Since 1989

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Since 1989

Postby boog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:07 am

The 50th anniversary of The Beatles coming to the US got me thinking. That's half a century ... crazy.
Crazy that Paul has been making fabulous sounds for half a century. Truly a genuis who shows little signs of slowing down.

Now for the fun, and telling, part. I consider Flowers in the Dirt to be the beginning of Paul's "modern" period. Really, for me, the period when I began to pay attention to his solo career again. It's a 25 year period then, a quarter of a century. Wow! He has put out some great stuff during this period. So I accumulated my favorite songs from that period. I have completed the burning of the first disc, and I think it is awesome. (The second will be done soon and will be nearly as strong.) Here's my track list ... I guess the question is - would the first 25 years match up or exceed? With his work from The Beatles included, I think the first 25 years would clearly exceed. Use only Wings and solo from 1970 up to 1989 and I think the last 25 years are better.

Since '89

My Brave Face
Alligator
Lovers That Never Were
How Kind of You
Young Boy
Vintage Clothes - That Was Me - Head in the Clouds
Appreciate
This Never Happened to Me Before
Run Devil Run
Sing the Changes
Queenie Eye
Early Days
New
Dance Tonight
India
Little Willow
End of the End
Great Day
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Since 1989

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:50 pm

This is a hard one for me as I have probably forgotten more than I remember. I would have to go back to all my cd's and albums and see what is what. No I wouldn't. I have them in order of appearance. But off Flowers in the Dirt, I like "That Day is Done". Kind of a gospel flavor to it. I said KIND OF.

The rest I have to ponder and get back to this one. This One. Wasn't that off "Flowers in the Dirt"?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:33 pm

there are some truly great individual songs from 1970 up until FLOWERS IN THE DIRT, in particular, many rockers.

However, his solo work in the last 25 years (and I'm not even a big fan of either FITD or OFF THE GROUND) is much better, much more consistent, much more substantial than his earlier work.

Ironically, he had more hits with his earlier work, because those were the times, Paul was younger, and kids buy music, and they DON'T buy music from people over 40-50, as a rule.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 am

I'll take the Wings and solo material every time.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:12 pm

solo material?

Not sure what you mean. The 70's solo over the later years?

Solo over the Beatles?

Wings, I get. I don't agree, but that's a time period (1971-1979). Solo goes 1970 to the release of NEW last Fall.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby boog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Since '89 Disc two

I Can Bet
Only Mama Knows
From a Lover to a Friend
No Other Baby (cover, I know)
Flying to My Home
Calico Skies
Ever Present Past
The World Tonight
Jenny Wren
Follow Me
Anyway
What It Is
Song We Were Singing
Down to the River
My Valentine
A Love for You
Back in the Sunshine Again
Sun is Shining
Your Loving Flame
Mistress and Maid
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:01 am

matts querried..."solo over the beatles?'

hmmm,...now that's a can of worms, right ??

see...i DO, quite often, pick a paul mccartney album OVER a beatle one when i'm casually thinking about filling my musical journey...

there...said it...it's true...the ratio can often be, in fact, quite high...

...'course, as i've said before...i came into this game a macca fan first...

the only beatle albums i feel the need to pull out are TWA, LIB and AR...maybe, once in a while...SGT P...these i need to listen to quite often...the rest...once in a while...

BUT...i CAN and DO pull out RAM, M2, PTP, MAF and, probably, RDR with nearly the same frequency as just those three or four...

moreover...i easily spin on M1, WL, TOW, FITD, C&CITB, EA more often than the rest of the beatle albums...

and the rest of the mccartney albums (sans, WATSOS, POP and GMRTB) with about the same frequency...

...'course...there are other artists who also get more play time than all those other beatle lps (sans those big 4)...a rather large list, actually...

for instance...my play list of late has been quite heavy with sting, chris rea, joe bonnamassa, the waterboys, depeche mode, rem, ry cooder, paulie (well, mostly 'new'...but i did take a breather away from 'new' after about a month in and spun on 3-4 of my macca favs), pink floyd, the chieftains, chris botti all getting some heavy rotation for a while now...

in fact...the last time i even took a beatle cd off the shelf was for a road trip to iowa...in august...

so...yeah...a discerning, intelligent music fan can choose a mccartney rich diet and live to tell about it :-D

...'course...you may now think that explains alot :lol:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 am

The Beatles are untouched and sanctified, the greatset show on earth blah,blah....
Own all their albums and more but in all honesty doesn t listen all that often to them-know them well enough anyway. Listen far more to Maccas album and a whole lot of other artists.
This is not putting the Beatles down ...they were great. Just that there is so much other music to discover out there.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 pm

I listen to a lot of different (sometimes new) music, myself. I still end up playing Beatles a lot. Not necessarily (in fact, rarely) entire albums. I have several play lists just for them. And playlists that overlap Paul and them. And Playlists of John and Paul...with Beatles, and/or solo. Etc.

CD's, unless they are newly bought (and that's rarer and rarer with most of my music purchases), I rarely play...except the kind I burn (I still do that from my computer).

Anyway, what was the point of this thread? LOL

I love music. I don't just play Beatles. But, in my mind, they are on a planet high above everything else. Just my opinion.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm like you, Mattal. The Beatles are the top of the heap for me, hands down. All of their albums get frequent spins and occupy space on my iPod nearly always.
Mr. H, I'm surprised Revolver doesn't get more love from you (I know, you do love it!), seeing how it's a fine 'Paul' kinda LP. Even "Tomorrow Never Knows" is dripping with Paul's influence.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions