The White Album

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: The White Album

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 am

Ringo's drumming, and Paul's great, snakey bass line. And those distorted horns add just the right touch to one of the album's most under-rated songs!

My theory is, when this album came out, it was so vast, and sprawling, by the time you got to Side Four (Revolution 1, Honey Pie, Savoy Truffle, Cry Baby Cry, Revolution 9, Goodnight), you were overwhelmed and exhausted. These days, you just play a CD and program or go to your favorite tracks, or likewise with MP3 players.
When I first had the album (as many of us here can relate to), it was four sides of vinyl. You pretty much had to manually change the discs, flip them over, and if you wanted to listen to a certain song, you needed to queue it up on the turntable. That could be tedious, so you tended to just play the entire side.
By Side FOUR, after 24 songs already, the senses were somewhat saturated. I know I felt that way in those days.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:44 am

The rewards of that second disc were well worth the effort of course. I still am left speechless at "Yer Blues", "Helter Skelter", and "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" among all the rest. Those are three hard rocking Beatles tunes that I couldn't imagine being without.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 pm

efgh, agree totally on Side Three. "Yer Blues" is incredible (esp the mono version-- Lennon's vocals are even nastier sounding, and Ringo's drumming sounds clearer, and crisper), and "Everybody's Got Something To Hide..." is perhaps my most favorite Beatles rocker of all time. I can listen to that song over and over and over again...and I have, on many occasions. That distorted guitar (and I don't know if it's George or if it's John) all the way thru is BRILLIANT. Paul's bass line is great. Lennon's vocal is ecstatic. The "come on come on come ons" ending is orgasmic. And, it's all over in less than 2 1/2 minutes, which is ANOTHER reason it's so great!
"Helter Skelter" is great, too, but I'd also throw "Birthday" in there, as well. I don't think the Beatles ever did a side of music with four slabs of rock as hard and driving as Side Three of the WHITE ALBUM.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Yeah, I should've mentioned "Birthday" as well. Mattal, your assessment of 'Monkey' is totally spot on. :-BD I agree with every single word.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to The Beatles: Albums