McCartney VS Lennon

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: McCartney VS Lennon

Postby ringo7165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:31 am

MCartney vs. Lennon (solo)

TIE :cheers :bounce :-h :-h :-h \M/ \M/ \:d/ :-BD

I love Yoko's stuff in general ( Sometime in NYC being the nadir)....she has written great songs, lyrics and CAN sing in key ( quite well)....

I used to play the "yoko game " with all sorts of friends.

I would simply not identify her, (call her someone else, not necessarily known)....and I always got a favorable reaction. Always.

I would play a nice chunk on tape, let it play in background, and observe. Yup. Very positive reviews.

Interesting, eh. Ram On.
ringo7165

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Mhnso, you're TOTALLY WRONG!!!! On EVERYTHING!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:05 am

the M is never wrong !!!!!!! :-BD

matts...quit being such a slithy tove...elvis, the M 'n me are right...and you, once again...are wrong...

make like don henley and get over it already... :YMHUG:

ringo...you must have some really tone deaf friends...that or some good weed...'cause that's about the only way a sane person could call yoko stuff...good

heck, even the lone yoko fan i once knew knew her stuff was...specious...

what ? what's that you're sayin'...can't hear you...some sort of bizarre alien wailing...like something out of a '80's monster movie....wait...

oh, it's just some stray yoko tape loop....wha??? oh my...all the dogs have just fled the block !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:43 am

Yoko Onos music is not something for everyone - thats for sure. Actually I find most of her recordings more unpleasant to listen to than Press to Play. :-D
Remember I m always right.
Concerning Lennon-there is no doubt that the man was a genius of sorts. Even if his solo work is a mixed bag there is enough diamonds there to confirm that fact. Even though I find some of the more political stuff a bit preachy, hypocritical and self-indulgent. Also a song like working-clas hero-great at it is- is a bit bizarre regarding the fact that John was the one beatle who wasn t working-class.
Plastic Ono band and Imagine are the two Lennon albums I wouldn t wanna live without. Walls and bridges and Mind games has great moments to-just like Double Fantasy. His version of Stand by me is one of the all time greatest recordings(in my book).
Five Macca songs that shows his output is -at least .on the same level as Lennons. To make a fair comparison I take tracks from the years Lennon was productictive
Maybe Im amazed
Backseat of my car
Coming up
Jet
Live and let die
Those five songs are no way of inferior quality than Lennons from the same period.Add to those tracks Imagine, Jealous guy, Gimme some truth, Mother, Woman
plus My sweet Lord, All things must pass and It don t come easy.
Voila-one of the best beatlesalbums. I could easily make some more great Beatlesalbums from the moptops seventies output.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby ringo7165 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 am

come to think of It Mr H, we definitely were smoking a lot of weed during that period ( Ono Box 1992)
Oh well, the critics really liked it ( Ono BOX, that is....and perhaps the "weed" too) \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
But yeah, I understand that she is definitely not for everyone...I certaintly steer clear from her sqeeking/screaming
I got my intro to Yoko (age13) by mistakenly purchasing ( for 1$) Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band (1970)
Very Spinal Tap !! I put the thing on and never heard anything like it
...just a field day for a couple of brats....It was the craziest thing I ever heard...WHY WHY WHY WHY.
I was horrified... :twisted: :evil:
but thrilled to hear a couple of years later ( summer of 1980), on college radio !!! " Woman Power" and another one
from 73, that was jazzy, and cute and featured a melody.
I couldn't believe it....and I really liked it....so I became curious...etc
I used to go to the Harvard Square Theatre for "Beatles Movies" circa 1978, and was curious to hear
the crowd always "booing" yoko during Let it Be
I would crack the place up with a 13 year olod ....W...H....Y.....eeeehhheee aahhahhahhaahhhh WHY WHY !!!
What would we do without Yoko
Nice to see the World accepts her more as a human being 45 years on....
She ( and Linda) really took a lot of ***censored***
People are inherently cruel.....didn't they realize John and Paul loved their wives, wasn't that sufficient?
ringo7165

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 am

nice posts, both of you...

look...i'd never boo yoko, i'm not a fan, for alot of reasons, but just becasue she is yoko ?? nah...

...i haven't spun any of her stuff in decades: my tastes have grown and widened since then, so you never know...

but...they were pretty wide then, too..and in amidst all the really wierd and off the wall stuff i was listening to...yoko did not cut it....

i'm well aware that there are alot of peeps who like/love her stuff: more power to 'em

i also think you're dead on in that both the misses took way too much heat for really no reasons...

i'm fully in agreement w/M on one thing...my beef w/john would most def be in that he was often way too preachy, sanctimoniuos, self-indulgent and, especially, hypocritical...M's assesment was quite spot on for me, too...

good job, both
mr h atom

Postby james1985 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Yoko's arguably better now than ever. This is off her album last year. Love it!

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 pm

:shock: ...ooohh...that's the best i've ever heard her sound :-D

it must be exactly what simon & garfunkle had in mind when they penned 'the sounds of silence' :wink:
mr h atom

Postby james1985 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm

That's the nutopian national anthem of posts.... :-D

I dunno, blame Mike!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter