JOEY MOLLAND'S NEW CD

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

JOEY MOLLAND'S NEW CD

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:03 am

Many of us Paul/Beatles fans are no doubt Badfinger fans.

If you are a fan of Badfinger, or liked some of their music, you may know the name Joey Molland.

Molland is the LAST surviving member of that band (Pete Ham, Tom Evans, Mike Gibbins, and Joey). He sang, wrote, and played guitar (mostly rhythm to Pete's lead, but he took quite a few solos himself).

He has a new album out, called RETURN TO MEMPHIS. I happen to like Joey's style, and thought, next to Ham, he was the second most important, or key, member in that great, under-rated band. He, more than any of them, had a real rock and roll heart and soul.

The new album is surprisingly good, although Joey's voice is pretty much shot. This can turn people off, but if you can get past that, the songs are solid, the playing excellent, and that voice (ala Paul's these days, esp. on songs like "Early Days") adds some character and life experience to the proceedings. The guy has survived it all, so the craggy vocals are earned.

Anyone else like Joey's stuff? Anyone else heard the new album?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: JOEY MOLLAND'S NEW CD

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 am

...the sound of crickets...LOL!

Oh, well. I love Joey's music. Always have. He wrote some of the best Badfinger stuff: "Sometimes," "Sweet Tuesday Morning," "Get Away," "I'd Die, Babe," and many others.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: JOEY MOLLAND'S NEW CD

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Now I do like them there Crickets (with Buddy Holly, of course!) and I love the Sound of Silence is that close enough, Mattal? :-D
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions