Current state of the music business

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Current state of the music business

Postby mhnso » Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 am

I really love the current state of music business. Here is my imaginary discussion on a record company.
-Right we are not selling many physical albums anymore but...there are still a few enthusiasts that we can rip of.
Uhh-how?
-Well we sell the same s-t over and over in different packagings.
-That sounds cool.
-Yeah .and we remaster it every now and then-this will give lot s of the suckers out there enough angst to go out and buy the whole shebang once again?
-Anything more.
-Of course dude-we make different versions in different countries with different song. So they have to buy it once again
-Awesome-more ideas
-Of course man. When it s time for a tour we make an exklusive tour version of everything-including t-shirts, toothbrush and some more accessories .
-Ok -so now we have sold the same product about 15 times
-Right man aint it good news. And the we make some exklusive hirez downloadning as well so 16 times to be exact
-You are a genius man.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Current state of the music business

Postby mr h atom » Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 am

spot on...and the reason why i do not buy rereleases...no matter how much it hurts

'sides...now, with the internet...rather than letting the biz (or, let's face it, the artist: the usually very willing accomplice) rip me off...i'll just listen to whatever there...and not give them any more $$ directly...

i, lately, only buy records i do not already have...whether old releases i never had or new

frinstance...earlier this year, i had me a sparkly new $50 amazon card...i coulda used it to pay for part of that spiffed up version of my beloved...which i still can't bring myself to indulge in for all the reasons you mentioned...and the fact that i've already bought: the original lp...the club sandwich, 2-lp set...the original cd...the cd redo w/ check my machine/secret friend...

that's FIVE dips in the MaccaDeux pond BEFORE there was even a thought for the spiffy, lamborghini version now out there...

so, instead, i bought...

a paulo nutini album....a bob mould album...a vangelis album...a robert plant album...and a depeche mode album: all older stuff i'd never picked up before...but i'm 5 albums up...not just one overpriced retread

did the exact same thing right after christmas...four albums and one gigantic box set for the exact same cost as M2: the overglorious reboot

true story M...good job :salute
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri May 09, 2014 3:50 am

Well I buy some rereleases because I collect boxsets. McCartney 2 and some other deluxeeditions actuLly add something But it s a bit to much of these things. Me I just preordered a 9 cd 1 dvd limited edition Box fr.o.m. Nils Lofren-personally numbered and signed by the artist. But much of these stuff have been out of print. What really bugs me is when they release new albums like New in hmm new editions. Thats not fair
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 pm

I've been selective in my buying of the re-releases. Yes on MCCARTNEY, RAM, BAND ON THE RUN. No on WINGS OVER AMERICA, MCCARTNEY II. (Although a friend of mine did burn me a copy of the WOA remaster...glad I didn't buy it...didn't hear much of a difference).

Future re-releases I would buy: RED ROSE SPEEDWAY, WILD LIFE, LONDON TOWN.

Future re-releases I won't buy: AT THE SPEED OF SOUND, BACK TO THE EGG.

That would bring us up to TUG OF WAR. That one I might go for...but, not PIPES OF PEACE.

And, so on...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Sat May 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Jack White has a new album coming out June 10. He is about the only current artist out there today that I like enough to get the album on release day. Now I see he's got an "ultra lp" version complete with......wait for it.............FLOATING HOLOGRAMS......... really Jack? :shock:

Here's a link that lists all the bells and whistles if anyone's interested: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 90171.html

I wonder how many versions he will come out with for this. I wonder how many versions a 20 year old kid that's really into Jack will have to buy in his lifetime.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:19 pm

I would respectfully disagree with you on that, lobby. There are a number of really good artists-- new, old, and in between-- still making really good music. You just don't hear it on the radio, because the general taste of the American public (and the WORLD public, since everything ties into everything these days) SUCKS. If there isn't a hip hop artist doing a rap in the middle of ANY song now (slight exaggeration, but only slight), it won't get played.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Sat May 17, 2014 8:23 pm

With all due respect, I really don't know what your disagreeing with. I just made a statement of fact about my listening choices. I am sure there is great music out there, I just don't have the time or inclination to go search for it.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:41 pm

oh, excuse me, lobby. I was just pointing out that there is a LOT of good music out there, despite what one might think, or what one might hear on "popular" radio.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to MACCA - all discussions