Brilliance or Annoyance?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Brilliance or Annoyance?

Postby boog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:13 am

Macca Tunes like "Monkberry Moon Delight", "Goodnight Tonight", "C Moon", "Magneto and Titanium Man", "English Tea", "Temporary Secretary", etc. - Brilliance or Annoyance? Discuss.
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Brilliance or Annoyance?

Postby mr h atom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:51 am

brilliance...beyond absolution !!

most peeps don't 'get' macca...they expect him to be, forever, 'the beatle'...but they forget...

the beatles were, often, at the edge...maybe they didn't create it...maybe they just exploited it...but they definatively used it with glee !!

all the songs you mentioned ...and so many, many more...flow with a musical glee and certain form of manic inspiration !!

..and we could go on with that list, right ?

momma miss america...kreen akrore...uncle albert...smile away...wild life...loup...that RRS medley...helen wheels...1985...mamunia...venus and mars ARE alright tonight !!

more ??

he wrote cook of the house..and, at near the same time, warm and beautiful !!
he gave us girls school...all while giving us the elvisy name and address..while giving us the top 40 with a little luck...

he rocked out with spin it on...got offbeat with old siam and pastiched it with arrow through me...and brought together a rockestra all in one freakin' set of songs !!

...he gave us all the kaliadascopal splendiferousness of McCartney 2...and THAT is just the first half of his solo career: much has been made/discussed of late as to whether he's gotten even better at all this

the man, often fearlessly, dips and swoons into wherever his muse takes him...

and those of us brave enough go along for that ride often find a carnival of lights with nearly each journey...!!

the rest ??

they just sit there and wonder what he was smoking :roll:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 am

"Monkberry Moon Delight"-- embarrassingly bad lyrics. Silly, dumb, nonsensical...borderline insanity.
"Goodnight Tonight"-- mehh...decent attempt at cashing in on the Disco Era.
"C Moon"-- this song gets a lot more praise than I think it deserves, however, it is a nice little original bit of reggae.
"Magneto and Titanium Man"-- the studio version is awful, but the live version has some kick to it. The lyrics are absurd. And, not in a good way.
"English Tea"-- I think this is a very good song. Beautiful melody. Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek.
"Temporary Secretary"-- mehh.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

I think MrH said it all. Enjoy the musical ride. Savor him! And thanks for mentioning RRS medley and Girls' School. Love those tunes!!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:31 am

I'm not sure what original theme/criteria was used to build that list of songs we're discussing (I can't see a link between them?)

However, I'd say they are all various levels of brilliance without a doubt.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby boog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am

The common thread is, to me anyway, songs that John W Lennon (and many others) might have or did call "granny music" or shite. Not picking on John at all, I just think he would roll his eyes at most in that list.

Mr H Atom added many to the list and hit the theme well.

I love "Goodnight Tonight" and "Monkberry Moon Delight", but am "meh" on "C Moon" and "Magneto and Titanium Man" and can hardly stand "English Tea" and "Temporary Secretary".
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Postby garrystanton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:04 am

Boog et al,

I never really ever got Magneto, and English Tea, while deliberately twee, is just, well, twee.
The others I like a lot: Monkberry I absolutely love- the lyrics are fabulously weird (but not inane as someone said!), and
I think Paul's vocal performance on this track is brilliant. Goodnight Tonight is worth it just for the bass line, and I remember
the track as I used to try and tape it off the radio back in '79! Ok, that dates me a bit...
Temporary Secretary is annoying but gets away with it by dint of the fact that its bonkers and there really
was nothing else out there like it at the time.

There are others you could add: Morse Moose, The Broadcast (ok, annoying, sort of);
Ebony and Ivory is annoying and not brilliant; most of POP is annoying.
You can, of course, trace Paul's annoying/ brilliant streak way back.
Martha my Dear is a song many find a bit annoying- I think the lyrics are more or less meaningless
but man can our guy write a tune?

:-h
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby EddieV » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 am

Brilliance of course

I know that his lyrics sometimes aren´t that serious, but the melodies are fab. As a foreigner not English as his native language.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

"Martha My Dear" is annoying and the lyrics are MEANINGLESS?

Garrystanton, you have never had a dog, I'm assuming. That's one of the more beautiful songs Paul has ever written-- a valentine to his loyal Martha.

Really? Are you kidding me?

I can't not respond to that one.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Matt- re Martha, I agree with you! Its a fantastic tune!
But the lyrics are a bit....blueurghh.
His dog did a doodoo on the carpet- hold your head up...see what you've done....

Come on man, I did say 'can our man write a tune?' and, yes, he can..
I think Beatles scholar Iain McDonald said it was a 'scintillatingly gifted melody..'
something like that, anyway. And he was right, its a fab tune.
I just find the words a bit...meh. Sorry!
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions