The White Album

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: The White Album

Postby blmeanie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 am

Respectfully disagree with many of you. Lots of great songs, lots of stuff people claim to like to be cool. Overall it carries with it a solo perspective and the sum of the parts can never be better than the group together IMO.
blmeanie

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 am

to pretty much quote Paul from the ANTHOLOGY:

"It's the bloody WHITE ALBUM. Shut up!"

there IS a solo aspect to this album, but I don't think it hurts it at all. There were solo aspects before, too ("Yesterday," "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," "Eleanor Rigby," "Within You Without You," and others), but that didn't tarnish the quality of the songs, or take away the Beatles stamp of approval on them. Years later, we hear (mostly from John and George) how they hated this and hated that, blah, blah, blah...but, that's Monday Morning QB-ing.

I have zero problem with the Beatles acting as each other's session musicians. I couldn't think of ANY other group of people I'd rather have. They were at the HEIGHT of their writing powers at this point, as well. Lennon's stuff is brilliant. Paul's stuff is brilliant. George's stuff is brilliant.

Had the Beatles stayed together, and put together a double album (or triple album by then) in 1970-71, I would have no trouble with songs from IMAGINE, ALL THINGS MUST PASS, and RAM done by the Beatles instead of session guys.

Obviously, a few of those RAM and IMAGINE songs that John and Paul wrote attacking each other might not make the cut (in particular, "How Do You Sleep?"), but, otherwise, I think it would have been pretty good stuff.

But, not as good as the WHITE ALBUM. Not NEARLY as good.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm in a real 'early Beatles' mode at the moment, what withe the Lewishon book, BBC, the bootlegs and the forthcoming Capitol box. But this thread is making me so tempted to stick this on on the headphones and give it a proper play over the weekend.

Because, you know, it's the f*cking best, isn't it?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Yes it IS, James1985. YES IT IS (w/apologies to Lennon/McCartney for knicking the phrase).

Now you've got ME tempted!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 pm

...with all due respect, Blue...i, too, could not disagree more...

i cannot think of a single person..ever...that i could walk up to (unless they were stoned or drunk as a skunk) and say...

" hey, i just LOVE 'revolution #9/why don't we do it in the road/savoy truffle' !! it's the bestest song EVER!'

and have them think i was COOL !!!

some art/music challenges you, and when you accept that art upon its own terms, not yours, you can end up better for it...

TWA is such a work of art

nice response, matts :salute
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

I don't hit the repeat button for "Revolution 9," but I actually DO get in the mood once in a while to hear it. I think it's fascinating. I think it really captures that era. I was 10 years old in 1968, and I DIDN'T hear the WHITE ALBUM till 3 years later, but I remember 1968 (even from a kid's perspective), and "Revolution 9" kind of sums it up better than almost any standard pop or rock or folk song could (and there were plenty of good ones in those days!). That era, and that year in particular, was utter CHAOS.

I also happen to LOVE "Savoy Truffle." I think it's one of George's finest rockers. Love the word play, and the performance, and Paul's high harmonies!

Anyway, Mr. H...were you mocking those tracks? Because it seems like you were, overall, agreeing with me? Or no?

See, this is what I mean...not so sure I'm good at "reading" where you are coming from at times! LOL (I think that's a GOOD thing, btw...life would be boring if everything were so matter of fact and black and white, no?)
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 pm

you can usually/sometimes tell when i'm playfully mocking as i tend to use smileyfaces/winkies and/or evil little grins, matts

i wasn't intending to mock the songs, or any of us...the most esteemed mr blue had made a comment about seeming to be cool over liking certain aspects of TWA...i just took that to a degree he most likely didn't even mean...but i was covering some bases, nonetheless

for the record...i would not dispose of one single song...not one single moment off this glorious beast

for that matter...#9 is the only one i have ever skipped over...and on the extremely rare occasion when that occurs...i am usually either with someone who just doesn't get it in the slightest or i am in one pretty fickle mood !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 am

my humble apologies, Mr. H.

I just see RED when I think "Savoy Truffle" is in any way, shape, or form being disrespected, and I obviously misread your comments. Shame on ME!

:oops:
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Am listening right now.

There are just so many little moments of genius. Can you listen to Happiness Is A Warm Gun without singing along to McCartney's harmony on "Lying with his eyes while his hands are busy working overtime"? or I'm So Tired without "But I KNOW what you would dooooo"? And the horn playing a counter melody on the second bridge in Martha... oh boy
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Ringo's drumming on Savoy Truffle is \M/
james1985
Supporter