what 3 consecutive paul solo songs are best?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: what 3 consecutive paul solo songs are best?

Postby blmeanie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I think with time :
Alligator
On My Way To Work
Queenie Eye

Works for me, that is about the length of time my commute in the morning to work is, I hear this trilogy often.
blmeanie

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Great question!

I'm torn between these-

Dear Boy
Uncle Albert
Smile Away

(In fact there's a few different options on Ram that would be as good!)

Band On The Run
Jet
Bluebird
(For me, that's one of the few challengers to The Joshua Tree for "Best 3 song opening to an album of all time")

Put It There
Figure Of Eight
This One

I don't imagine too many people agreeing with this one but here goes (Mainly for it containing 3 great examples of the holy Macca trinity - Rock n roll, beautiful melody, piano anthem)-
Get Out Of My Way
Winedark Open Sea
C'mon People

House Of Wax
The End Of The End
Nod Your Head
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Let me Ponder this. I don't really ALWAYS like three songs in a row. I like maybe two songs then skip one or two and then like the next couple songs, that type of thing.

So I really need to put on my thinking cap and meditate a while on this.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Queenie Eye
Early Days
New
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:29 pm

You know...I liked the song new a lot from the very first...but it takes on a whole new pinch of awesome when put exactly where it is on the album.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 am

Early days - New - Appreciate. That trilogy of songs summarize very well what I liked about his music in the first place.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:35 am

I'd have extended it to "Appreciate" as well, but the thread wanted only three songs. Those are FOUR dynamite songs in a row.

Just to pull over to the side of the road here for a minute, just need to say, after countless listens to this album over the last few weeks, it hasn't diminished in the least. The songs I liked from the beginning I still like. The songs I didn't like, I've grown fond of. The only two I might skip on occasion are "Save Me" and "Everybody Out There," but they are by no means bad songs. I thought this was a special album from the beginning, and I haven't changed my mind. I don't think I will be changing my mind, either.

"Early Days" and "Hosanna" are shaping up as two of the finest songs he's ever done as a solo artist, IMHO. When the dust clears and we look back on that album, those two songs are going to stick out and be recognized as classics.

And, for anyone who can either get the Japanese import or get on YOUTUBE and convert it to MP3, "Struggle" is a fascinating track. I like it more and more with each listen. Very different than anything he's ever done, but still with that unmistakeable Paul sound.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Greetings,

I've been pondering this question. I can't really come up with three CONSECUTIVE songs that I really like or that stand out in my brain.

But I do agree with oobu about:

Put It There, Figure of Eight (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concert version), and This One.
But I also like: Get Out of My Way, Winedark Open Seas (I absolutely LOVE this one) and C'mon People.

You Guys make it so difficult for me. But I am going to continue to ponder this and hopefully I can come up with something. HOPEFULY!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Girl4Beats wrote:Greetings,

I've been pondering this question. I can't really come up with three CONSECUTIVE songs that I really like or that stand out in my brain.

But I do agree with oobu about:

Put It There, Figure of Eight (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concert version), and This One.
But I also like: Get Out of My Way, Winedark Open Seas (I absolutely LOVE this one) and C'mon People.

You Guys make it so difficult for me. But I am going to continue to ponder this and hopefully I can come up with something. HOPEFULY!!

Hi - I must admit Off the Ground is an album I don t particulary enjoy- but Winedark open sea is one I really like. Great song, great arrangement and great singing
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

mhnso,

I whole heartedly agree.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions