My Current "Maccathon"

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

My Current "Maccathon"

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm currently working my way through his entire solo output (including Wings), albums, singles, B Sides, 12" remixes, the lot, in strict chronological order, as I tend to do maybe once a year.

Big difference this time round is that I think I've now got everything (in terms of officially released stuff), where as before I always had stuff missing.

Anyway, I'm a couple of weeks in now (I've gone back over and repeated some of the stuff I was less familiar with, like Red Rose Speedway and McCartney II, giving them both several plays) and am, as I type, half way through Press To Play, so a long way still to go!

I love doing this like this in chronological order, you really get a better sense of how things fit, what was ahead of its time, when you first notice a particular style creep in that you know becomes fashionable soon after etc.

Things I've noticed this time around (some of which are of course purely my opinion)-

Thrillington was a great, but frankly ridiculous project, to take on. To have those recordings made at the same time that the regular album was being completed is something that only Paul, and perhaps Brian Wilson, would ever contemplate doing. Genius move, with some great results.

There has often been an accusation levelled at Paul that his solo career was slow at getting out of the blocks, especially in comparison to his 3 special old friends. However, in just 20 months following the split he had released his 3rd album, that's not too shabby!

Red Rose Speedway has gone up in my affections somewhat, as has McCartney II. Back To The Egg and Pipes Of Peace remain the absolute low points.

Venus & Mars absolutely needs an archive collection release, the sound quality could be so much better!

Wings At The Speed Of Sound and London Town were definitely the sound of Paul slipping in to middle age. Thankfully he regained form later (Not that I'm dissing WATSOS, I do like that album, and I will always defend Morse Moose against ANY unfair criticism levelled at it!!)

Arrow Through Me, despite being from the 70s, is pure 80s production and style. Paul ahead of the trend there? (But not in a great way!)

Give My Regards To Broad Street - Thoroughly enjoyed listening to this last night/this morning! Some good new songs on it, some of the interpretations of older songs work better than others, but it turns out I STILL love the Yesterday/Here, There And Everywhere/Wanderlust medley. I'll also make no apologies for still enjoying Eleanor's Dream.

Anyway, 2 songs further on from when I started typing this, Angry is playing, and Press To Play continues its recent resurgence (in my eyes) as a fine album, once you've stripped out those 3 bonus tracks that drag it down.

Not massively looking forward to those 3 bonus tracks that will be up in a few minutes, followed by a plethora of 7 inch and 12 inch remix versions from the Pretty Little Head and Only Love Remains singles. Once they are out of the way, and the painful "Ferry Aid" version of Let It Be, I can start to look forward to the late 80s, and the time period when I became a Macca fan in the first place, with all the first hand memories that will bring :-)
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Re: My Current "Maccathon"

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Your 'Maccathon' reminds me of a local radio station (WXLP, 97X) that used to annually play every Beatles song starting with Live at the Starclub and ending with Let it Be. Pretty much took all day. Regarding your take on Give My Regards to Broad Street, I've always had an affection for that one, even though intellectually I understand it's not one of his best efforts. You're right, there are a few good originals there and I've always liked the extended version of "Eleanor Rigby" as well.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:45 pm

nice, Oobs :salute

..'course...my (curent) vers. of PTP has 5 non-album cuts:
Write Away, It's Not True, Tough On A tightrope, Spies Like Us and Once Upon A Long Ago.

while i consider none to be entirely dispensible...as in really all that bad...

i might just have to consider being a wee bit close to a merest form of possible peevedom at your off-handed dismissal of the extremely great off-album cut : "It's Not True"...

a truly great, great...great song...fully worthy of official inclusion on PTP if'n ya ask me...which...ummm...you didn't... :oops:

(for that matter...i quite like 'spies like us', too \:d/ !!)

other than that... ^:)^
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 am

Good luck on your journey, Mr. H!

Interesting, your take on Paul's direction during the AT THE SPEED OF SOUND/LONDON TOWN period...never thought of it that way, but, you might be right.

Did you include McGEAR? Live albums?

BTW...re: GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY, there ARE some very good songs on it. In fact, "No Values" and "No More Lonely Nights" are two really fine, and very different, examples of excellent solo Paul. I always thought the lyrics to "No Values" had a Dylan-like quality to them. There's a lot of bite in some of those lines. Along the lines of "Dear Boy," if not in subject matter, in spirit and temperament. Anyone who thinks Paul isn't capable of writing things other than SILLY LOVE SONGS is vastly mistaken!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:14 am

:-?? ... journey ??

what journey....

i'm lost...AND on a journey....no map....no clue...

woe is me :sad:
mr h atom

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

Mattal1958 wrote:Did you include McGEAR? Live albums?

Typical.... As soon as I'm foolish enough to make the bold claim "I've now got everything", along pops someone to ask me about an album I haven't got!

I've read the recent posts from people saying that McGear is almost a McCartney album, but not close enough to get in my Maccathon! I would like to check out this album as I've not heard it before.

Yes I am doing live albums, although I've got a big decision coming up soon as to whether I'm brave enough to include the classical albums!

And.... Mr H, I think Mattal meant to refer to my journey, not yours!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm

yeah, I need reading glasses. Well, I HAVE reading glasses but never use them.

Sorry Mr. H. But, good luck on any journey you DO take!

yes, I meant OobuJoobu...good luck on YOUR journey!

Dohhhh!!!!!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 pm

:-D i knew that, guys...but never let it be said i didn't take a misstep and turn it into a joke...

imho...McGear is quite an album, indeed...

it's clear that he and his brother share quite a sense of both humor and artistic thought/license...

don't get me wrong: this is mikes album...but, for me, there is no doubt that the two worked hard at making this as collaborative effort as any he's ever undertaken
mr h atom

Postby jgkojak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:09 am

mr h atom wrote:
i might just have to consider being a wee bit close to a merest form of possible peevedom at your off-handed dismissal of the extremely great off-album cut : "It's Not True"...

a truly great, great...great song...fully worthy of official inclusion on PTP if'n ya ask me...which...ummm...you didn't... :oops:

It's Not True is one of my faves, and frankly should have been the first single -- here is a YouTube post I did of the far superior single mix (only on the 45)-- this is my version of a pop up video for Macca fans!

Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 am

I believe I have darn near everything -- I'm always curious about others digital Macca collections--

So... what do you consider your go-to versions for listening?

Mine:
McCartney - 2010 Remaster
Ram - 2011 Remaster
Wild Life - 1993 McCartney Collection remaster
Red Rose Speedway - 1996 Steve Hoffman DCCC gold disc
Band on the Run - 2011 Remaster
Venus and Mars - Steve Hoffman DCCC gold
At the Speed of Sound - Steve Hoffman DCCC gold
Over America - 2012 Remaster
London Town - 1993 McCartney Collection master
Back To the Egg - 1987 Capitol CD
McCartney II - 2010 Remaster

After this, the differences in master are slight.

I hate the sound of the 1993 McCartney Collections - way too much noise reduction-

but Wild Life and London Town's original 1987 CDs are just dreadful.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions