NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby mr h atom » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:25 am

no offense , oobs (and everyone else on the coronation brigade) but i'm not there yet

this one lands, as an album, somewhere in the top ten...mayhap around 6...sevenish...

i've been trotting out ma warhosses (1-5) of late, and i just ain't ready to put any of 'em out ta pasture...

while i find this album a great excercise in creativity, so are they...

..and, while it treds the same fertile, creative ground as so many others...they were here first, and, in some cases (imho), did it better, i'm afraid !!

for the record...i did not catapult C&CITB into my top 5, like so many...

but i did do so for MAF...and i still think...delusional as it may seem, that MAF is the better album...

call me cwazeee...i know most will...but, i'm not wrong....

and New still doesn't beat MAF, PTP, M2 or Ram...

what ?!?!!! say you...me ?!!!??!! actually think PTP is better...oh, yea !

of course i do...give me 20 years or so...i might change my mind :wink:

...if this one has a short term chance for me...it'd be, maybe, 5...at best...so far

at that level...there's the very dependable, highly creative FITD and TOW...both kinda swapping places (and having certain...weakness'), depending on my mood/wishes/thinking/ponderings....

either of which might (slimly/possibly...given time), be overtaken...only if this one grows a mite bit more deeper than they already have, thru time, earned

..now, having said all that...had he been more...bold......had he made it a double LP (as he should have) ...and included all the so-far known extra tracks...and tossed in TSLOAPG...plus a surprise or two (you know they're out there)...i might've been there and gone !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:54 am

With NEW as part of the new ranking for me, this is how I'd vote:

1. FLAMING PIE (stands the test of time. It shot to #1 with a bullet when he first released it, and there has been nothing since to knock it off that perch-- although there have been several worthy challenges)
2. NEW (yes, it's shot all the way up to #2; yes, it's still early in the game; ask me in a couple of months and let's see if this changes)
3. TUG OF WAR (any album with a title track like this, a song as beautiful and heartfelt as "Here Today," and containing one of his finest post-Beatles ballads, "Wanderlust," is ok with me)
4. RAM (how can it NOT make the top 5? "3 Legs," btw, being my favorite track on it)
5. CHAOS & CREATION (great songs, plain and simple)

and the rest of the top 10 would go something like this...
6. MEMORY ALMOST FULL (very close call with C&CITBY-- on any given day, they could swap spots)
7. RUN DEVIL RUN (I don't care that it's mostly covers-- it's still an artistic statement, and on an emotional release level, it's his JL/POB-- it's all in his SINGING and in the energy of the songs)
8. BAND ON THE RUN (the American version, with "Helen Wheels")
9. ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS (I don't care who the official "artist" is, this is a Paul solo album-- the adventurous nature of which paved the road for NEW)
10.(haven't decided yet...I think there is a dropoff between the top 9 and the rest of them-- at least that's the way I feel right now...several titles could squeeze into this spot)
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 am

hmmmmm...eclectic...i like that :salute
mr h atom

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm

What separates NEW from all the others for me is the fact that there is not one single song that I dislike. That includes bonus tracks, hidden tracks, and special Japanese extra bonus tracks. I thought at first that I might dislike Everybody Out There, but I was wrong. Now I love it.

Every other Macca album has at least one tune that makes me go...meh.

Just one mans opinion of course.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:31 pm

New is definitely better than MAF (in my mind and ears). Still don't think it's in my top 5 but it has moved up the list. I love the fact that at age 71 Macca still has it going on. Nothing analytical about my view here but I know what I like.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:32 pm

...and, of course....you are both entirely entitled to your opinions...even IF they are WRONG :-D

..jus' kiddin', folks... :YMHUG:
mr h atom

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions