Ultimate touring line up?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Ultimate touring line up?

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

What's your ultimate line up for a touring band for Paul, using only those who have been in his bands since 1970?

Not including occasional contributors like David Gilmour or Eric Stewart, just those who have been either proper members of Wings or his solo touring band.

Here's mine-

Drums - A straight fight between Joe English or Abe. Both contribute(d) fine backing vocals, which is a bonus, but for sheer stage presence I'm going to put Mr Abe Laboriel Jr. on the stool.

Keyboards - Wix has now been with Paul for 25 years!! That cannot be overlooked so he's a cert for the band. His old mate Linda is also guaranteed a place in my line up without debate.

Second guitar/bass - Sorry Brian and Hamish, but Denny Laine was too integral a part of Paul's career for so long to be ignored. I also was surprised to see just how big a presence he was on stage when I saw Rockshow at the cinema last year.

Lead guitar - For me this is a toss up between Robbie McIntosh and Jimmy McCulloch (after listening to Back In The World last night as part of my ongoing Maccathon I just can't justify considering Rusty). Anyway, Robbie would be the more versatile choice, but because of his potential for something really great had his life turned out happier, I'm going for young Jimmy.

So that's-

Drums - Abe Laboriel Jr.
Keys - Wix and Linda
Second guitar/bass - Denny Laine
Lead Guitar - Jimmy McCulloch

Oh, and Paul of course!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Re: Ultimate touring line up?

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:02 pm

I'll take the guys he has now. That's not to say I don't appreciate all the other iterations of the band. I love the "Wings Over America" lineup as well as the "Ram" era lineup. Both are rather different but still very satisfying. The "Back To The Egg" lineup was too short-lived perhaps for me to form an opinion. The "Tripping The Live..." band was very good, but that band seems too 'clean' for me. His current band benefits from all that went before it and seems more like a real band to me.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:27 pm

I'll take the following on the road:

Paul-lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, piano, mandolin, uke, and anything else he wants to play, lead vocals.

Linda-assorted percussion, backing vocals.

Jimmy-lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals.

Brian-rhythm guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals.

Wix- keyboards, backing vocals.

Joe-drums, backing vocals

Tony Dorsey – trombone, percussion
Howie Casey – saxophone, percussion

Steve Howard – trumpet, flugelhorn, percussion
Thaddeus Richard – saxophone, clarinet, Western concert flute, percussion
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby savillerowdie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 pm

This is tough, but I think I overall have to go with the '76 Wings touring band as a whole.
I love his current band, especially Abe, but I really wish I could've seen the Wings Over America show live in person.

The other Macca band incarnation I really love is the Denny Seiwell/Henry McCullough version of Wings. Perhaps not the most proficient, but they had a certain funkiness. I love some of that tour footage of them together. I always wonder what Band On The Run would've sounded like if they hadn't split.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Savillerowdie, you're right about that Denny Siewell/ Henry McCullough combo; they had a certain something. I wish more of the live stuff from this era would come out.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:08 pm

the current band is great, no doubt about it. I don't think Paul would have had them this long if he didn't think they were top notch, and very adaptable, musicians.

Here's my band:

drums- Abe
second guitar/occasional bassist- Brian Ray
lead guitarist- Robbie McIntosh.
keyboards- Wix
moral support- Linda

But, just some comments about some of the others...Denny Laine was obviously a MAJOR part of Paul's solo years. Not just as a band member, but he wrote or co-wrote many Wings songs, and sang lead on several, as well.

That ill fated "Back To The Egg" lineup never really had a chance to gel, but Steve Holly (who lately has toured with Ian Hunter) and Laurence Juber were supurb musicians. Juber, just on technical ability, might be the best guitarest of all of them. Check out his gorgeous acoustic albums. That guy can play with ANYONE.

Hamish was a talented guy, not just as a guitarest and bassist, but also singing.

Rusty is terrific, too, but the talent at guitar in Paul's bands over the years has been very high level. Jimmy McCulloch was dynamic in his short stint, no doubt. His power chords and riffing really helped give Wings it's rock and roll chops on that first American tour in '76. Pity he was so troubled.

Paul's list of drummers reads like Spinal Tap's...Seiwell, Conway, Britton, English, Holly, Whitten, Cunningham...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:59 pm

In terms of sheer musicianship, I would have to go for:

Paul- bass, guitars, piano, vocals etc
Abe on drums- solid, flamboyant, fun and good vocally
Laurence Luber- fantastic musician, if slightly clean for my taste...
Wix, naturally, on keys and musical overseeing
Brian Ray- second guitar/ bass/ vocals

Sorry, no room for Denny Laine. Despite his importance to Paul during the early years
and on into Wings, he was never up to the level of musicianship of the guys named above.
Nice guy, but sorry DL!

\M/
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mr h atom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 pm

i prefer jaurance luber...laurences' older brother...

while he only played on one song...which...i can't remember...i remember it was pretty spiffy

too bad about that rogue elephant...that sort of thing doesn't usually happen in downtown seattle very often...but at least laurence got the next nod...and a nifty elephant foot table

..wait...never mind
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I thought he got a trunk.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

no...they found him in the trunk...silly

...worse...is that the danged thing sat on him :shock:

..talk about daytime nighttime suffering X_X

...i got a million of these, folks...an, yes, they're all this bad :wink:
Last edited by mr h atom on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions