McCartney II and Tug of War

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

McCartney II and Tug of War

Postby james1985 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:19 pm

So today, I stumbled upon this blog, Then Play Long (http://nobilliards.blogspot.co.uk/), which is reviewing every UK number one album in order. (I got there via Popular [http://freakytrigger.co.uk/populist/], which is reviewing every number one single and is a great, great read).

Anyway, I thought the entries on McCartney II and Tug of War were great (and pretty much what I think of them). (You can also see the person's thoughts on Ram, BOTR and VAM, I don't think they've got to broadstreet yet. And then there's FITD.

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: McCartney II and Tug of War

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

With all due respect, I think this guy is out of his mind with regards to TUG OF WAR. I have no clue what the hell he's babbling about. It seems to be all about the writer and his projections on McCartney, and not an objective view of the music.

ANd, he's just plain WRONG on some observations: "Wanderlust" reminds him of ABBA?

That's all I needed to read. This guy is a dolt.

Interestingly, I re-read a review by Timothy White, then of ROLLING STONE, today of BACK TO THE EGG. I have to admit, I agreed with much of it. However, his accusations of McCartney's laziness is superceded by his OWN laziness., i.e., his comparing "After The Ball/Million Miles" to English Music Hall, Fred Astaire-like whimsy, on the order of "You Gave Me The Answer."

WHAAA????? "After The Ball/Million Miles" is a great medley rooted in gospel/blues. It is light years away from English Music Hall confection.

Critics can be really DUMB, you know?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 pm

I think it's pretty fair. I don't necessarily get the Abba stuff, but...

Don't you find Tug of War a bit of a mess? I love a lot of the songs, but I prefer to hear Take It Away, for example, on Wingspan than on here. TOW just juts around all over the place. Its individual parts are greater than the whole.

I think the above review has really interesting things to say about Get It in particular. Never thought about the song like that (or even at all) before.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 pm

I have to agree with Mattal here, James. It seems like the writer is more interested in dropping silly references nobody gets and making himself sound sophisticated. Does he even like music? I get that it's nice to have a unifying element to an album, but I'm not going to s**t all over one if it doesn't. Why does he say Paul is trying to dig up "Fool on the Hill" glory cause there's a pan flute in "Somebody Who Cares"? Is there a pan flute in "Fool"? If there were (there's not), is Paul only allowed to use an instrument only once or face accusations he's trying to sound like so-and-so? Also, he praises Paul for his outlandish vocal styling on McCartneyII, but then criticizes him for it on "The Pound is Sinking". He complains that the horn section fades out too quickly on "Take it Away". I'm not sure who he listening to, but the horns end the song on a FORTY-FIVE second fade out; how much longer could it be? He also complains that the song leads nowhere; the "impresario" attends a band's gig, but nothing comes of it. Hello! The lyric says "an important impresario has a message for the band", implying that there IS a favorable outcome for the band. Does this guy even know what he is talking about or is he too busy listening to his "Roxy Music's cover of 'Jealous Guy'"? He confuses the grand title track with being a song about him and Lennon? Huh? And what about "Wanderlust"? Oh, that's Paul trying to do Abba...yeah. That's a road clearly forged by The Beatles and George Martin long before Abba entered the scene. He is right about one thing though, "Get It" is a good song!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 am

Jeez. Sometimes the level of debate on here just descends into prissy, fanboy, opinion-slamming tedium.

"Does he even like music" – jesus, get over yourself.

You know, post as many "Is NEW Paul's bestie-westie or almost-bestie-westie album?" threads as you like.

Hopefully there are still some people on here who want to have intelligent discussion about the often-fabulous, often-flawed, but always-fun music from an artist we love dearly. But that comment was the most depressing and tedious I've ever seen in my days on Macca Central.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 am

Hold on James1985. I enjoy your posts and opinions, but when you post something that, at least to efghij and I, seems absurd on so many levels, don't take our criticism personally. Efgjhij expands on what I was talking about, and makes excellent points.

I do, however, think the title song, "Tug Of War" is ABSOLUTELY about him and Lennon. I always thought that from the first listen.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm not taking it personally. It's just if I was going to write a parody of a hysterical fanboy reaction to an essay on an album, I would've done well to write efjhij's post. It's just a complete failure to engage in any measured way with what was posted. It's just a bit embarrassing.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

see, I thought the overly self absorbed and self important review posted about TOW was much worse in it's "take me seriously, folks! I'm smart and clever! Honest!"

Again..."Wanderlust" equates to ABBA? I can't get over that.

Ever!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Jeez, James, talk about taking something personally...did you write that article or something? You accuse me of totally not engaging in discussion when I was 1 of oh, uh 2 people who have responded and I wasn't attacking you, I was merely giving my opinions. Don't like 'em? Fine. But I'm not going to censor my thoughts and opinions cause it hurts your feelings. To my knowledge we've never had any big disagreements and I too, like Mattal, enjoy hearing from you and, frankly am a bit taken aback by your reaction to my post. If you value that guys opinion over mine that's cool; I don't mean to demean you cause it doesn't ring true for me. In fact I'm glad you posted it and I read every single word. I thought his review of McCartney II was quite nice and fair and I never said that. Maybe I should have. But calling me an hysterical fanboy? How am I ever going to live that down? :wink:
Seriously, though, James thanks for posting that and forgive an old fanboy his quirks!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

I found those rewiews interesting- when it comes to McCartney 2 I pretty much agree about everything . That album is a weird and very much ahead of it s time masterpiece. I also enjoyed the Tug of war rewiew even if I don t agree on Every point. What I really agree on is that if Tug of war has a weakness it s a certain lack of unity.
Certanely don t think Get it is the best cut I would give that to Wanderlust. Also think that Here today is great- actually like that one more than when it first arrived.
Anyway I found both of these rewiews entertaining and serious. One doesn t have to agree with everything to enjoy it
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions