The 20 best songs Paul has ever written.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: The 20 best songs Paul has ever written.

Postby mhnso » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 am

However hard I try -a list of Maccas 20 best songs will have lot s of Beatles stuff. I managed to squeaae in 6 solo stuff but that might be a stretch. The difficulties concerning this task shows when one look at the left outs. Stuff like Michelle, Got to get you into my life, Paperback writer, Live and let die, Mull of Kintyre, Another day, I follow the sun, Vanity fair, Helter Skelter, Little lamb dragonfly, My love, Two of us, Lady madonna, Sergeant Pepper, Tug of war, Wanderlust, Jet, Hello Goodbye, Early days and on and on. Impossible this is.
Here s my final list anyway

Yesterday
Eleanor Rigby
Hey Jude
Penny Lane
Here there and everywhere
For no one
Im looking through you
Let it be
All my loving
Blackbird
Mother natures son
Get back
You never give me your money
The long and winding road
Backseat of my car
Uncke Albert/admiral Halsey
Band on the Run
Coming up
Maybe Im amazed
Little Willow
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:36 am

James1985, he's been a solo artist for 44 years. He was a Beatle for less than 10. Percentage wise-- in my list anyway-- his Beatles work was still better.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 am

mr h atom wrote::evil: i HATE garry stanton :YMTONGUE:

...i'm gonna go dwell in a dark cave and repeatedly bang my forehead against a granite wall..........or something else really fun...

warm and beautiful
too many people
lonely road
oh darling
wanderlust
appreciate
monkberry moon delight
flowers in the dirt
jr.s farm
the long and winding road
arrow through me
vintage clothes/that was me/feet in the clouds/house of wax
one of these days
for no one
let me roll it
figure of eight
riding to vanity fair
flying to my home
rainclouds
she's a woman

..i think i just brit shicks....

Ok Arrow trough me or vintage clothes better songs than Yesterday, Hey Jude or Blackbird. Well it s all a matter of taste anyway
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:36 am

I'm surprised at the love for Arrow Through Me, never saw it as more than anything but a bland filler for a not very good album.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby garrystanton » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 am

Well, this has had the desired effect. I left off Yesterday because I have never really liked it that much, and, Let it Be, iconic song as it is,
never moved me as much as it should have. I should have included the Abbey Road medley (mostly Macca) but I think this exercise shows just how
differently we all see Paul's work, and also just how awesome his output has been. Really unbelievable, despite the occasional horrors, but, when all is said and done, less horrors or mediocre music than almost every artist you may choose to mention. I hate all of Broad Street, with the exception of the new songs, which are pretty good; Back in the Sunshine Again is pretty horrible; and Arrow Through Me is, to me, a beautiful song from an unfairly maligned album- I really like Back to the Egg!

Still, like most of us I'm sure, ask me in a month and my list will change.....this is because Macca's repertoire has such depth and variety that its like a little universe: surprising, awesome and too far away for us to get our heads around it. And it is Good.
Anyway, I have loved checking out your lists!
:ymapplause:
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 pm

I should have included Oh Darling and Medley from Abbey Road but it was only 20 song!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:11 pm

james1985 wrote:Wow, lots of solo on people's lists!

it is a Macca :-D
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:12 pm

there are quaint littleminded folks out there who swear that The Cure never put out another great album/song since Porl left...or Boris...or Lol...

there are equally demented twees who blather on about how Depeche Mode never did anything good after Vince Clarke left...or Allen Wilder...and one could name a band/act and go on like that forever...

similarily, there are bands that either went kaplooey..or integral members went thier own way...such as peter gabriel leaving genesis, john fogerty leaving creedence or robbie robertson going solo...the effect is the same: alot of people being adamant that, unless those artists stay together, work together, they cannot achieve what they once did.
this is of course, pure poppycock*

i can't concieve of a world where the be all and end all of good/great music starts and ends with only the beatles...nor should paul or his reputation as an artist...sorry, folks: that'd be boring as all hell...

imho, paul mccartney ranks with the absolute best singer/songwriters/artists because he is that good...and that should be, is, and has to be, a separate thing...

it is totally wrong and unfair that anyone anywhere should should have the extra burden of near-global cultural phenomenom like that...and that is not in any manner way or form meant to indicate i believe the beatles were so good, no one can ever top them...

because that is just silly, too...there have been loads and gobs and oodles of great songs/albums/music made by others that are every bit as grand as the best beatle song/album...

now...if we want a more grandiose overarching discussion on a total cultural impact...yeah...the fabs probably got it over anyone else of late, or their gen, by far...

but...i bet there'd be a fiesty discussion there, too

but...song for song...heck...i wonder what all these top 20 lists would look like if it would cover any artist ??

*yup, eagle-eyed peeps..i thought alot about adding this paragraph then...thought alot more about it afterward...and decided that it probably should've been there...hopefully, it more fully illuminates my wacky thinking
Last edited by mr h atom on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Craigerb » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

I have divided the list into 3 parts. Part 1 are songs that MUST be on your list (by my decree). Part 2 are songs that should be on your list (unless you have a legitimate excuse, like you've never heard them). Part 3 are songs that are optional but recommended.
HEY JUDE
MAYBE I'M AMAZED
HERE TODAY
YESTERDAY
BAND ON THE RUN
ELEANOR RIGBY
FOR NO ONE
RIDING TO VANITY FAIR
LET IT BE
MY LOVE
HOUSE OF WAX
ARROW THROUGH ME
WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME
PENNY LANE
BACK IN THE USSR
JUNK
TUG OF WAR
UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY
JENNY WREN
MR BELLAMY
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 pm

very interesting to read everyone's lists and comments.

I wanted to put "Vintage Clothes" on, because I think it's as close to a Beatles song as Paul has done as a solo artist. IT just SCREAMS Beatles to me-- from his vocals, to the instrumentation, to the arrangement, to the bouncy, enthusiastic melody and tempo.

I wanted to put "Single Pigeon" on because it's one of my favorite Paul songs ever.

I wanted to put "Winter Rose" on because it's one of the most beautifully melancholic melodies he's ever written.

We need to expand this to a top 50, considering his output.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions