Flaming Pie

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Flaming Pie

Postby bravefan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 am

I just revisited Flaming Pie with a listen. I guess I'd forgotten just how good this CD is. It's loaded. Little Willow, Young Boy, Calico Skies, Great Day etc. It had been a while and I must admit I was quite blown away by it. Moving up on my Macca ratings quite a bit.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: Flaming Pie

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 am

I've always thought a very valid reason as to why Flaming Pie is so good, is to do with the Beatles Anthology which preceded it.

He'd spent probably a large portion of a couple of years involved in the project, doing interviews, listening to old demos and unreleased stuff, signing off on albums and TV episodes. I think it reminded him of the quality of work he was renowned for and capable of, and probably inspired him to come up with tunes that are, in many ways, the equal of some his best Beatles works.

He was probably inspired by songs like Blackbird, Mother Nature's Son, Here There & Everywhere etc.

Flaming Pie is an immense album, the majority of which is up there with his very best (including his Beatles work).
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Completely agree with BOTH of you.

FLAMING PIE remains my favorite post-Beatles CD of ANY of the Beatles, and obviously, my favorite Paul CD. This, despite a couple of clinkers ("Really Love You" heading the list).

This album IS loaded. There are Beatles-worthy tracks all over this album. A great, great album. I also think Linda was ill, or becoming ill, around the time of this album, no? I'm sure that seeped into his songwriting (aren't some of the lines in "The World Tonight" specifically relating to Linda? "I heard you listening to a secret conversation/You were crying/You were trying not to let them hear you/I heard you listening in"). The combination of working on Anthology with the George and RIngo and Martin (and the ever present spiritual presence of John), and Linda's illness had to be major factors in why the quality of this album is so high.

And, like NEW, he used several producers-- George Martin, Jeff Lynne, and himself.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am

It wasn't only Linda who was ill, but Ringo's first wife Maureen, who I think had remained a friend of the McCartney's even after her and Ringo's divorce. She inspired "Little Willow", right? Flaming Pie is most definitely one of the jewels in Macca's crown, no doubt. It really is chock full of Beatles caliber material. "Somedays" in particular. Pure gold, that one.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:39 am

agreed with all...

my own assumptions have always been that it was not only the immersion into the beatle anthology stuff (a musical-theological grounding of sorts on its own, if you will)...but the earthy knowledge of reality that lindas illness, and possibly others (maureen), almost always (just as johns death did) force paul to leave behind the more impish tendencies (which i love) and focus more firmly on the harshness of life...thus producing a more stripped-down, honest 'voice'

like much off C&CITB, MAF and now NEW...reality has a way of making you stop dead in your tracks, forcing you off the spritely lit carousel...away from the carnival of lights and thrusting you fully into the bright glare of the horrific mundaneness of everyday life

a true artist cannot help but be affected by that
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 am

well said, Mr. H.

No surprise that TUG OF WAR was such a great album (for the most part), and gave us some of his finest, most substantial work up to that point ("Wanderlust," "Here Today," the title track).

"Maybe I'm Amazed" was born of the anger, frustration, confusion, and fear that resulted from the Beatles breaking up, and his relationship with them deteriorating (particularly with John). NO need to quote the lyrics, but what the hell:

Baby I'm a man
Maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand

Baby I'm a man
Maybe you're the only woman
Who could ever help me
Baby, won't you help me to understand?

I think we'd all agree that's in his top 3-4 solo songs.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 am

quite a few songs from that time reflect those pensive, thoughtful, introspective moments...

...but i'd never thought of MIA in quite that way :-? intellestink...velly intellestink !!

^:)^
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 am

Mattal1958 wrote:
I think we'd all agree that's in his top 3-4 solo songs.

I would say it's his greatest EVER song.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby james1985 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm

See, I'd have FP as my least favourite of the post-anthology studio albums. I look through the track listing and I think "well, I know this is a solid album, but what do I really love on here?"

Calico Skies
the title track
Souvenir

Are the ones that I think are first-class. Then there's some solid stuff: World Tonight, Songs, Young Boy, Little Willow, Great Day – good, solid Mac album tracks.

Somedays – I don't know why it's considered a classic. It's got a really hacky lyric – 'won the race' 'scored the goal'. It's almost as if he knocked it together sitting in the car waiting... :wink:

Beautiful Night doesn't deserve the lofty praise it often gets, either. If You Wanna is a b-side (as are Really Love you and the Steve Miller one). And christ knows he put out enough CD1s and CD2s of the singles in those days to fill up all the b-side slots! :-D I quite like Heaven on a Sunday 8)

Would have been a really good 11-track album.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm

But, y'know an album that contains one of my Mac top-five trax can't be all bad.

I love this video, bless 'em

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions