MY REVIEW OF 'NEW' BY garrystanton

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: MY REVIEW OF 'NEW' BY garrystanton

Postby garrystanton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Mr H- yes, XTC. What a fantastic, underrated band. For anyone who wants intelligent, fun, quirky and often literate music,
then listen to XTC. In my most humble opinion, Andy Partridge is among the best of British songwriters. For those who have not heard them,
I would recommend the following albums: SKYLARKING, ORANGES AND LEMONS, NONSUCH, APPPLE VENUS 1, WASP STAR....you will love!
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mhnso » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:48 am

Ok here I am-back from sunny-rumdrenched Venezuela. Certainly a good way to celebrate christmas and new year
.Found lot s of interesting discussions goin on here-ecspecially on this thread. nice rewiew of New, thoughtful discussions concerning Pauls artistry and persona and a discussion concerning the music of the eighties.
The eighties production values might sound a bit dated but as some people pointed out- lots of great music produced. Listen for instance to Fishermans blues from the Waterboys -one of the greatest album ever released. Now rereleased in a glorious 7 cd box containing everything from those magical sessions. Londons Calling from the Clash might be 79 or 80 but still is an alltime classic . Joshua three U2, Springstsen and lot s of other great artists released great music during this decade.
Macca to-Tug of war and some more but he was struggling a bit just like many other sixties artists during the eighties.
And yeah- XTC made some brilliant popmusic during this decade
And New still sounds like new to me-in fact is the one album that always will sound like New
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:43 am

MHNSO, LONDON CALLING has zero 80's-style production style. Because it was pre-all that.

TUG OF WAR, mercifully, survived that sound, too. Paul didn't succumb to it, really, till PRESS TO PLAY.

There WERE plenty of good artists around and some of them didn't even fall for that crappy, echoey, synthy sound, which you almost HAD to have in order to get a hit on the radio then (sort of like it's almost a given that any hit today has to have some kind of rap/hip hop bridge in the middle of the song).

Sorry, that sound turns me off. Can't give even good music a chance when I hear that.

Went back and listened (on YOUTUBE) to Joey Molland's first solo album, or portions of it, called AFTER THE PEARL. It was released in '83 or something like that. It WREAKS of that sound. Couldn't listen to more than a couple of songs, and then not even in their entirety. It's the only album he ever did that sounded that way.

Oh, well. That's just the way I feel about it!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 am

Mattal1958 wrote:MHNSO, LONDON CALLING has zero 80's-style production style. Because it was pre-all that.

TUG OF WAR, mercifully, survived that sound, too. Paul didn't succumb to it, really, till PRESS TO PLAY.

There WERE plenty of good artists around and some of them didn't even fall for that crappy, echoey, synthy sound, which you almost HAD to have in order to get a hit on the radio then (sort of like it's almost a given that any hit today has to have some kind of rap/hip hop bridge in the middle of the song).

Sorry, that sound turns me off. Can't give even good music a chance when I hear that.

Went back and listened (on YOUTUBE) to Joey Molland's first solo album, or portions of it, called AFTER THE PEARL. It was released in '83 or something like that. It WREAKS of that sound. Couldn't listen to more than a couple of songs, and then not even in their entirety. It's the only album he ever did that sounded that way.

Oh, well. That's just the way I feel about it!

Agree- London Calling was recorded 1979. But there were good Music in the eighties. Joy Division, U 2, Waterboys and loads of others. But soundside this decade is the dark ages. Press to play suffer from it Flowers in the dirt to a lesser degree.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:11 pm

FLOWERS IN THE DIRT isn't quite as bad as PTP, but, yes, it suffers from that programmed, over-produced, machine-like sound. There is, save for "Put It There," absolutely zero warmth to that album.

Despite this, I do like "Figure Of Eight," and "That Day Is Done." And, "Put It There," of course.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:16 pm

ah, most esteemed mr m...'fishermans blues' is truly a great album...but...just how does one make a great album better ?

the answer might well be 'the fishermans box' !

6 cds...$60...nothing but good to great songs...'too close to heaven', indeed !!

macca could learn from mike on how to take care of his fans: we all know, in a few years, the 'new' box will be 3 discs and $120 :roll: ...even with a video and/or a book...i'm not sure i would appreciateappreciateappreciate :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby JimQ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:44 pm

I've been having a youtube/wine night..... and i've reached a few realisations...! I was born nearly 15 years after the best band ever disbanded, and I am still - in 2013 - (2013 PEOPLE!!) lucky enough to hear the best member of said band making amazing new music and playing live. I moan about his voice, his sometimes bad lyrics... but wow what a void I'd be left without his noise. And since Flaming Pie - he's been on a crazily steep upward trajectory. For me, the "NEW" album is at Beatle level. He really still has it - I'm sure someone has posted this already but his radio 2 concert this year was amazing - new songs and Wings songs standing up valiantly to Beatles songs... with his new noble voice being just as emotionally powerful as ever. More so even. If you haven't seen it watch it!! Even songs I wasn't personally too hot on are on fire here (and he knows it!!).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1na59PRpVIg[/youtube]

This guy is 71 and his latest album is going to melt in my (and most people here's) stereo if I play it again. I haven't really missed out on Beatlemania at all, have i :-D

I'm sure to be the last to have heard the sped up version of I can bet? - I believed the 1976 thing!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xb4HnGTtj4

He often joked about being wheeled out to sing yesterday - I'll be in the front row with a banner.
JimQ

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Nice post, Jim Q. Agree with you that, since FLAMING PIE, he's raised his game, not gone the other way. The fact the "hits" don't bear this out has nothing to do with the quality of the music, but more the fact that kids don't buy music from guys in their late 50's thru early 70's. But, the older folks (and many kids, to be sure) sure as hell buy concert tickets, don't they?

Having always been a fan of both John and George's more introspective style of songwriting once they left the band, I applaud Paul leaning more in that direction as he's gotten older. I think it's a natural thing for ANY songwriter, but since we're talking about arguably the greatest pop songwriter ever, it adds even more resonance to the music.

And, yes, that video of "I Can Bet" is pretty clever. That song could definitely fit into a mid-70's Wings track list somewhere.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions