McCartney VS Lennon

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: McCartney VS Lennon

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Nobody said SINYC was a great album. I don't even think it's a GOOD album. Too much Yoko for my tastes, for one. However, I think it's NOT a disaster, as many people seem to think it is.

Yes, Yoko's lyrical contribution to "Luck Of The Irish" isn't exactly Dylanesque.

Paul would never write such tripe:

Sunlight's morning glory
tells the story of our love
moonlight on the water
brings me inspiration ever after

Actually, that song could use a leprauchan or two.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 am

Just an incidental point as we tangentially stray into the world of the Ono...have any of you guys heard her track 'Move on Fast'?
I think its from her album 'Approximately Infinite Universe' from '72/'73---its a cracking good tune!
:shock:
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:13 am

Mattal, you're comparing apples to oranges with your lyric comparison. Paul was writing a love song, John and Yoko were trying to make a big political statement. John's part is fine, but Yoko's is laughable. If you like the album, I respect that; I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but as a John Lennon album it's so disappointing it's painful to me.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 pm

my point, efghij, is that people who admire those who live in glass houses (us Macca fans) shouldn't throw stones (laughing at other artists' lyrics).

Paul's written some pretty fine lyrics.

He's written some good lyrics.

He's written some forgettable lyrics.

And, he's written some embarrassingly BAD lyrics. "Warm & Beautiful" just being the tip of the iceburg.

Now, all of you out there who love Macca so much you are blinded by any semblance of objectivity (which, for the record, INCLUDES me on occasion), please don't respond how wonderful you think W&B is, or how the lyrics are great, etc. They're not. Come on. This was an album closer intended to make a "statement" about love. However, it comes across lyrically like a rejected Hallmark Card, sung over an almost amateurish, original high school prom song melody. This could be an outtake from "The Rutles."
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Ii think Warm and beatiful is a very nice ballad. The words might not be highpoetry but nice song
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Paul and John started out writing together. Later, one would start the other would finish.

As I said in another thread, John has been elevated to God like status due to his murder. I think that has a lot to do with Paul vs. John. Since John's death he can do no wrong, that is what I am feeling from others who say John is better than Paul. John made some good music and Paul made some good music. I think it all depends on who you really like: John or Paul? I have always liked Paul from 1964 to present. John is good but I have ALWAYS liked Paul better so naturally I am going to say Paul is better but in actuality, it depends on which one YOU like.

AGAIN , John has been elevated to God like status and that is why most people are saying he is better than Paul in most things including music.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 am

WARM AND BEAUTIFUL IS A LOVELY BALLAD...MAYBE THE BEST SONG OFF THAT ALBUM...CERTAINLY BETTER THAN ANYTHING OFF STINCY...i mean STINYC

LOVE IT NOW...HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THAT SONG :-W

...anyone L-) who says otherwise ???

....is asking fer a buncha fivers... B-(

that bullying crap don't work on me, matts, i'm immune...

anyone who has to tear down anybody elses songs/work/art just to make a sucky effort look good loses points in my book....nuff freakin' said
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 am

Mr. H, I don't know what you're talking about.

I was responding to someone trashing Yoko's lyrics. But, if you're a fan of Paul's, this is rock throwing from glass houses. Sorry. I know you're a big Paul fan. So am I. It would be silly to get into a "I'm a bigger Paul fan than you!" argument.

I am just saying that Paul has written some ATROCIOUS lyrics. And "Warm & Beautiful" is among the very worst.

But, he has written hundreds and hundreds of songs, so he can get a pass on some bad lyrics. I'm not arguing that.

You absolutely LOVE MCCARTNEY II. That's wonderful. I think it's the worst album he's ever released. An embarrassment. But, this kind of stuff is subjective. Everyone's entitled to their...etc., etc., etc.

Now, of course, I expect a nasty reply. Go ahead, Mr. H. I don't care. Blast away. I won't be silenced at my age anymore on how I feel about music. I wouldn't be on this board if I wasn't a HUGE, unapologetic Macca fan. I defend stuff of his that many people roll their eyes at. But, some stuff is indefensible.

OK, rambling rant over!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 am

Oh yeah, this is heating up nicely...!

\M/
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mhnso » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:17 am

)^ Now this is starting to be the same heated debate that always starts when
1. Comparisons between Lennon and McCartney is the topic
2. Maccas flair(or lack of flair some would say( with lyrics
3. Certain Macca songs that some love some hates.

I prefer not to take part in this kind of fights. Why is that
1. Taste is a subjective thing
2. There is room for both Maccas and Johns music
3. I am always right anyway. Warm and beautiful is a loverly and underrated ballad(ask Elvis Costello who think that very song is one of Pauls finest. STINYC is one mess of an album-some decent tracks but mostly musical s-t and self-indulgence bordering on the obscene.Actually I always wondered how on earth Lennon could get away with some of his most hypocritical and self-indulgent stuff without being slaughtered by the critics. I would place Ebony and Ivory or Mary had a little lamb far above most anything on STINYC Those things are facts and nothing to discuss really. :-D ^:)^
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions