Free As a Bird and Real Love

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Re: Free As a Bird and Real Love

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 pm

agreed... I think "Real Love" is pretty darn good, and I love the way the drums and guitars come in together so stridently. "FAaB" is not bad to my ears, and it's cool that George and Paul had a hand in the middle-8 of that one. I think they should've been the double-A single released immediately, but who the 'ell am I? Anyway, I think George summed up my feelings when he said in the anthology series, "It sounds like them, now," meaning it's what they'd have sounded like in 1995. I can handle that.
ahawk66

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 pm

I've been revisiting these songs lately and I really have come to absolutely love them. The more time passes, the more they feel like legitimate Beatles songs. I've come to feel John's real presence here on these tracks, something that was missing for me years ago. Oh, I loved them as soon as I heard them but now they really feel a part of the Beatles catalogue and not a couple of tracks recorded by Paul, George, and Ringo in the nineties.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Jeremy K2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 am

Both are awesome. When paul sings...'Whatever happened to, the life that we once knew, can we really live without each other', the heartfelt anguish is beautiful. A great lyric and an addition thats adds even greater beauty to this marvellous song. :ymapplause:
Jeremy K2

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 am

they are Beatles songs to me, as well. Obviously, John wasn't around to have final say on any of it. But, you work with what you have. He's the featured vocalist on both. The rest of them weaved their Beatles magic around Lennon's bare bones demos. They are beautifully, lovingly crafted, and are wonderful additions to the Beatles catalogue. In fact, there was probably more love and co-operation among the surviving members making these songs than there was during many of the real Beatles sessions (White Album, anyone?).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:24 am

I'm not too concerened with whether they should be legitimately regarded as Beatles songs, as they there is no definitive right or wrong answer.

What I do know is whether I like them or not.

Free As A Bird - I do like this, I think it's got some great parts to it, and the video is great fun to watch and spot all the references. Would have liked it to have had a bit more "oomph" and energy, but it's great at what it is, a kind of Abbey Road/White Album hybrid.

Real Love - Absolutely LOVE this song. It's a fantastic listen full of joy. Also worth checking out Regina Spektor's cover of it from a few years ago, I'm sure it will be on Youtube.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:45 pm

The piano in "Real love" is maybe the best thing about it. Such a great riff; really sounds like a Beatles riff, doesn't it? If Paul, George and Ringo could do that to a couple of unfinished demos by John, one can only imagine the great things that would have come of a full-on reunion had John not been killed...
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Didn't they attempt "Grow Old With Me" then ultimately scrap it? It sure sounds, on Lennon's Anthology (which credits George Martin with the orchestral arrangement), like Paul's bass line on that. Take a listen. You'll notice the box does NOT credit a bassist on it.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:37 pm

I always wondered the same thing, Mattal. Recently I read a huge retrospective about these sessions on Wogblog (a really informative Beatles website that is often the source of big Beatles news!) and it mentioned that Paul, George and Ringo weren't real fond of it, which is hard to believe. I suspect they didn't want to do it because it had already been out officially. It also mentioned that when George Martin wrote his score for the box set version that he didn't want to ask Paul to play bass since Linda had just died (understandable since the song is called "Grow Old With Me"). I assume that no recording work had been done at all since Martin had at least thought of having Paul add bass.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 am

But, efghi, SOMEONE is playing bass on that. Doing an awfully good McCartney impersonation, too! I'd just like to know...is it or isn't it Macca?
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah, I know. For now I guess it remains a mystery. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions