New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) out!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) out!

Postby monkberry69 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:16 am

Available of AMAZON!

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

TITLE: Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013). A journey through Paul McCartney's songs after the Beatles. Foreword by Tony Clark.
LANGUAGE: English
AUTHOR: Luca Perasi
PAGES: 440
PRICE: 28 euros
ISBN: 9788890912214
DESCRIPTION: The stories behind all of Paul McCartney’s solo career compositions in chronological order of recording, from "McCartney" to "New". Recording dates, studios and “who played what” on each song. Includes 70 exclusive interviews with musicians, arrangers, producers and collaborators who worked with McCartney through the years: Denny Seiwell, Laurence Juber, Richard Niles, Richard Hewson, Alan O'Duffy, Carl Davis, Neil Dorfsman, Carlos Alomar, Jerry Marotta, Steve Holly... and many others!

The book is a song-by-song presentation of 383 songs officially released by Paul in his solo career. This is the complete list of people interviewed for the book:
Carlos Alomar, Kevin Armstrong, Pete Beachill, Stephanie Bennet, Mark Berry, Robin Black, Brian Blood, Carlos Bonell, John Bradbury, Geoffrey Brand, Adrian Brett, Alan Broadbent, John Lang Brown, Ron Carter, David Clayton, John Clayton, Tony Clark, Tony Coe, Jerry Conway, Carl Davis, Chris “Snake” Davis, Richard Davis, Neil Dorfsman, Pedro Eustache, Frank Farrell, Brent and Clare Fischer, Martyn Ford, Greg Hawkes, Gary Herbig, Richard Hewson, Steve Holly, Gordon Hunt, Laurence Juber, David Juritz, Brian Kay, Gary Kettel, James Kippen, John Leach, John Leckie, Steve Lyon, Wil Malone, Jerry Marotta, Dave Mattacks, Dave Matthews, Bazel Meade, Richard Niles, Leo Nocentelli, Dave O’Donnell, Alan O’Duffy, Lance Phillips, David Pogson, George Porter jr., Maurizio Ravalico, David Rhodes, Denny Seiwell, Kenneth Sillito, Marvin Stamm, Mike Stavrou, Stan Sulzmann, Tim Summerhayes, Joby Talbot, Michael Thompson, Fiachra Trench, Mike Vickers, Graham Ward, Stephen Wick, Ernie Winfrey, Bill Wolfer.

Links to purchase:

UK (with export all over the world)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCartney-Recor ... g+sessions

Germany

http://www.amazon.de/McCartney-Recordin ... g+sessions

France

http://www.amazon.fr/McCartney-Recordin ... g+sessions

Spain

http://www.amazon.es/McCartney-Recordin ... g+sessions

Dutch fans can purchase the book here:

http://www.maccazine.nl/now-sale-paul-m ... ca-perasi/
Last edited by monkberry69 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mccartney-recordings.com
The solo McCartney recording sessions finally in a book!
monkberry69

Re: New book PAUL McCARTNEY:RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2013) o

Postby mr h atom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:16 am

:-D thanks !!!!!!!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Jeremy K2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for this information. Do you know whether each song is reviewd or not or are the reviews more constructed as an album review?
Cheers
JK :-D
Jeremy K2

Postby monkberry69 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Jeremy K2 wrote:Thanks for this information. Do you know whether each song is reviewd or not or are the reviews more constructed as an album review?
Cheers
JK :-D

Each song it's numbered and has got his own entry, with recording dates and studios, release date, composer, text with all the available information about the song inspiration, how it was developed in the studio, interviews, quotes (nearly 900 footnotes) and a very detailed "who played what section".
monkberry69

Postby Jeremy K2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Wow!
What a quick reply.
Many thanks indeed!
Jeremy K2

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I may need to get this. What is the price tag?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes, it does seem like an essential. :-D
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 am

the first beatle book I ever purchased was The Beatles: Recording Sessions. I must have read it five times and used it as a reference book for a decade. I think that book started with the beatles first...and went on to cover the solo music up to tug of war (which was current at the time). if this is the same sort of thing...I'm buying.

thanks for the heads up monkyb
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby monkberry69 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:50 am

chris wrote:the first beatle book I ever purchased was The Beatles: Recording Sessions. I must have read it five times and used it as a reference book for a decade. I think that book started with the beatles first...and went on to cover the solo music up to tug of war (which was current at the time). if this is the same sort of thing...I'm buying.

thanks for the heads up monkyb

:)

SOME Q&A with help everyone to get a closer idea of the book's content. Hope you'll like it!

Q. Could you tell us how the idea of this book was born? And how it developed through the years?
A. Since I discovered The Beatles and McCartney’s music, I was extremely curious about facts related to the recording of the music. I was 13, but I was in search for dates, musicians…things that often are omitted in the sleeve notes! Back in 1999, I started thinking that – unbelievably - McCartney did not have a song-by-song book at the time. I was searching for it desperately, but (almost) nothing! So I thought, “Well, I’m going to write it myself!” So I did. It took so long. The last two years were dedicated mostly to the interviews and to the translation from Italian to English, since the first edition of the book has been published in Italy in February 2012 and it was really appreciated by the public. They often said to me: “Thank you, we missed a book like this.”

Q. How the book is organized? What kind of information we will find in it?
A. The book is a song-by-song one, where all the tracks are presented in their order of recording. Each song has recording dates, studios, release information, description, accounts, anecdotes and information - achieved through books, videos, archive interviews or EXCLUSIVE interviews - and last but not least, the list of musicians with their instruments. Each chapter, one year. No strange titles on it: it’s a flow of events.

Q. The real question is: is there something new in the book? Fans are obviously attracted by interesting and NEW information.
A. Yes. Mainly because I interviewed 70 McCartney collaborators: musicians, producers, arrangers, sound engineers. All their memories helped to reconstruct what happened in the studio and add new information to what we knew until now. I tried to obtain from them the best also in terms of new data. My aim was to offer something interesting, and some original research to contribute to the history of Paul McCartney’s recordings.

Q. Tell us about the sources.
A. Tons of books, magazines, footage, official and unofficial recording, old and new interviews, websites. Everything is quoted in the book: you’ll find 874 footnotes. I believe historical research is sources, and the public has to know

Q. Which kind of public the book is suitable to?
Everyone, I would say. Hard-core fans, because they’ll find very detailed stories about each song and new information. Casual fans, because if they’d like to know something, they don’t have to search everywhere to have a quick information. Musicians, because of the fact many musicians offered their recollection with some technical stuff. And everyone who is simply a fan of music, because the book traces of one most important musical careers in history.

Q. Tells us a story from the book.
Really, there are loads. I would go with MULL OF KINTYRE. As we know, it was recorded in Scotland (on August 13th, 1977) with members of the Campbeltown Pipe Band. Sound engineer Tim Summerhayes recalled the evening of the recording in a very detailed interview he gave me… They were recording outside with a mobile unit. He said that at a certain point, they noticed that the tapes looked dirty: when they investigated, they noticed they were full of squashed moths! They had to carefully try clean the tapes without damaging them… It’s worth a read!

Luca
monkberry69

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:56 pm

I ordered this book from amazon uk some days back. Seems like a very informative literature For Macca nerds
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions