PAUL'S "PERFECT" POP

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: PAUL'S "PERFECT" POP

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Chris,

You got a good point. To Each His Own.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

wow. apologies for bringing the subject up!

For the record, I wouldn't consider "Helter Skelter" or "Cut Me Some Slack" or "Rode All Night" or "Rinse The Raindrops" or "Nothing Too Much Just Out of Sight" pop songs.

Even though, you know, that's what he "does."

Perhaps I should narrow that list to clarify better. Then again, it will probably just cause more disagreement.

Just as an aside, a rocker can be a hit and not a pop song. I'd categorize "Hi, Hi, Hi" and "Helen Wheels" in that department. Hell of a lot of Top 40 hits in the late 60's/early 70's that in no stretch of the imagination would someone mistake them for "pop" songs.

Whatever that is. Now I don't even know.

Let the smarter people take over. I just thought the idea might be fun to discuss.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:42 pm

FIRST OF ALL...I HATE BEING FRUITLESS...GIVE ME MORE FRUIT !!

(personally...i like fruit better than cowbells !!)

whew ! glad i got that off my chest :wink:

matts...i think you miss the point...one that you, with your subsequent posts, have inadvertantly helped further: to each person, a 'pop' song may mean any number of things...so, when say...mr magildatroy states that 'song a' is a pop song, and you come along and attempt to define what is...it creates confusion...because everyone wants to get along ...play nice...

but defintions ?? they are tricky things...

helter skelter is not a pop song...unless you were brought up on death metal...in which case, it probably is...see ??

you, my dear Matson, are as elementarially logical and fully ed-jamacated as all the rest of us...

well...with the exception of a few...who shall remain nameless...as they're more better 'cause they can change words and meanings in a single bound !!

...but the rest of us are just muddling through...bringing our huddled molasses and tired whatfors... hang in there, matts...it's all good

be proud ! you've started a lively, engaging discussion...not too shabby, ol' bloke :salute

peace on ! brother !!

...I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT I JUST SAID...I NEED A DRINK AND A QUICK DECISION
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:42 am

I was afraid to come back to this thread, but, glad I did!

Thanks,Mr. H!

Peace, Joy, Merry Whatever you and everyone celebrates, and Happy New Year!!!

(not that this is the last time I post before January 1st, of course!)
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

You know, Pipes of Peace has a lot of good pop on there if you can get into it. "Pipes of Peace", "The Other Me", "Keep Under Cover", "Say Say Say", "Average Person" and if you want to stretch your definition Mattal, "Through Our Love". Sometimes I really like Pipes of Peace... :shock:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Efghij, I'll say this about PIPES: I was very disappointed it sounded so "light" when it came out. However, in retrospect, there are some pretty good songs on there: the title track, "The Man" (which I much prefer to "Say, Say, Say"), "So Bad"...even "Sweetest Little Show." On the whole, though, after following TUG OF WAR, it was a big disappointment.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 am

I wonder how the songs from Pipes of Peace would have been received if Tug of War had been a double album with songs from Pipes sprinkled amongst Tug's songs.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:55 am

efghijiloveyou wrote:I wonder how the songs from Pipes of Peace would have been received if Tug of War had been a double album with songs from Pipes sprinkled amongst Tug's songs.

Interesting, sounds like another playlist to put together!

I'm going to make a "Memory Almost New" playlist combining the best of the last 2 albums, should be a cracker.

I've also got a "Whiter album" playlist, in honour of Ringo's suggestion on the Anthology. Premise: A single album of material recorded in 1968, because George Martin got his wish and was asked to cobble together the recordings they'd made that year in to an album, because they'd never got round to releasing the White Album. My "White Album" is an absolute stormer of an album.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:47 am

I like the "Memory Almost New" concept...although, I'd take it a step further and make a "Electric Memories Almost New."

Also, since many of the POP songs were recorded during the TOW sessions (I believe), that's not a bad idea. I could get rid of a couple of TOW songs and put the better POP ones in, and that would probably make TOW Paul's finest solo album. Or real close to being it.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:04 pm

8-} ...wild red rose on the run

band on venus at the speed of sound ??

wings at londons back ????
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions