Best 3 consecutive albums?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Best 3 consecutive albums?

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:49 am

Tiger, at the risk of sounding nasty, that's absurd.

Paul was in TOTAL control of Wings. They were, for all intents and purposes, his sidemen. Do you REALLY think Denny Laine got final say on ANYTHING in that band, never mind Denny Seiwell, Henry McCullogh, or Jimmy McCulloch?

The Beatles were a democratic group. Right down to financial shares. Ringo had as much say, from what I've read (and I've read plenty), as John or George or Paul on MOST things. He just didn't happen to write songs or sing many. George was frustrated, sure, but he sure as hell had his say and his influence (India, Indian music, etc.). Can you imagine Joe English saying one day, "let's all go to Norway and study their fishing techniques!" and Paul dropping everything in, calling a press conference, and telling the world that, yes, he and the rest of Wings will be traveling to Norway, based on Joe English's words of wisdom, to search for "the way!"

Ringo and George both LEFT the band at various points, and were welcomed back with open arms and flower arrangements.

When Denny Seiwell and Henry decided not to go to Africa to record BOTR, that was the end of those two.

Hell, it's taken years for Paul to even acknowledge Denny Laine over who knows what slight that occurred over 30 years ago. Do you think that would have happened with any of the other Beatles?

Please. Let's not compare apples and oranges.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Tiger » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:26 pm

For the record. I AM absurd. :-BD

Paul was easily the driving force for Wings but songs like Medicine Jar, Wino Junko, and Time to Hide are items the other members of the band brought to the table.

As democratic as the Beatles were, we all know Paul and John, as the main song writing team for the group, made the majority of the creative decisions for the Beatles with George mainly handling his own songs. By the time the three albums I mentioned rolled out, Paul was the main leader for the Beatles while John's attention was divided with Yoko and Avant Guard art he was allowing Paul to take on a larger leadership roll.

Absurd or not, I stands by what I says! Those were much better albums.
Tiger

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:34 pm

I understand your enthusiasm for the Beatles, Tiger. I share it. But c'mon, but we're talking about Paul's music after the Beatles; let's be honest. Including the Beatles here is violating the spirit of the thread. Everybody knows there's virtually no one that can come close to the quality of the Beatles. I mean there's not much point in discussing the subject if we are to include Beatles albums.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Well if were gonna get Beatlely I'm gonna go with

Revolver
Pepper
White. :-h
catch up...cats and kittens...don't get left behind...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:52 am

I think IMAGINE should be considered a Beatles album, because George plays on five of the songs. And adds two of the best guitar solos he's ever had on "Gimme Some Truth," and "How Do You Sleep?" And since, HDYS is ABOUT Paul, that makes it a Threetles album.

SInce Ringo played on JL/POB on ALL tracks (that used drums, anyway), let's add that one to the Beatles catalogue, too.

Hell, Ringo's third album, RINGO, is a Beatles album, too. All four play on it, three play on one song ("I'm The Greatest").
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Tiger » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:24 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:I understand your enthusiasm for the Beatles, Tiger. I share it. But c'mon, but we're talking about Paul's music after the Beatles; let's be honest. Including the Beatles here is violating the spirit of the thread. Everybody knows there's virtually no one that can come close to the quality of the Beatles. I mean there's not much point in discussing the subject if we are to include Beatles albums.

Is my suggesting the Beatles really as bad as not allowing Wings? That's the real question here.
Tiger

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:25 pm

C'mon, man Wings IS Paul McCartney.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:45 am

efghij, exactly. The whole discussion is silly. Wings were Paul's sidemen, with Paul feeling generous enough on occasion to throw a legitimate singer/songwriter, Denny Laine, a bone.

I guess Jimmy McCulloch had enough chutzpah (and material) to be granted a track or two during his stay, too.

But, really, Wings was 98% Paul.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm guessing that had there not been such a high turnover of musicians in Wings early years, then Paul wouldn't have given Denny Laine and Jimmy McCullogh chance to have their own songs recorded later on, i.e. he did it to try and have a better chance of hanging on to them.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:03 pm

interesting observation, OobuJoobu.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions