McCartney VS Lennon

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: McCartney VS Lennon

Postby ringo7165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Martha,

Better yet...pick an entire album....( Paul can't be summed up in some 5 song randomness)

Give em one of your favorite Pauls albums, and make sure it is listened to from start to finish. Better yet, pick 2.

This is not a game show. :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Good luck however you do it
ringo7165

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Here's my five (1980 and prior, to be fair to John):

(1) MAYBE I'M AMAZED (which John sang along to during an interview with Howard Smith while a Beatles Weekend was playing on the radio in the background. This in 1972, when their relationship was at it's most fragmented and estranged!)

(2) 3 LEGS (another tune John claimed to have liked on RAM: "I like the bit about 3 Legs...")

(3) HI, HI, HI

(4) DAYTIME NIGHTTIME SUFFERING

(5) I'M CARRYING
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jgkojak » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:11 am

I consider the topic ridiculous - both were EQUALLY important.

But if you insist on playing this game... let's rank the albums released during period of solo activity...

McCartney 7/10
Plastic Ono Band 9/10
Winner: LENNON

Imagine 9/10
Ram 9/10
Winner: TIE

Red Rose Speedway 5/10
Mind Games 4/10
Winner: MCCARTNEY

Band on the Run 10/10
Walls and Bridges 8/10
Winner: MCCARNEY

Rock n Roll/Shaved Fish
Venus and Mars
Winner: MCCARTNEY

Double Fantasy
McCartney II
Winner: LENNON
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby garrystanton » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:37 am

Kojak- I love Paul and John pretty much the same and will always defend John
when he comes under fire for his mid 70s output etc. But I would say that Paul's McCartney II
beats Double Fantasy hands down, despite the handful of good songs on DF- Watching the Wheels, Starting Over,
I'm Losing You- but Macca 2, for me, would clinch that mini-contest! ( not forgetting Yoko's stuff, some of which
is admittedly ok...!)

:smile:
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:33 am

jgkoak, it's all subjective, I know...but not the dates.

I was enjoying BAND ON THE RUN for weeks and weeks in 1973.

Paul didn't release anything in 1974 other than, I think, "Junior's Farm," and, of course, his participation in (domination of) his brother's album, McGEAR.

SHAVED FISH doesn't count. It's a crappy, slapped together Greatest Hits package.

IMAGINE has better songs than RAM, as much as I like RAM.

MIND GAMES is MUCH better than RRS.

I'd rather listen to ROCK AND ROLL than V&M any day of the week.

And, YES, I am a McCartney fan, before I get accused of favoring Lennon here. I'm just being fair. I am not a big fan of Paul's spotty 70's work. He was up. He was down. Sometimes within the same album. Lennon was much more consistent.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby MarthaMyDeer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks for all the help guys

As I said before it was just for fun nothing too serious and thought I would ask you guys and gals
MarthaMyDeer

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:21 am

I would add that everyone is forgetting about John's "Sometime in New York City". Surely a loser to any McCartney album of the times.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:45 pm

SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY was a commercial disaster, and the critics didn't like it either. But, the intention wasn't for another SGT PEPPER. They were trying to make a record that dealt with the events of the day, and with their personal take on it all. On that level, except for some of the unlistenable Yoko stuff, it works for me.

"New York City" is one of Lennon's finest, straight on, rock and roll songs. The band plays the hell out of that song (and the guitar solo is killer).

"John Sinclair," whether you agree with the lyric or not (and these days, seems like Lennon's take on this has become more the norm than the exception), is a strong bit of rockabilly/blues. I don't know who is playing that lead slide, but it's great stuff!

"Luck Of The Irish" is probably the nices collab between John & Yoko ever. A beautiful song.

"Woman Is The N****r Of The World" is another one that was sort of ahead of it's time. Witness the current battle in Congress (40+ years AFTER the so-called Women's Movement, yet!) over equal pay between men and women.

I'd rather have an artist speak their minds, and fail, then to play it safe. If Paul can be criticized for something, it is the latter. Although, again, in the last 15-2o years, he's become more vocal in his opinions on things that matter to him, and millions of others. So, bravo, Paul, for not being afraid to express those feelings.
Last edited by Mattal1958 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Intentions don't make a great album. Sometime in New York City is mostly dreck to me. Aside from "New York City" and "John Sinclair" (both of which, strangely, I rarely listen to), it's almost completely unlistenable; dated and muddy sounding. The lyrics to many of these songs are half-baked at best. I'm sorry, the melody to "Luck of the Irish" is wonderful and there seems to be a germ of an idea there, but hackneyed lines like "let's walk over rainbows like leprechauns/the world would be one big blarney stone" drains the powerful impact it should have and thus spoils it for me. Really, the best thing on the album is the live cover "Well (Baby Please Don't Go)", with Frank Zappa playing some smoking lead guitar.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Nobody said SINYC was a great[b][i] album. I don't even think it's a GOOD album. Too much Yoko for my tastes, for one. However, I think it's NOT a disaster, as many people seem to think it is.[/b][/i]

Yes, Yoko's lyrical contribution to "Luck Of The Irish" isn't exactly Dylanesque.

Paul would never write such tripe:

Sunlight's morning glory
tells the story of our love
moonlight on the water
brings me inspiration ever after

Actually, that song could use a leprauchan or two.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions