PAUL'S "PERFECT" POP

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: PAUL'S "PERFECT" POP

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 am

tru-dat, C...

for instance...i would never consider 'live and let die' a pop song...for me, it', as well as 'flying to my home', 'helen wheels', 'queenie eye', 'fine line' and 'only mama knows', are all a bit more rock than pop...

and i'd probably think that 'no more lonly nights' (the original vers.) and 'once upon a long ago' are far closer to being ballads...

but we're splitting hairs here...and i'm already follically disinclined...

i come about it naturally...my barber is blind...

hey ! i still have my ears :-BD
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 am

The rule was "no rockers". Well I consider Young Boy and Jet rockers. Are they? But. . .but . . . but I like rockers. Those are the only ones I can think of right now. I would have to go back to each album and find one that is not that I like.

NOT FAIR!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:29 am

Power Pop isn't quite rockers...but then we can quibble as to what is power pop (a genre the Beatles virtually created) and what is pure rock and roll.

As uptempo and rocking as "Jet" is, I think it's a textbook example of power pop.

"Young Boy," to me, is PP, as well. But, then, what the hell do I know?

What it is is, GOOD MUSIC! lol
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:34 am

Mr. H, I see your points.

I just think what he does with some of those songs make them uniquely Paul pop ("Flying To My Home" isn't exactly Chuck Berry or Little Richard, but more in the power pop vein...but, ultimately, what does it matter?).

"Once Upon A Long Ago," yeah, ok...maybe a ballad...I don't know...I have very strict rules (for me) as to what ballads are, and they are things like "Yesterday" (acoustic guitar stuff), or "Let It Be" or "My Love" (piano, or electric piano stuff).

Again, all subjective. I was just trying to put together a bunch of songs that I felt were UNIQUELY McCartney, that only he could come up with-- the melodic qualities, the playfulness, the quirky time shifts, the instrumentation, the this and the that that make it pure Paul.

Again, it did bring about some discussion, right? :)

Anyway, I've been listening to my "list" a lot lately (along with Xmas music, of course!), and I'm just blown away by The Man (and I don't mean the song with MJ, although I like that one a lot better than "Say, Say, Say!"). Macca is the Best.

But, then, that's why we're all here, right? :)
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 am

:shock: it is ??

i thought it was for the free t-shirts :lol:

....paul who ??

:? y'mean...this isn't the paul simon websight ~X( ...sounds of silence, indeed !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby bravefan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Same Time Next Year and Down to the River
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm

New is a popsong . My brave face is a popsong. Struggle is not a popsong. But what kind of song is Mary had a little lamb. Thats a tricky one to categorize. Hi, hi,hi is a rocker and a popsong. Press is a popsong.
actually I think it s meaningless to categorize music. There is music I like and Music I don t like. Thats the categories I need.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby lobbybobby » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:10 pm

mhnso wrote:New is a popsong . My brave face is a popsong. Struggle is not a popsong. But what kind of song is Mary had a little lamb. Thats a tricky one to categorize. Hi, hi,hi is a rocker and a popsong. Press is a popsong.
actually I think it s meaningless to categorize music. There is music I like and Music I don t like. Thats the categories I need.

Agree 1000%

I've been following this thread, and then wondering why.

For the record I think by definition they're ALL pop songs.

That's what he does.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

lobbybobby,

Yes I agree. I also agree with, I forgot the name, that music is music. If you like it, fine. If you don't fine.

Then I will go for Jet, HI, Hi, Hi, Magneto and Titanium Man, The Mess, Used to be Bad, Little Willow and Winedark Open Seas.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I can understand the categorizing of certain songs...but...person A might categorize a song differently than person B. And that's okay. We can agree or not all we want...but all we are doing is posting things the way we each see things ourselves. If we're giving our opinion...it's fruitless to disagree with anyone else.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions