Brilliance or Annoyance?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Brilliance or Annoyance?

Postby lobbybobby » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Anyone that doesn't get Monkberry doesn't get Macca 8)

That is all on this topic.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm

garrystanton...he doesn't say the dog did a doo doo on his carpet. That is YOUR interpretation. Maybe the dog spilled something, or knocked something over, or ripped some lyrics written on a piece of paper to shreds.

Also, the song is brilliant because it can be interpreted in other ways...as a straight love song.

The tune is gorgeous.

The arrangement equally so.

The lyrics are wonderfully tongue in cheek, and a beautiful tribute to Martha.

Sorry.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:12 pm

lobby, I GET Macca.

I also GET "Monkberry." Unfortunately. I GET that it sucks.

:) :) :)
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Monkberry Moon Delight is near the top of the heap of Paul's solo career and stands up to some of the best he's ever done. The lyrics are madly brilliant, not unlike Lennon's "Glass Onion" or "I Am The Walrus". And no one ever says those lyrics are stupid and therefore those songs suck. Why not give the same consideration for this great tune and performance? Supposedly the lyrics are framed around his then small kids mispronunciation of certain words and phrases. Milk was called monk by the kids and monkberry moon delight was a fantasy milk shake. It's abstract art and what's wrong with that?

As for "Martha My Dear", I've always found the lyrics to be quite sentimental and touching, especially when they remind me of beloved pets I've had.
Last edited by efghijiloveyou on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 am

big, hearty hugs to EF and LobbyB...two highly intelligent creatures of deep thought...

big raspberries of stinky mcstinkstinkberries for the shriveled, heartless, overly strident mewlings of the once great but now slowly fading mattal...who should, if the world were a proper place (which, sadly, it is not !) be known only as mr. nurse ratchit from now on :wink:

cold heartless fiend, that rules the night...removes the happiness from our sight...a diss on the monk is such a blight...but we decide which is right...and which, like you, is an illusion !!

:-D ...i just made that up !

kinda nifty, if'n ya ask me...which..well...y'know...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:22 am

Don't be so hard on him, Mr. H. Maybe Mattal's lactose intolerant. :smile:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 am

yeah...don't tell him, E...but he's OK in my book... :-D

just a little...daft, y'know :wink:
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm glad someone likes "Martha My Dear." :)

I will refrain from further desecration of the sanctified MMD. I will admit the riff is catchy and the vocal insane (in a good way). If I can ignore the words, I actually-- he admits, secretly-- ENJOY the tune.

Are y'all happy now!?!?!? :ymapplause:
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:14 pm

i think martha spilt the monkberry, silly girl...look what she'd done

i quite like a good martha...martha plimpton...martha white...martha washington....

when i'm in atlanta...i quite often ride the martha... :oops: ..um...MARTA...that's a bus/tram line...wrong connotation there

waiter...check, please...
mr h atom

Postby chris » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm

paul has always been...whimsical with his lyrics and titles. always. and he's always written metaphorically...that is...(unlike john)...we don't always know what he's writing about. as a result...he may come off as a weak lyricist when he is not. he knows how to write a song as well as anyone. look...paul wrote the book on modern songwriting.

besides...his playfulness has always been one of his charms. is it for everyone? probably not. but it comes with his proverbial territory. if you don't care for that style of song by him...it's cool...just love on down the paulie buffet. there is bound to be something you like.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions