Since we're doing lists....

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Since we're doing lists....

Postby james1985 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Thinking on it, maybe Spirits Of Ancient Egypt is the worst...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:48 pm

mr h atom wrote:...i'm thinking that if 'loup...' and 'frozen...' had different titles, no one would think they were borderline racist in the slightest...neither 'sound' at all like racist material...both are rather bouyant, upbeat, poppish instrumentals...

I love the music of Frozen Jap.

The title and 'that picture' on the gatefold, judged by today's standards (which I think are the correct standards) are pretty horrendous.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:32 pm

james1985 wrote:
mr h atom wrote:...i'm thinking that if 'loup...' and 'frozen...' had different titles, no one would think they were borderline racist in the slightest...neither 'sound' at all like racist material...both are rather bouyant, upbeat, poppish instrumentals...

I love the music of Frozen Jap.

The title and 'that picture' on the gatefold, judged by today's standards (which I think are the correct standards) are pretty horrendous.

I think that might just be a bit of social commentary on his japan drug bust. just a hunch.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 pm

I've always quite liked "Spirits of Ancient Egypt"...love that rhythm section. The live version is outrageously good.
Can we count bonus tracks? If so, I'll suggest "All You Horse Riders" but not the (unfortunately) attached "Blue Sway".
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 pm

it most definately is a wild and weird, to-each-his-own kinda world, EF...i happen to firmly believe that both JG and james are pretty intelligent blokes with (usually) pretty good taste in music: that firmament is not in the least bit shaken (or stirred) at some of thier picks - we must remember...even the best have their off days :-D

i, too, am quite fond of SOAE...just as i'm sure there is some pure sot who loves 'rudolf the red nosed reggae'

as to maccas frame of mind on FJ...well, some of you splurged for that ginormous $100+ box set a wee bit back...a few bought/read good ol' lucas tome ??

any ideas there as to maccas frame of mind ?

i'm with chris, i think there probably was some pointed commentary...but i have also always believed it was more than likely aimed at a hypocritical govt and/or an overzealouse police/prosecutorial dept

as jaundiced as i can sometimes be on this sort of thing...while my extremely meager research often finds alot of police depts to actively try to aspire to be good, honest and realsitic...i also find that some are also quite often inundated with horrendous, sideshow seeking types who, in this case, imho, really only wanted to make a very public point with a very major 'star'

...the macca incident (and others, i'm sure) could have and should have been dealt with in a far better way...the 'attitude' on the part of their govt, the police, prosecutors...from a people who just commited more than quite a few atrocities just 20-30 years earlier, smacks of the worst form of hypocrosy to me: let me see ??

to regularly ignore your own bad decisions, governmental or otherwise, that affect thousands, if not millions, but to hound people for making personal decisions that, realistically, harm nobody at all...

honest balance, there ?

i think not...end rant

if suffering through a meager, quirky instrumental with an iffy name is bad as they get from macca...then i betcha the japanese'll get over it...

who knows...maybe he'll get to tour there again someday...oh...wait...silly me
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 am

Mr H, it wasn't just the title of the song, but that photo in the gate as someone mentioned here. The combo left no doubt as to Paul's intent.

HOWEVER...bad choice as it may have been re: title of song and photo in gatefold, this was most DEFINITELY a reaction to the ridiculously over-zealous law enforcers of Japan over a substance that, in many states today, you can buy over the counter along with your Tic Tacs and energy drinks.

I've recently listened to some old interviews of John Lennon. Some of the things he said in them would be considered politically incorrect today. I still laughed at the comments, in spite of this. I don't think the intent was bad. It was a different time.

Paul deserves a pass, I guess, on this, too.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 pm

It doesn't seem to have bothered any of Macca's Japanese fans, unless I've missed something.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38 pm

curious...

i'm looking at the 'gatefold' for my '87 cd copy (long ago lost the original lp): 4 pics...

on the front cover (worried look: mugshot ?)

1st inside (maccas back/kid tugging shirt)...nothing offensive there

full inside...macca & the birds under the rainbow ! w/3 insets:

macca w/round glasses (appearing to mug snobbily)...not offensive unless you're an upperly mobile twit who never found monty python in the least bit funny

macca hides behind colorful beads/candy/kids toy...i'm offended only because the red & white shirt makes it look an awful lot like he's a BoSox fan

and then...macca holding up white rimmed glasses, with pink lenses, puckering his lips and squinking his eyes which gives his face a thin, pinched, possibly (probably ?) asian look...

this is, i'm guessing, the supposedly offending photo...yet...is it really more offending than the first photo ?
sure, he strikes a pose...or is it, in correlation with the others, just a dude mucking about...

yes...considering the drug bust and his obvious and vocal disdain over all that...and the title of that song, that some might easily construe a greater, more egregious act of mockery, but...is it ?

were the same pics in all the recent versions ??

i mention this all not to deflect criticism over this, but to ponder or discuss...

i think he was...gently mocking...but i am, admittedly, prejudiced as to what i think his intent may have been...

but no moreso than in the first one, where he clearly is mocking the same sort of upward english snobbery that the pythons so often did...

and. for that matter, they quite often portrayed 'others' in the same sort of less than flattering light...

my question is...is it really, in full context, a slam on an entire people...or just as much doodling about as alot of that very same record was ??

discuss..or not...i do not care !!

well...yes i do...but not that much :wink:
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 am

Mr. H.

Interesting dissection of it all, however...my gut reaction when I bought the original vinyl seconds after it was released in 1980:

(1)"Frozen Jap"
(2) squinty-eyed pic in the gatefold.

reaction: "oh, my...really, Paul?"

I think "licensed comedians" (I'm being gently sarcastic there), like Python (well, especially Python) have much more "license" to do politically incorrect humor.

Famous songwriters don't have quite that much room for error. Even if they did star in madcap movies like "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" OH, and "Magical Mystery Tour." That was a comedy, right? it certainly made me laugh!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

actually, mine, too...i clearly thought there was a conotation...but, for me, it was no different than the one being used with that first picture: mccartney has often showed a disdain for groups that wield power over personal life/decisions (freedom ! i'm talking 'bout FREEDOM !)

...however, my reaction was not one of 'oh, my !'

but 'zing ! that'll teach ya ta mess with a big star '...after all, they'll as often give ya the ginormous, in-yo-face, smackdown by using their art...just as as an oscar wilde or a mark twain would've done, if ya cross 'em !

i've always thought that he was just goofing around...using the (basically) normal comedic contretemps of the moment, of his peers and of his generation...

...i certainly never took the song as mockery; for me, the song is more a playful, zippy, smile-inducing tune...from that alone (and you'd think that it might be the biggest barometer of all), it never seemed to me that he set out to do harm...

having said that..if the song in question were 'ebony and ivory' and the gatefold pictures in TOW...and paul in any manner, way or form jested at black people...worse wore blackface and tried to excuse it away (not, to the best of my knowledge, that he ever has with this)...there is no doubt all discerning people, myself included, would NOT be giving him any sort of a pass...

..altogether...bad taste...bad form...no excuses
Last edited by mr h atom on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions