New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) out!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) o

Postby monkberry69 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:24 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:I didn't know about those performances of it!

Anyway, I guess you're aware of the 8 hour long "McCartney on McCartney" radio series done for BBC Radio 1, interviews by DJ Mike Reed, broadcast in Spring 1989? I've had a listen to the start of Episode 1 this evening and he does indeed play "I Lost My Little Girl" during that.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was at a charity quiz which was being hosted by Mike Reed. I got chatting to him after the event, and I was telling him how that radio series was one of great affection for me, how I listened to it over and over again at the time (I even took all 8 episodes with me on cassette on a holiday abroad with my then girlfriend and listened to them constantly on my Walkman for 2 weeks, she dumped me when we got home! :lol: :lol: ), and he told me a story of when Paul picked up his guitar and started playing that song (which you can hear about 7 and a half minutes in to the first episode), one of the sound engineers the other side of the studio glass screen, who was a massive Beatles fan, immediately realised the significance of what Paul was playing, and started to jump up and down with his arms in the air, and was screaming "HE'S PLAYING I LOST MY LITTLE GIRL, HE'S NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!!!!!" and was apparently a bit of an emotional wreck for a while afterwards!

Not the greatest story in hindsight, but I was glad to have been told something first hand that I don't think was "out there in the public" before. Which reminds me, I've another story for fans of The Rutles and George H that was told to me first hand which isn't public knowledge as far as I know, maybe I'll tell that one next!

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing! Again to my knowledge, the last time Paul played it was in Liverpool, 2003.
Anyway, all this information is my book :)

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com
www.mccartney-recordings.com
The solo McCartney recording sessions finally in a book!
monkberry69

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:37 am

Actually, Paul played "I Lost My Little Girl" on UNPLUGGED, in 1993, I believe it was. So that wasn't the first time he'd done it. But, still, an interesting story.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby monkberry69 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 am

Mattal1958 wrote:Actually, Paul played "I Lost My Little Girl" on UNPLUGGED, in 1993, I believe it was. So that wasn't the first time he'd done it. But, still, an interesting story.

The UNPLUGGED evening was on January 25th, 1991. One of the best concerts of Paul. He could have included some more solo songs, though. He rehearsed HEART OF THE COUNTRY, FIGURE OF EIGHT and MRS. VANDEBILT for it: these would have been great to hear in acoustic renditions.

monkberry69

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am

wasn't it released, though, in '93? I could be wrong.

He also did "I'm Looking Thru You," I believe. Lots of unreleased stuff from that show. Some of it you can get on YOUTUBE.

My problem with that CD is the sound is incredibly low. I can't make playlists with any of those songs in them, or any Paul compilations, because the dropoff in volume is ridiculous. Why the hell was it released like that?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

Mattal1958 wrote:wasn't it released, though, in '93? I could be wrong.

He also did "I'm Looking Thru You," I believe. Lots of unreleased stuff from that show. Some of it you can get on YOUTUBE.

My problem with that CD is the sound is incredibly low. I can't make playlists with any of those songs in them, or any Paul compilations, because the dropoff in volume is ridiculous. Why the hell was it released like that?

It was released in May 1991. Do you have the songs in iTunes? If so you can increase/decrease the playback volume on individual songs.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby monkberry69 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:32 am

Mattal1958 wrote:wasn't it released, though, in '93? I could be wrong.

"I'm Looking Through You" was not performed not rehearsed to my knowledge. I agree with you, the volume is low, too low. There are I believe 3 songs from "Unplugged" on the DVD "The McCartney Years" (2007): here, they are completely remastered and remixed and the volume is right. A completely different audio experience.

monkberry69

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I can alter the volume on I-Tunes? Seriously???? How does one do that? This is a revelation comparable of discovering the freaking wheel (I make constant playlists for my devices, and burn many, many CD's, and the one thing that KILLS me, and that I used to be able to control when I made cassette tapes, is the up and down volume levels from song to song).
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:I can alter the volume on I-Tunes? Seriously???? How does one do that? This is a revelation comparable of discovering the freaking wheel (I make constant playlists for my devices, and burn many, many CD's, and the one thing that KILLS me, and that I used to be able to control when I made cassette tapes, is the up and down volume levels from song to song).

Highlight a song (or a range of songs), right click, select "Get Info", then "Options", and use the volume adjustment slider....
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Jeremy K2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi all

There are several unreleased songs from the unplugged session. My favourite is 'The Fool' - a slinky country flavoured classic.
Matchbox (correct me if I wrong) also was peformed and heaps more.

Cheerio
Jeremy
P.S. Monkberry..., I'll get in touch with you.
:-h
Jeremy K2

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 am

thanks, Ooobu. Found it!

"The Fool" is a nice one, yes. Wish these unreleased trax from UNPLUGGED would come out officially someday...
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions