Next in the Remaster Series

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Next in the Remaster Series

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

agree, efghij...no more live '76 stuff. Unless they lose the gloss of the WOA sound, and amp up Jimmy's and Denny's guitars a bit.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:I hope you're wrong, James, I've seen enough live material from the Wings Over America period! There must be some 'Beatles Anthology' type of tracks laying about that would be far more interesting and fun. I would much rather hear early takes of well known tracks, alternate versions when available and demos of unused songs, again, ala 'Beatles Anthology'. I would love, however, to hear those early, raw Wings recordings.

Just going from what they've given us so far – it's all been b-sides and live stuff mainly, with some things that have been bootlegged very widely. Woman Kind is the only real "what the?" they've given us.

Fingers crossed there's some anthology-style thing coming, but they've shown over the past few years that demos etc aren't going to be drip-fed out through the Archive Collection.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:45 pm

then, hopefully there will be the long awaited, long anticipated, long hoped for ODDS & SODS-like (to borrow The Who's term) box set. Because there is just a TON of stuff out there. His sound checks, alone, are spectacular, and plentiful. YOUTUBE has a bunch. He could put out an entire CD or two of just soundchecks. Granted, a lot of it would be similar to the Russian Album and RUN DEVIL RUN, but so what? To me, the loose, jamming aspect of a lot of that stuff shows Paul in a completely different light than what we have been used to hearing. Check out this one, which has to be from a tour that featured the '89-'93 band, with Robbie McIntosh on guitar. This is an example of what I'm talking about, and it's killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4GLivW0SE
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:20 pm

sad to note...we mccartney fans can find 1000% more interesting stuff like this on youtube than we can 'officially' from paul....

will he ever learn... :roll:

great job, matts... ^:)^ now....i'm gonna sit back and listen...

G4 will love that !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:06 pm

thanks, Mr. H.

And, yes, G4B, if ya like your Paul rockin' and rollin', this stuff (and more-- much more-- like it) should make your day.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah,if you include all the soundchecks he's done down through the years...it's unbelievable how big that treasure chest of unreleased music really is. It could keep coming for decades, ala Dylan.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm

I was trawling through some other websites over the weekend where the Archive Collection rollout was being discussed (I have to say, by some apparently very knowledgable people!) and a general consensus seemed to be that the rollout might be coming to an end in the near future, with perhaps maybe only 3 or 4 more titles being released.

I hope that's not the case, but whatever happens, this certainly isn't going according to original MPL plans!

On another note, I made a cheeky £30 "make an offer" bid on a factory sealed Super Deluxe McCartney II Archive Collection book/CD/DVD set yesterday, and was amazed when the bbid was accepted! Need to try and guess which day I need to get home to collect the mail before the Mrs. get home!!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 am

well, that's discouraging news, if true.

I'd at least want to hear remastered/expanded versions of:

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY

VENUS & MARS -- particularly the tinny, thin sound...it would be nice to hear that bolstered a bit if at all possible.

LONDON TOWN-- the muddy, soft sound...it would be nice to hear that cleared up and brightened. I remember hearing "Name & Address" on the radio before it was "officially released" and it kicked ass. Then, I got the album and all the life and energy seemed to have been sucked right out of it. It sounded, well...soft. Paul perhaps agreed, as I remember an interview he did where he bemoaned the sound and felt he tried to put too much on the album (in those days, vinyl usually held around 40-45 minutes...LT came close to 50, I believe, and apparently that has an effect sonics)

BACK TO THE EGG
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 am

Just a thought, and I might be totally wrong, but I wonder whether V&M, Wings At the Speed Of Sound, and London Town might be down the pecking order for release because of the songs written by other members of Wings on those albums, meaning that Paul/MPL would stand to receive a smaller share of songwriter royalties for sales on those albums?

The impact of this would have been lessened on Wings Over America because of the much larger volume of material on there.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions