US albums coming

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Re: US albums coming

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm

If I had the space and the money to spare, I'd love to get all those American albums in vinyl. I'd never play them. But, I'd love to have them, just to look at them, reminisce, read the liner notes, etc. These were the albums that introduced many of us to the Beatles. I can still hear the song sequences in my head. I'll hear "What Goes On" and then my mind will go right to "Day Tripper." Only someone who had played YESTERDAY AND TODAY over and over again would understand that.
Same with BEATLES VI. I'll hear "Tell Me What You See" then immediately think of "Every Little Thing," which was the next (and final) song on the album. In fact, every time I hear EITHER song, I think of the other one!
The British albums were the ones to have. They were the way the Beatles intended them to come out. They sounded better.

But, in America, we had what we had. And we fell in love with it. So, strictly for nostalgia's sake, I'd love to be able to put them on a shelf somewhere.

Maybe someday...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Just heard Yesterday in mono for the first time. Jeez, he's right there.

Man, I need that mono box....
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:These were the albums that introduced many of us to the Beatles. I can still hear the song sequences in my head. I'll hear "What Goes On" and then my mind will go right to "Day Tripper." Only someone who had played YESTERDAY AND TODAY over and over again would understand that.

I had a Collection of Beatles Oldies on tape as a kid and From Me To You will always go straight into We Can Work It Out!

I'd love them to put that out on CD.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:24 am

James1985, I also prefer the mono of "Yesterday." It's stunning. And, there is a tad of echo in one of the vocal lines that I don't think is there on the stereo version.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Also, cool US stereo mixes of We Can Work It Out (play that harmonium, Johnny!) and Day Tripper.

I love how this 50 year old music just has endless nooks and crannies to entertain us all these years later.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions