Flaming Pie

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Flaming Pie

Postby mhnso » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 am

I completely agree that Pauls later works contain lot s of very personal lyrics. But goin back to his earlier works there are more poignancy in his lyrics that he usually gets credit for. Dear friend, to many people, mrs Vanderbildt, Band on the Run, Coming up, Temporary secretary, Every night, Day time nighttime suffering, Tug of war, here today and many more all have rather interesting lyrics. In fact the conclusion that Paul don t know how to write lyrics is b-t. The thing is-he uses disguises and methaphors but if one bother to look there is a LOT goin on in his songs lyricwise.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:19 pm

mhnso wrote:I don t wanna nitpick ...but Calico Skies is not a man saying goodbye to hisnwife -it was written and recorded before Linda was diagnocised with cancer. Anyway it s a great song-imho one of Pauls best.

Fair enough, you got me there!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:58 pm

in retrospect, "Calico Skies" does seem to have some special meaning re: Linda. He may have written it before she was ill, but his vocal is aching on it, which makes it such a touching song. And, that vocal was probably recorded AFTER it was discovered Linda was ill.

I could be wrong...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 pm

I can't blame you for liking Flaming Pie over Memory Almost Full, Bravefan. Both of them are jewels to me. I really don't get this idea that FP is less "deep" than any of his albums since. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:48 am

Mattal1958 wrote:in retrospect, "Calico Skies" does seem to have some special meaning re: Linda. He may have written it before she was ill, but his vocal is aching on it, which makes it such a touching song. And, that vocal was probably recorded AFTER it was discovered Linda was ill.

I could be wrong...

The whole song was recorded before Lindas got ill.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby garrystanton » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi guys

Pretty fascinating thread this...

I personally have a great deal of affection for FP, but in truth there are a few clunkers...
'If you Wanna' is meant to fun, I think, but is just a bad song, with shockingly lazy lyrics!;
'Somedays' is ok, but not great; 'Young Boy' is lightweight;
'Heaven on a Sunday' is not good...

however...!

'Souvenir' is a brilliant, under-regarded song;
the title track is actually great fun;
the first two tracks are really enjoyable;
and Little Willow is beautiful, with
'Beautiful Night' a bit light, with a brilliantly rousing climax..

Its a good album, folks, but not, in my humble opinion, a great one...

Don't hurt me
:-??
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm

The Song We Were Singing - Great opener, an early example of what he does more often nowadays. looking back and reflecting on his life

The World Tonight - Yet again, he reflects on his own existence (I go back so far, I'm in front of me) - first 2 songs maybe examples of him reflecting following the Anthology project?

If You Wanna - It's OK, he's made a heck of a lot worse

Somedays - Beautiful, a fantastic McCartney/Martin collaboration

Young Boy - Macca pop by numbers, he can rattle off catchy pop like this in his sleep.

Calico Skies - No surprise that he continued to play this live for years (and what a great live version!) - Beatle quality output.

Flaming Pie - See Young Boy comments, this time throwing in some Beatle mythology in to the lyric which will never harm sales!

Heaven On A Sunday - I really like this song, great to relax to, and love the guitar interplay between Macca Snr. and Macca Jnr.

Used To Be Bad - Filler

Souvenir - Under rated, not a classic, but a lovely song.

Little Willow - Only Macca can come up with beauty such as this. Perfect.

Really Love You - Filler

Beautiful Night - Top Macca piano balladry. Always remember Chris Evans on BBC Radio 1 back in '97 imploring the nation to make this the Christmas number 1 single.

Great Day - Lovely closer, echoes of the White Album (wasn't it written not long after the White Album came out?)

Great album, as much as I love everything he's done since (apart from Driving Rain), he hasn't topped this album in my opinion. Will always be a top 3 Macca album for me.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Ooobuu, you pretty much nail it. I'd have fleshed it out more for each song, but, that wasn't your point, as I'm sure you could, too.

I totally agree his work since ANTHOLOGY has been perhaps the best, and certainly the most consistent, of his solo career. Really not a clinker among any of them (even DRIVING RAIN, which has many fine songs on it). He doesn't have the $ale$ numbers or "HITS" to back this, but that's more the result of a changing demographic than quality of product.

In fact, I'm beginning to think his BEST work has been SINCE (and including) FP, and that I'd throw a few albums previous to it INTO that mix to round out a top 10:
Add RAM, BOTR, TOW and one or two others to the batch he's made since ANTHOLOGY, and there's your Macca Top Ten!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 am

I certanely agree that Macca post anthology work has been mostly great. But i don t think his work in the seventies to the early eightiesfrom McCartney to Tug of war be dismissed- so many true classics recorded during this period that in all honesty can t be said about his later period. On the other hand albums like Chaos and New are more consistent than many of the earlier albums. Me I am happy it s all there.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:43 am

Lots of great stuff on albums in the 70's. Agreed. But, lots of silly stuff, and throwaway stuff, and half-baked stuff, too.

I was always the one in the room defending Macca, pleading with people to "well, yeah, the album isn't that great but listen to THESE songs, or THIS song!"

Truth be told, I like even some of his not-so-great material. Because it's McCartney. That's enough for me. But, that doesn't fly with people who don't share the affinity.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions