My Current "Maccathon"

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: My Current "Maccathon"

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 am

jgkojak, totally agree with you on the single mix. Hadn't heard that since I HAD the bloody vinyl 45!! (what, 27 years ago?). Since then, I'd only listened (very rarely) to the bonus track version...which isn't anywhere as good as this one.

Thanks for posting and bringing back the memories! I'll have to steal this now and make an mp3 out of it for my library!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby boog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:48 pm

I love "Arrow through Me". I would put it as one of Paul's best solo ballads.

Am I in the minority?
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:22 pm

:-D I allus knew you was a smart kitty, JG :salute

...IF'n ya are in the minority, Boog...then WE are the smarterest group indeed :YMHUG:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:07 pm

I love It's Not True

...it's twoo, it's twoo :-D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Today in the Maccathon I've done Flowers In The Dirt, and a few B sides and bonus tracks from the era such as P.S Love Me Do, the instrumental mix of Ou Est Le Soleil, and some of the "This One" B sides.

Observations-
Don't Be Careless Love and Motor Of Love are both still horrific, and really bring down the overall quality of the album. I will NOT be swayed on this!

P.S Love Me Do - Has anyone ever heard Paul explain his reasoning behind doing this? I think it's a fun listen, and could totally understand it if, for example, it had been a part of Broad Street. I'm guessing it was a deliberate attempt at creating something new from old for the upcoming tour.

The First Stone - A perfect example of what I love about doing things like in chronological style. Here I am, something like 300 songs in to this journey, and BANG, I hear a song (that I'm admittedly fairly unfamiliar with) and think, for the first time, that here's something that could be on NEW. Here is the sound of the Paul of the future, we wouldn't have known that at the time, but listening know, we can see him entering territory he will explore later on.

Ou Est Le Soleil (Instrumental mix) - Couldn't help thinking to myself, what would a 19 year old Paul, fresh from recording backing for Tony Sheridan in Hamburg, make of this if you could have played it to him, in high fidelity, at the time, and told him it was by his future self? It would have blown his mind. In a good or bad way? Not sure! Like Marty McFly playing Johnny B Goode at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance!

Anyway, onwards and upwards as tomorrows journey to work and back should see me do serious inroads in to 9 variations of songs from 5 different issues of the Figure Of Eight single. :shock: Wish me luck....
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby james1985 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:17 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:Observations-
Don't Be Careless Love and Motor Of Love are both still horrific, and really bring down the overall quality of the album. I will NOT be swayed on this!

Haha, I love Don't Be Careless! Guess the drums in the chorus are pretty cheesy now, but I love the verses.

How Many People is the one I would send down the pit of no return :-D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 pm

I think if Don't Be Careless Love had been in a lower key it might not have been as bad. He's struggling to hit those high notes in a non falsetto voice.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm

I LOVE "The First Stone."

I also think "Broomstick" is wonderful, clever little bluesy throwaway that is so much better than almost any other artist's throwaways. Only Paul could come up with a perfectly crafted, amusing little tune like this.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jgkojak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:
P.S Love Me Do - Has anyone ever heard Paul explain his reasoning behind doing this? I think it's a fun listen, and could totally understand it if, for example, it had been a part of Broad Street. I'm guessing it was a deliberate attempt at creating something new from old for the upcoming tour.

Cpyright issue - 1962 - 1987 =25 years, and those are the only two Beatle songs HE owns (they were composed before Northern Songs came into being and thus are not in that package).
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 pm

I agree Flowers is SOooooo close to being a great album and its really bogged down by those last three tracks (How Many People, Motor and Don't Be Careless Love)-

My alternate Flowers is -
1. Figure of Eight/2. My Brave Face/ 3. We Got Married/4. You Want Her Too/5. Distractions/6. Put It There/7. The Lovers That Never Were (this was written in 87)/8. This One/9. Loveliest Thing /10.Back on My Feet/11. That Day Is Done / 12. Flying To My Home / 13. Ou Est La Soliel
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions