Best 3 consecutive albums?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Best 3 consecutive albums?

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 pm

\:d/ TWIST OF LIME AND SHOUT HALLELUJAH !! :ymparty:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 pm

As much as I love and adore Paul, he is a CONTROL FREAK to the inth. He is a perfectionist also. I would rather see a non polished album than a polished one. And Mr. H that is not a nationality either. HAHAHAA!!

Paul, in my opinion, gave the members of Wings a chance to do their own song in concert for a change of pace. Heck! In 1989-90, CRAP! I can't remember the guitarist. He was not Hamish. Robby, that's his name. He had a nice little guitar solo at one point.

No Paul is the controlling and guiding force of Wings and of the group now. Always has been and always will be. But the group does do some great music.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:53 pm

:sad: ...SO...WHAT YOU'RE SAYING G4 IS...I SHOULDN'T HOLD MY BREATHE FOR A POLISH VERSION OF 'RUN DEVIL RUN' ANYMORE THAN THE MYSTERIOUS JAPANESE VERSION OF 'NEW'....RIGHT ? :wink:

guess i don't have to worry about why i can understand the russian album...even tho i don't speak the lingo :lol:
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Robbie McIntosh. GREAT guitarist. I mean, this guy could play. Was never really given the space to let loose, except on stuff that's never been officially released...but, if you can check out some of the soundchecks during that time...wow!

I went to see Norah Jones several years ago (it was either after her first album, or just when the second one was released), and we had amazing seats-- 3rd or 4th row from the stage. You could literally touch Norah's piano. Anyway, a little ways into the concert, the guitarist caught my eye. I mentioned to my wife, "I've SEEN this guy before..." but for the life of me couldn't place him.

After another song or two, it hit me...Robbie McIntosh! A little grayer...which is why I didn't recognize him immediately. But, still, I wasn't positive, until Norah introduced the band...and, yes indeed, twas Mr. McIntosh.

I remember looking him up on the computer later, and emailing him...he answered personally and at length! It was extremely "cool!"

Last year, I went to see Ian Hunter play in Boston at the Paradise, which is a pretty small place, as anyone familiar with it would know. Now, I had known Hunter had used Steve Holly on a lot of his solo albums in the 2000's, so was curious to see who the drummer was. And, it didn't take long to realize Mr. Holly was, indeed Ian's drummer that night, and apparently his regular tour drummer. And, he was damn GOOD, too!

But, I digress...as I tend to do...
Last edited by Mattal1958 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm

that...is some cool info !!

thanks matts :salute

my own thoughts on this continuing flurry of non-issues is that we simply do not know...and can only guess...at to what extent and level paul allowed others to influence him moment to moment...song to song...album to album...

it's clear from what he has always said...he wanted, with wings, to have a real group...it's clear from what we know that he was open to others (mcculloughs 'my love' solo, anyone?), including producers and those in marketing ('jet' ? as single ?? nah !), thoughts and ideas...and often used them...

it's clear he had the last word...almost always (Mac2 anyone ?)

it's pretty apparent that he sought out and utilized extremely good, often great, musicians throughout the various stages of his solo career...and i think only a fool would assume that he did not, at any time, utilize their knowledge and artistic input as well: that would be the mark of, not a total 'control freak'...but of a consumate artist who has a vision of what he wants to accomplish at that time...

whether he's succesful each and every time is up to each and every one of us to decide on our own...but i happen to think the guys track record has been nearly spotless: even the albums that i consider to be lesser ? ...i still quite often pull out...listen to...and enjoy !!

..all the rest is just us runnin' in a figure of eight...
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:15 pm

well said, Mr. H. Well said.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Awesoman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:51 am

panposs wrote:what dont people like about Driving Rain?

Was listening to it the other day and it was coming across pretty well to me..

Driving Rain is for the most part pretty good. "Lonely Road" is probably one of my favorite latter-day songs he's done, and there are a couple of album cuts such as "Magic" and even "Riding Into Jaipur" that are enjoyable. But then there are songs on that album that really try to derail the momentum, such as "Spinning On An Axis" or "Heather" (pretty sure this is one tune Paul won't be playing ever again). And all good intentions aside, "Freedom" just sucks. Still, the good outweighs the bad here.
Awesoman

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 pm

I happen to love "Heather" the song. Unfortunate name though it has. The only cringe-worthy moment is when our kid whispers the name at the end, but the beauty of the song far outshines any prejudice I may have toward Heather the ex-wife. You know, I have a feeling Beatrice (ever notice how her name sorta looks like Beatles?) will one day appreciate the song her dad wrote for her mom, even though we know her mom is a goldig...uh, well you know. :?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Agree wholeheartedly with ef. Heather comes off as almost a sound check warm up jam...which makes it more awesome. And since I have nothing particularly bad to say about Heather, the woman, I am completely fine with the lyrics...or...lyric.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Yeah sure, Mr. H. Hold your breath but eventually you will exhale and start breathing again.

No I have no doubt Paul surrounded himself with amazing musicians but I still say he is a complete control freak and yes he will more than likely take what each has to offer and run with it. But he is still a control freak and I love him dearly.

As to the song Heather.. . . I don't remember it. Now was the song about Heather Mills or Heather Louise? I don't remember the song. Sorry guys.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions