New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) out!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) o

Postby monkberry69 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Another little anecdote - still unknown - from the book: on LIVE AND LET DIE - that was recorded live in the studio by Wings and a full orchestra (like MY LOVE) a famous percussionist (I won't reveal his name here...) played tympani, percussion and a...duck call, heard in the reggae section of the song!

Here's the link again to purchase and Happy Xmas everybody! :) Luca

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCartney-Recording-1969-2013-McCartneys-Paperback/dp/8890912219/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385120016&sr=8-3&keywords=paul+mccartney+recording+sessions
www.mccartney-recordings.com
The solo McCartney recording sessions finally in a book!
monkberry69

Postby Jeremy K2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Macca fans

Just finished reading the book. I found it both immensley informative and entertaining.
I'm glad the author gave some subjective opinion as lists of facts alone can bore me.
This is an excellent resource for any macca fan and once the cliche is true ... ' It is a must!'

I can't believe how much my thoughts and opions concurred with that of the authors. Did other readers feel the same?

Cheerio
Jeremy K2

Postby monkberry69 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 am

Jeremy K2 wrote:Hi Macca fans

Just finished reading the book. I found it both immensley informative and entertaining.
I'm glad the author gave some subjective opinion as lists of facts alone can bore me.
This is an excellent resource for any macca fan and once the cliche is true ... ' It is a must!'

I can't believe how much my thoughts and opions concurred with that of the authors. Did other readers feel the same?

Cheerio

Hi Jeremy, first of all thanks you very much for your appraisal. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I'm happy yo know that you also liked the fact that the book contains also some opinions here and there. The book is built on facts and information (quoted with footnotes, so everyone could have the exact source for a sentence or an info), but an assesment of McCartney's work was worth and could make the book more readable. On the other hand, I inserted in the book - I think it's really interesting - the reception that records (and concerts) received AT THE TIME of their release. This makes the reading and the interpretation of Paul's career more objective.

:)

Luca
monkberry69

Postby monkberry69 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi everybody, just another little anecdote from the book to share with you...
Back to the PRESS TO PLAY sessions this time: Carlos Alomar revealed a nice thing happened during one of his overdub recordings. He laid down his parts on three section of the song WRITE AWAY, playing some takes.But when he came into the control room to listen to the track after some day, he wouldn't be able to recognize what he played: Hugh Padgham (and Paul, of course) had made a cut-and-paste of the best bits of Carlos' guitar, making it onto a totally different thing!

:)

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com
monkberry69

Postby Jeremy K2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:51 am

Hi Monkberry!

Hey you should have got me to edit the translation for you. Could have done it in a few days. Still I loved the book and actually find the odd peculiar translation rather amusing actually. Perhaps in future editions you should keep the odd translation boo boo in. Adds to the charm.

Everyone buy this book!

Cheerio
Jeremy :-h
Jeremy K2

Postby monkberry69 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 am

Jeremy K2 wrote:Hi Monkberry!

Hey you should have got me to edit the translation for you. Could have done it in a few days. Still I loved the book and actually find the odd peculiar translation rather amusing actually. Perhaps in future editions you should keep the odd translation boo boo in. Adds to the charm.

Everyone buy this book!

Cheerio
Jeremy :-h

Thanks again Jeremy!! :) I'm very pleased that the book is gaining attention and has such a great assessment. Some peculiarities could be deriving from the adaption from the original Italian text: language's nuances are not always possible to express or convey, so you could lose a little bit, but I'm sure without absolutely impacting on the meaning or the pleasentness of the reading. Take in consideration that we found the best translator available in Italy (he also supervised the whole work when someone else lent a hand): he worked for years for SONY Music, he's a musician and singer himself and worked as a translator for press conferences for people like Michael Jackson and many rock and pop celebrities. On the other hand, at least half of the book is made by interviews - both from archives and original (with word-by-word transcriptions, and obviously they were already in English), data, recording dates, musicians lists. If you'd like to help and contribute improving the book, you could send an e-mail to this address: info@mccartney-recordings.com that it's also printed on page 2. I'll be pleased to read suggestions :)

Everyone could also follow facebook page, that is frequently updated, with photos, information, anecdotes, samples and extracts from the book. It's completely dedicated to McCartney and his studio work and not intended only as a boring promotional vehicle for the book! I'm sure you'll find it interesting and entertaining. Here:

https://www.facebook.com/paulmccartneyrecordingsessions

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com
monkberry69

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Monkberry (or anyone....), just a quick question for you, which may or may not be of interest-

Do you know when the first time was that Paul did any sort of known rendition of his first song "I Lost My Little Girl" in a studio, in public, on TV etc?

I'm not aware of any known performances of it before the Unplugged concert in 199(1?), but I do have an anecdote told to me first hand, by someone who was there, of him performing the song in a radio station recording room (but not broadcast) back in late 1988/early 1989.

So it's not a recording as such, but was done in a "recording room", if it's of any interest let me know and I'll recount the full tale as told to me by an eye witness.....
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Hang on a moment..... I'm now thinking that this might actually have been broadcast, I'll check that tonight when I get home..... If it was, there's still a bit of a story behind it.....
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
oobujoobu1971

Postby monkberry69 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:36 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:Hi Monkberry (or anyone....), just a quick question for you, which may or may not be of interest-

Do you know when the first time was that Paul did any sort of known rendition of his first song "I Lost My Little Girl" in a studio, in public, on TV etc?

I'm not aware of any known performances of it before the Unplugged concert in 199(1?), but I do have an anecdote told to me first hand, by someone who was there, of him performing the song in a radio station recording room (but not broadcast) back in late 1988/early 1989.

So it's not a recording as such, but was done in a "recording room", if it's of any interest let me know and I'll recount the full tale as told to me by an eye witness.....

To my knowledge... The Beatles played the song during the Get Back! sessions (January 1969) with John on lead vocals.
Paul played a snippet of the song on various occasions, the first being in an interview with Melvyn Bragg in October 1977 (broadcast on 14 January 1978) recorded at Abbey Road.

Please let me know your story! It seems really interesting. :)

Luca
monkberry69

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 pm

I didn't know about those performances of it!

Anyway, I guess you're aware of the 8 hour long "McCartney on McCartney" radio series done for BBC Radio 1, interviews by DJ Mike Reed, broadcast in Spring 1989? I've had a listen to the start of Episode 1 this evening and he does indeed play "I Lost My Little Girl" during that.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was at a charity quiz which was being hosted by Mike Reed. I got chatting to him after the event, and I was telling him how that radio series was one of great affection for me, how I listened to it over and over again at the time (I even took all 8 episodes with me on cassette on a holiday abroad with my then girlfriend and listened to them constantly on my Walkman for 2 weeks, she dumped me when we got home! :lol: :lol: ), and he told me a story of when Paul picked up his guitar and started playing that song (which you can hear about 7 and a half minutes in to the first episode), one of the sound engineers the other side of the studio glass screen, who was a massive Beatles fan, immediately realised the significance of what Paul was playing, and started to jump up and down with his arms in the air, and was screaming "HE'S PLAYING I LOST MY LITTLE GIRL, HE'S NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!!!!!" and was apparently a bit of an emotional wreck for a while afterwards!

Not the greatest story in hindsight, but I was glad to have been told something first hand that I don't think was "out there in the public" before. Which reminds me, I've another story for fans of The Rutles and George H that was told to me first hand which isn't public knowledge as far as I know, maybe I'll tell that one next!
oobujoobu1971

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions