New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) out!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) o

Postby monkberry69 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:11 am

Jeremy K2 wrote:Hi all

There are several unreleased songs from the unplugged session. My favourite is 'The Fool' - a slinky country flavoured classic.
Matchbox (correct me if I wrong) also was peformed and heaps more.

Cheerio
Jeremy
P.S. Monkberry..., I'll get in touch with you.
:-h

Thanks Jeremy :)

The songs letf out from UNPLUGGED album were:
- MEAN WOMAN BLUES (released on the CD single of BIKER LIKE AN ICON)
- MATCHBOX (unreleased)
- MIDNIGHT SPECIAL (released on the Off the Ground complete works double CD)
- THINGS WE SAID TODAY (released on the CD single of BIKER LIKE AN ICON)
- THE FOOL (unreleased)

Luca

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com
www.mccartney-recordings.com
The solo McCartney recording sessions finally in a book!
monkberry69

Postby mhnso » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 am

Finally recieved this book and a great one it is. At least For Maccafans. Have not seen anything that s even close to this when it comes to information about Maccas recording process. Not only technical information about what bass Paul used or dates of recording. There is also tons of stories/anecdotes that together gives a very interesting picture of the studioprocess. I also enjoy the personal wiews of different songs. Makes it all more alive. This is the one book that actually adds something worthwhile. Clearly a work of love that no Maccafan should miss.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby monkberry69 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 pm

mhnso wrote:Finally recieved this book and a great one it is. At least For Maccafans. Have not seen anything that s even close to this when it comes to information about Maccas recording process. Not only technical information about what bass Paul used or dates of recording. There is also tons of stories/anecdotes that together gives a very interesting picture of the studioprocess. I also enjoy the personal wiews of different songs. Makes it all more alive. This is the one book that actually adds something worthwhile. Clearly a work of love that no Maccafan should miss.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad the book is receiving praise, as it was such a long work. Certainly I tried to give a unique insight into the process of recording of McCartney's songs. As he's a real master in doing pop music, his song benefit from well-crafted arrangements, multiple layering, etc, and to go in-depth with anecdotes and other details - that allows everyone to discover how the track were recorded - would have given something NEW to fans. On the other side, I did not want the book to get too much technical, so you could also using it for discovering other aspects, with a little bit of critical approach and quotes, archival researches and interviews, so to mix different levels of reading.

Thanks again.

Luca
monkberry69

Postby Craigerb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Luca,
I too very much enjoyed your Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969 – 2013).
I have sent some suggestions to: info@mccartney-recordings.com
Craig
Last edited by Craigerb on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby monkberry69 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Craigerb wrote:Luca,
I have sent some suggestions to: http://www.mccartney-recordings.com
Craig

Thanks you Craig :)
Do you mean you sent an e-mail? The right address to send suggestions is: info@mccartney-recordings.com
I just checked but I do not see anything. Could you try again?

Luca
monkberry69

Postby Craigerb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Craigerb wrote:Luca,
I have sent some suggestions to: info@mccartney-recordings.com
Craig

Luca,
Yes, I edited my post above to show the correct email address I used. I actually sent it after I posted, because it was nighttime in Europe & I didn't think anyone would read it until the morning. Let me know if you receive it.
Craig
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 am

Once again Luca- you did a great job with this book that certanely will be My main reference. And I usually don t enjoy these kind of books very much. Seeing how much information you have assembled I can understand all the work behind Lots of new stuff For me at least
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby monkberry69 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:08 pm

mhnso wrote:Once again Luca- you did a great job with this book that certanely will be My main reference. And I usually don t enjoy these kind of books very much. Seeing how much information you have assembled I can understand all the work behind Lots of new stuff For me at least

Thanks again, really. The last two years have been dedicated almost exclusively to the interviews. It required a lot of time to reach 70 different collaborators, each one living or working here and there in the world, with different timing, from Australia, to UK, to America, to Japan. But it was also a great fun, and a human experience with all of them...we shared a lot of things and everybody was happy to be part of this project. I think McCartney deserved to have a song-by-song book that tries to gather information that goes from recording dates to a bit of musical analysis, and adding the voice of who was there in the studio with him and could witness what happened.
monkberry69

Postby monkberry69 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 am

Nice review by Howie Edelson (Beatlefan magazine contributor) and excerpt of my interview with wmmr radio here:

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2118530
monkberry69

Postby monkberry69 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Something to share from my book...
I had a great time interviewing some arrangers, well-known persons like Fiachra Trench (SPEED OF SOUND), Wil Malone (MORSE MOOSE AND THE GREY GOOSE), Mike Vickers (before LONDON TOWN he was involved in the ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE recording) or Alan Broadbent. These accounts are very interesting from any perspective because we can discover the relationship between Paul and the arrangers... In some case Paul gave freehand to them, in some other he presented an already formed arrangement.
Broadbent's account (about the session of MY VALENTINE) is very detailed and it's a very enjoyable piece to read, IMO.
monkberry69

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions