what 3 consecutive paul solo songs are best?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: what 3 consecutive paiul solo songs are best?

Postby chris » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:42 pm

blmeanie wrote:Vintage Clothes
That was me
Feet in the Clouds

if I could extend it for sure I'd say right behind those three:

House of Wax
The End of the End

Great 5 to listen to in a row.

nice call, your blueness. actually love your choices.

no wrong answers here, of course. but it does make me happy that a recent album is getting some attention here.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: what 3 consecutive paul solo songs are best?

Postby blmeanie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 pm

but it does make me happy that a recent album is getting some attention here.

I do need to admit that the first 7 songs on Memory don't do much for me, I guess Dance Tonight is catchy and I would listen to it if it came on but the rest I can do without.
blmeanie

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:03 am

i, too, thought more than briefly upon my beloved, mhnso...
but, i could not choose betwix the 3 you so greatly honored and

bogey music
darkroom
one of these days

seriously, folks: deliriously looped + wicked perversity + pensive granduer = musical journey into sonic heaven por moi

i simply could not choose...but, then i thought of what bluey said, and his aim is true
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 am

Id go for another holy trinity - this time from the wonderful Ram

1. Heart of the country - a very underrated song that for me is a real classic, great words and a rather unique jazz/folk vibe. Scatsinging from Paul,
2. Monkberry moon delight - well this is another cup of tea. Aklso some scatsigning, but this time in a more filthy mood. A weird classic - once heard never forgotten
3. Eat at home - and here is another silly love song about bringing food to bed or whatever. Slightly Buddy Hollis but most of all -a catchy,upbeat popsong that is guaranted to put a smile on your face
These three like many other s here show the amazing versality of Pauls work. From jazz to -well strange to pop without any hesitation. Also show a lot of vocal range
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 am

if monkberry were teamed with either uncle albert, too many people or smile away...it WOULD be the single greatest 3 set ever, that's for sure !
mr h atom

Postby cd1500rpm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 am

I'm with mhnso. These three in a row are my favs. I'm a big fan of Side 1 of McC II. I've read past posts where Temp Sec annoys a lot of people but I like that one, especially the drum sound.

mhnso wrote:Coming up - easy one of Pauls best solopopnumbers, never get tired of this monstertrack,if the rumours are true the one that put Lennon back in business
Temporary Secretary - A very funny but also melodic stab at electronic pop - way ahead of it s time and a hit on the clubscene some years ago
On the way - On the surface a very easy bluesnumber. Drenched inb echo with an almost reggaefied dubfeeling. Repeated listening makes this a great,weird song
These three traks with everything played by Macca in many ways shows his amazing versality but also the experimental side. With the fourth song Waterfalls there also is his melodic genius. They just don t make albums like this anymore
cd1500rpm

Postby mmmjet » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Fun topic. How about this: Tug Of War, Take It Away, and Somebody Who Cares. Tug of War....brilliant. Take It Away....an underrated great pop song. Somebody Who Cares....a great acoustic tune, with a great hook for a chorus and odd time signature part.
mmmjet

Postby mr h atom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 am

i, too, thought of those...they are 3 really great songs.

but, like the album itself (which reminds of the tone and feel of 'chaos...') just seems a little tame.
it's very well written, all very well played, but lacks the adventurousness of, say, 'ram' and those 3 songs, or 'mccartney II'

'choas' and 'tug..' are great movies that make you ponder at life with contemplative attention...'ram' and 'mac2' are like the best popcorn extravaganzas that thrill you and have the bonus of having quite a bit to make you think about
mr h atom

Postby linclink » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm

These aren't my necessarily my favorite songs on these albums, though some of them would be, just as the OP asked, the best three song runs on these albums. Sometimes there were two songs in a row that I'd prefer to any of the three I chose, but they were surrounded with lesser songs (not bad, just lesser, sometimes noticeably lesser), so we've got great, balanced, three song runs, and plenty of them.

**- Really would span two album sides, and only works in the CD era
##- More than a 3 song run, hard to choose which one to complete the three (Most tricky here is my second "Band On The Run" entry where you can run it from the end of side one through all of side two, but "Helen Wheels" is not on U.K. version, so there you go).

##From "McCartney": "Every Night", "Hot as Sun/Glasses", "Junk" & "Man We Was Lonely"
Note- I prefer "Every Night" to "Man We Was Lonely", but put this four song run together because "Hot As Sun/Glasses" is an instrumental.

From "Ram": "Ram On", "Dear Boy" & "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"
Note- The lesser songs here for me ("3 Legs", "Smile Away", "Monkberry Moon Delight", & "Long Haired Lady") are still great, just a little bit lesser for me, which messed with the song run idea a bit, so I just chose the three I did...

From "Red Rose Speedway": "Big Barn Bed", "My Love", "Get on the Right Thing",

From "Band On The Run": "Band on the Run", "Jet", & "Bluebird"
**##From "Band On The Run": "Let Me Roll It", "Mamunia", "No Words", "Helen Wheels" (US and international only; not UK), "Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" & "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"
Note- Only "Mrs. Vanderbilt" feels a bit lesser, and that's just in relation to the others, it's still a fine song.

From "Venus & Mars": "Venus & Mars", "Rock Show" & "Love in Song"
From "Venus & Mars": "Call Me Back Again", "Listen to What the Man Said" & "Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People"

From "Back To The Egg": "Getting Closer", "We're Open Tonight" & "Spin It On"

From "Tug Of War": "Tug of War", "Take It Away", & "Somebody Who Cares"
**##From "Tug Of War": "Here Today", "Ballroom Dancing", "The Pound Is Sinking", "Wanderlust"
Note- The ending two songs on side one, and the starting two songs on side two are a four song CD run that's really great...

**From "Flowers In The Dirt": "Put It There", "Figure Of Eight", & "This One"
Note- Since this spans two album sides feel free to substitute adding the fine duo "Don't Be Careless Love" & "That Day Is Done" for a four song run that starts side two to choose from...I just prefer the three I chose.

From "Off The Ground": "Get Out of My Way", "Winedark Open Sea" & "C'mon People"/"Cosmically Conscious"

From "Flaming Pie": "Young Boy", "Calico Skies" & "Flaming Pie"
Note- The four songs preceding these ("The Song We Were Singing", "The World Tonight", "If You Wanna" &"Somedays") represent another string to work with, which would also include the first two of the three I chose- great run...Only "Really Love You" & "Used To Be Bad" are noticeably lesser here, which, with 14 songs, still leaves a dozen killer tracks.

##From "Driving Rain": "I Do", "Tiny Bubble", "Magic" & "Your Way"

From "Chaos & Creation In The Backyard": "Fine Line", "How Kind of You" & "Jenny Wren"
##From "Chaos & Creation In The Backyard": "Follow Me", "Promise to You Girl", "This Never Happened Before" & "Anyway"
Note- This album is almost a complete run, and the two lesser tracks for me ("English Tea" & "A Certain Softness") are only vaguely so (much less so than the lesser two on "Flaming Pie")

From "Memory Almost Full: "Ever Present Past", "See Your Sunshine" & "Only Mama Knows"
From "Memory Almost Full: "Vintage Clothes", "That Was Me", & "Feet in the Clouds"

**From "Electric Arguments": "Light From Your Lighthouse", "Sun Is Shining", "Dance 'Til We're High" &"Lifelong Passion"

I can sort of add this one too, though the middle song is clearly a much weaker link...
Note: By adding this we could open up lots of two songs with one weaker threesomes...but two of the three here are great, and "I Am Your Singer" is good at least & for the second worst groups of his albums ("Wings Wild Life", "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" & "London Town"), this is a standout amongst that crowd

From "Wings Wild Life": # "Some People Never Know", "I Am Your Singer" & "Tomorrow"

Shocked to be able to say I could eek out this one, on one of what I'd call one of his three weakest albums ("McCartney II", "Pipes Of Peace" & "Press To Play"), not his three best songs, but three relatively strong songs on a lesser album...
Note- I prefer the lesser songs on "Ram" or "Chaos & Creation In The Backyard" to the strongest tracks on "Press To Play"...

From "Press To Play": "Footprints", "Only Love Remains" & "Press"
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby chris » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:57 pm

there are quite a few opportunities from NEW to qualify for this post. early days, new, and appreciate surely show, consecutively, how diverse a songwriter paul can be.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions