What do you think??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Song Of The Moment: non-macca

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Midnight's Another Day - Brian Wilson

I think we finally have somebody else in macca's own age group that's turning-out great melody-driven songs.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:45 am

EddieV wrote:New Metallica song

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601119

What do you think??

Mediocre at best EddieV.

My ' non-macca ' song would be David Wilcox - "Bad Apple"
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ROCKSHOW24 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Dark Matter - Porcupine Tree
Blackest Eyes - Porcupine Tree

Couldn't figure out which one I liked better
Hidden in the yard, underneath the wall,
buried deep below, a thousand layers, lay the answer to it all
ROCKSHOW24

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 am

I just discovered a fabulous, hard driving blues number by Gary Clark jr. called "When My Train Pulls In". Anyone heard it? This guy is fairly new (however he played on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Joe Walsh at the Paul and Ringo reunion show on CBS), having released only one album and a couple EPs. I like what I've heard so far.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:21 am

Clark is really good. Not sure if I'm familiar with that particular song.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:29 pm

There are quite a few songs of the moment I'm enjoying, some of which are on the wonderful Everly Brothers' covers CD by Norah Jones and Billy Joe Armstrong.

But, my favorite favorite right now is the song, "Milwaukee," by a new band called THE BOTH (but, they aren't new people-- the band consists of Aimee Mann and Ted Leo!). I LOVE Mann, and she's a big Beatles fan (as many of you probably know), but she's lost her rock and roll spark in recent years. Ted Leo has ignited it again. This song kicks a**. Nice to hear Aimee rocking again.

Here it is, if anyone wants to give it a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/superegorecords/milwaukee
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 pm

I am not going to read all 300 some odd one but I am in a frame of mind where I like:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, You Got Another Thing Coming and Rebel Yell. AC/DC, Judas Priest and Billy Idol

Maybe in a few more days, The Carpenters. NAW!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 pm

the waterboys... too close to heaven (track 22: the slow, bluesy version)... that's all
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:12 pm

I know this is a PAUL site. But, I think many (if not most) of us were/are also Beatles fans.

There is something available now on I-Tunes that I stumbled on, and has blown my mind.

Did ANYONE live in the New York City metro area in the early 70's (1972, to be exact)? Of an age (12 or older) where you would listen to the music, but also appreciate the Beatles' as personalities, and enjoy, or at least listen to, interviews they gave?

In February of 1972, John & Yoko allowed a rock journalist named Howard Smith an interview. But, this was no ordinary interview. This was an interview while WPLJ-FM (where Smith worked at the time) was holding a Beatles Weekend. They were playing ALL the Beatles and solo Beatles songs. They were playing snippets of interviews. Non-stop. Interrupted only by commercial breaks.

The reason this interview is so precious-- one I remember listening to as a 14 year old, and taping on a cassette deck, only to have the tape "accidentally" erased and taped over a couple of years later-- is John & Yoko were listening to this Beatles Weekend on the radio. It's quite evident in the background. John occasionally raises the volume to hear things. He does an almost running commentary at times on Beatles AND solo songs. One of the more touching moments-- and remember, this was at the HEIGHT of the feuding between Paul and John, Klein and Eastman, the lawsuits, the dissolution of the Beatles, bad feelings all around-- is John briefly singing along to "Maybe I'm Amazed." Not in a sarcastic tone...but like he was in the room by himself and a song came on that he liked.

He does this throughout the interview...commenting on songs like "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Rain," etc. etc. etc.

The interview itself is great, too, as a moment captured in time. What Lennon and Yoko were going through at the time. How they felt about things. How they felt about the Beatles, both the music, and the human beings. He professes his love for all of them, despite the bad feelings and nasty things that were being said and written at the time.

I never thought I'd ever hear this interview again, but, like a gift from the heavens, it has become available (among other interviews by Howard Smith-- some of which no doubt are wonderful, as well) on I-Tunes, which is where I downloaded it.

If this interests anyone (and trust me, as a Beatles fan, you'll love hearing this thing-- it runs about 80 minutes), look for it under THE SMITH TAPES. The album is COLLECTION 7- John & Yoko & George. The selection on that album is the last one, John & Yoko At Home.

Just wanted to pass that on...and would LOVE to know if anyone remembers this interview!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists