Flaming Pie

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Flaming Pie

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Wow, James1985. As David Hinckley (Daily News writer) once wrote (describing Rob Tannenbaum's horrid review of Paul's live show in 1989 at Madison Square Garden), "you just drove over McCartney with a truck." In this case, substitute McCartney with FLAMING PIE.

Really?

Well, you know...we all have our opinions! :?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 am

mmm....mmmmm...mmmmm [-X

aren't WE overreacting a bit there, matts...yes, we aaarrrrre L-)

...now...if he'd said all that about 'McCartney 2', then... B-(

8-}
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:39 pm

FLAMING PIE!! I Love that CD!!! Before I retired that was my night time drive time CD to listen to in the car. I love "Young Boy", "Calico Skies", "Little Willow" (and yes it was written for Maureen), "Heaven on a Sunday" and "Used to be Bad". I love the whole CD but those are my all time favorites.

I played that CD to death when it first came out and while driving home, I had it blasting and the windows down and the car next to me had the same thing playing and he said he was going to Beatlefest that year and I said I had gone in 1994 and we talked until the traffic started moving again. Amazing the people you meet in rush hour traffic.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I get that it's all subjective, James but damn, Flaming Pie is so beautiful and poignant to me I can't understand how you don't find much to love about. :-?? Why man, why!? :cry:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm with you two, G4B and efghi...totally with you!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:43 pm

i, too, like me some pie..........there are subtle...and some not-so-subtle fingerprints all over it of a unique sadness...

TOW, FITD...they both had a bit more mature, introspective edge that alot of his earlier stuff didn't quite delve into so much...

but this one is where paul, for all the most obvious reasons, began the real trek through everyday reality...

it is, imho, the touchstone for C&C, MAF and NEW

james has, imho, more than earned his stripes when it comes to sir P...so, for the most part, i'll not dwell upon his thoughts...

the one thing i might disagree with him would be 'somedays'...that song is so sad...so painful...so honest...for me, at least, it is a quiet classic, indeed
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 am

For me Mr. H, "Somedays" is not only the emotional high point of the album ("Little Willow" notwithstanding), but one of Paul's finest moments and George Martin's score is stirring.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 am

agree, Mr. H. This is so boring, agreeing with you all the time! So, just to make things LESS boring...I HATE McCARTNEY II!!!!

Anyway, yes, "Somedays" is exquisite. The melody, the arrangement, the vocal, the echoing acoustic guitar solo, and the bittersweet, haunting lyric.

But, "Little Willow" is right there with it.

And, "Calico Skies" (despite the venturing off from love song to WAR IS OVER philosophizing) is as good as Macca gets with that folky, acoustic ballad style.

And, "Great Day" is beautiful in it's simplicity-- nearly a perfect little song!

And, "World Tonight," borrowing a Lennony guitar riff, is a supurb piece of power pop-- and sounds like a long lost Wilburys classic.

And, "Young Boy" is great.

And, "Souvenir" is great.

And, I really like "Beautiful Night," "The Songs They Were Singing," "Heaven On A Sunday" and "Used To Be Bad."

And the title track is pretty good, reminiscent of early,rag time Elton (I always hear a bit of "I'm Going To Kill Myself" from HONKY CHATEAU).

I can do without "Really Love You" and "If YOu Wanna" (although the latter has some kick ass rocking parts, including some very nice lead guitar).

Other than that...the album sucks! 8)
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:09 am

To compare Flaming Pie to his 80s work (which, as was mentioned in a different post a few days ago, much of which has "zero warmth"), when you hold a CD of Flaming Pie in your hand you could suffer third degree burns with the warmth given off from that album!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am

I consider FP a very good album that could have been great with some editing. There are some mindless jams and weaker song but the good ones like Little Willow are among My fave maccasongs.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions