Any Wings Fans here ?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Any Wings Fans here ?

Postby mhnso » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

In all honesty I find it a bit tragic that Denny Laine has to dwell in these sorts of things to make a living. But if he enjoys it I m wrong
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:09 pm

hmmmm...let's get philosophical...

i wonder if MPL pays him any/alot of royalty $$...after all, you'd think there'd be quite a bit of that for all the work he did do...what with being one of the integral parts of just about one of the biggest bands of the entire 1970's...and pauls (supposed) TLC outlook towards past singer/songwriters/musicians

...and i wonder if those royalties cause him to be ...a bit reticent in speaking his mind fully...

wherever and whatever has brought him (...and many, many others in all sorts of fields) to have to 'dwell' in these sort of things...is this where he makes alot/most of his income ?

or is he well enough off that he does it just to be closer to the fans...

does he spend as much time talking about his days with the Moodies as he might his days with Wings

does he have anyone to blame for where he is, career-wise (IF that is even a bad place: he might be quite content), other than himself ??
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:47 am

I read somewhere that Paul bought out Dennys royaltypart For Mull of Kintyre for something like 1 million dollars. Lots of money but for that song- no. After that Denny went bancrupt and his solocareer doesn t seem all that lucrative. Personally I believe mr Lane is well out of money and thats why he does certain eh things. Guess Paul is rather tight with money- something a few Wingsmembers and others bare witness on. But mostly Denny himself is to blame- he never took real care of his talent
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:32 pm

:-?? ...by 'taking care' of his 'talent'...i'm guessing you mean he didn't USE his obvious connection to paul/wings to aggrandize himself (...and, thus, his new-found solo career) to the greater world in the manner of which we've so often seen others do when they part ways with a former group ?

...i'm sure you didn't actually mean ti infer he had a great deal of talent to offer...

something that he might've actually used as an integral part of wings, to further enhance it's...being a 'band'...

..'cause, as we all know...there were no really talented members of wings other than paul...they rest were all just hacks...journeymen of the near lowest order

...just me...crackin' open an old, kinda dented can o' worms to set out to stew... :wink:
mr h atom

Postby ringo7165 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Denny is fine with money. ( I don't have exact figures)...but one can ascertain that he is, and has been, alright.

He plays gigs cos he is a lifelong musician - and he enjoys it.

He sounds great on interviews - looks and sounds at peace -and that is what matters.

His solo work has brought us some excellent tunes. His show displays his talents...and pays homage to Wings.

He's been plenty famous for one lifetime.

He can play anytime, and will get my support, because I like him, and he was CORE to Wings, and did a GREAT job !!!!

Paul could not have made a better choice
ringo7165

Postby mhnso » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 am

Denny Laine was a great talent-one of the really great blue-eyed soul singers. Proof is the first album by the Moody Blues. His talents might not always have shone through with Wings but his harmony vocals and instrumental input is vital to the certain magic Wings possessed. Also think his rendition of Go now is one of the highlights of Rockshow. Don t know much of his current financial status but actually think he lost some of his fortune in the eighties.I don t think, for some reason or another, that his original artistic promise have shown much in his solo output. Also feel a bit sad a couple of years back seeing that he tried to sell one of his guitars(originally Pete Townshend) on his website. Still his work with Moody Blues and with Macca will always be proof of the talent eheonce possessed.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 pm

yeah...but there are alot of reasons why people sell things off...and it's not always money...

alot of artists seem to do so when they feel it is time to move on...to let go of the excess...the baggage that ties them too much to one place, one time....

..and, if i remember right, you, mr m, are a bit of a bob mould fan...so, using your theory (which i'm probably misinterpreting: sorry) could we assume that, because he doesn't sell out arenas...or have top 20/10/1 hits....and/or instant radio/internet recognition that he is not now doing some of the best work of his life ??

could the same be said, then, of denny ??

i'll be honest...i'm not very familiar with what dennys' been up to...but those clips that surfaced a while back didn't sound all that bad to me...so, for all we know...he could be doing some interesting, very nice work, indeed...

radio, as many of us once knew it, is pretty much dead: especially for older artists who are still trying to make a place in the sun of our meager perambulations..so, we can't go by that...is there anybody who's actually followed him through the years...i, sadly, know i haven't...
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:26 am

I don t know whats Denny s up to either. From what I ve heard he has had financial problems - don t think he is starting though. But I v heard some of his solostuff and most of it sucks. Thats the grim reality. If he d been more clever and perhaps Paul less smart the royalties of Mull of Kintyre alone would have secured Denny
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby vintage61lefty » Fri May 02, 2014 11:47 am

ringo7165 wrote:Denny is fine with money. ( I don't have exact figures)...but one can ascertain that he is, and has been, alright.

He plays gigs cos he is a lifelong musician - and he enjoys it.

He sounds great on interviews - looks and sounds at peace -and that is what matters.

His solo work has brought us some excellent tunes. His show displays his talents...and pays homage to Wings.

He's been plenty famous for one lifetime.

He can play anytime, and will get my support, because I like him, and he was CORE to Wings, and did a GREAT job !!!!

Paul could not have made a better choice

well said !

mr h atom wrote:i'll be honest...i'm not very familiar with what dennys' been up to.....is there anybody who's actually followed him through the years...i, sadly, know i haven't...

Silver and Gold? ^:)^

mhnso wrote:I don t know whats Denny s up to either.

Hope someone off of this forum wins the trip to CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

HERE is the entry form, good luck ,lads and lassies . Contest ends in 7 more days.
vintage61lefty

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Sun May 11, 2014 12:02 am

I didn't win. Dang.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions