Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby mhnso » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:49 am

Bach to topic again I would like to explain why I find Macca to be one of the best- if not best songwriter ever.
1. His sense of melody is unsurpassed. I find it amazing that this well is not yet dry. He still comes up with those seemingly effortless melodies like say New or My Valentine
2. His words ofte nails the mood of the song. Recently they have also become more personal. Some of his words like Yesterday, Hey Jude, Maybe Im amazed or Silly lovesongs are a part of more peoples lives than any other songwriter I can think of.
3. He is the undisputed master of the middle eight
4. Noone within pop world can weawe together different patterns and melodies like him. In that way he is a true composer
5 He can still ages 71 surprise us with a great song that really doesn t sound like anything he s done before - Hosannah is proof of that
6. He has written some 200 songs that have made the charts- noone ever going to beat that
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:00 pm

mhnso wrote:Bach to topic again I would like to explain why I find Macca to be one of the best- if not best songwriter ever.
1. His sense of melody is unsurpassed. I find it amazing that this well is not yet dry. He still comes up with those seemingly effortless melodies like say New or My Valentine
2. His words ofte nails the mood of the song. Recently they have also become more personal. Some of his words like Yesterday, Hey Jude, Maybe Im amazed or Silly lovesongs are a part of more peoples lives than any other songwriter I can think of.
3. He is the undisputed master of the middle eight
4. Noone within pop world can weawe together different patterns and melodies like him. In that way he is a true composer
5 He can still ages 71 surprise us with a great song that really doesn t sound like anything he s done before - Hosannah is proof of that
6. He has written some 200 songs that have made the charts- noone ever going to beat that

Another point that fits in nicely with the ones you make there is that perhaps no one else has successfully covered the number of styles of music that McCartney has.

Just a few off the top of my head-

Merseybeat
R & B
Folk
Pure pop
Psychedelic Rock
Heavy Rock
Music Hall
Hollywood Musical
Classical
Ballet
Jazz
Comedy
Avant-Garde
AOR
MOR
Children's Songs
Film Scores
Surf Rock
Blues
Protest Songs
Rock n Roll
African
Country
Disco
Christmas
Synth Pop
Trance
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:28 pm

I agree with mhnso on "The Laz Thing" and on Macca's music. I also agree with oobu on Macca's talent.

And although I LOVE the back and forth of all this, I think this thread has reached its end. I will although continue to read it because it brightens my otherwise gray and overcast day, I will not contribute to it anymore.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I think Laz should have his opinions (even though I think they are wrong) BUT AGAIN, when you, ole Laz, have an album on the charts that is selling well, then I will agree with your suggestion that your lyrics are just as good or even better than McCartney's.

COLOR ME GONE!!

For all of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you and yours have a very lovely one.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:11 am

THAT..is quite a list, Oobs...

impressive...most impressive....

never quite thought of it that way...and to have both adopted to and, as you pointed out, utilized these various styles to quite good effect...often times revisiting them with similar creative and enhancing results...

intriguing...the man has, near singlehandedly, offered a musical plethora of recent history and has done so with aplomb

in the end, one might say macca has ...style style

is he perfect all the time ??
...no...but, at least he tries...and, imho, more than a bit often, succeeeds admirably

well done, Oobu.... ^:)^

..and in case i don't get back to it...i, for one, am thankful every day to all our maccacentral friends and family...and, yes, that very much includes laz...

i know alot of you may not have this particular holiday ...or at least, like our version or at this time...but it is a warm and welcoming moment...a time to pause and reflect on the importance of all the things that make the last year...and every year, special...

and a very special thanks to mike and his family...hope all is well with you and yours, friend....

to paraphrase that dickens of a writer...god bless us...everyone
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 am

I will spend Christmas far away from the cold of Sweden. Sitting on a tropical Beach drinking rum and contemplate about life. But this have not stopped me from buying a Christmas record. Do that every year. This time My choice was Nick Lowes new opus- Quality street. À sombre, mellow and very funny seasonal greeting from one if the great songwriters of our time.
It s not the normal Christmas record. The artist even procoaimez it a sleighbellfree zone. Highly recomended. There is a great video with one of this albums gems Chrismas at the airport enjoy and nerryck Christmas to y all.
http://www.lastfm.se/music/Nick+Lowe/_/ ... he+Airport
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 am

excellent posts, OobuJoobu1971 and Mr. H.

All one has to do is look at the last couple of years:

(1) Putting out an album of standards (including a couple of originals written in the same style) and doing them quite well, I thought (I have many of those songs in various playlists, and really enjoy hearing and singing along to them when they randomly pop up).

(2) cutting one of the hardest rocking tracks of his solo career with the surviving members of Nirvana, and performing the hell out of it at the Concert For Sandy, and also on SNL.

(3) the NEW album, which couldn't be further from either KOTB or "Cut Me Some Slack" in sound and style, yet as eclectic in style in it's own right as one can get on one album.

Listen to, say, "My Valentine," then "Cut Me Some Slack," then two or three randomly chosen tracks from NEW, and it's stunning that this music can all be coming from (and WRITTEN, or co-written by) one 71 year old Englishman (ok, he was in his late 60's when he recorded some of this stuff, but you get the idea!).

So, play these consecutively:

"My Valentine"
"Cut Me Some Slack"
"Hosanna"
"Queenie Eye"
"Appreciate"
"Turned Out"
"Early Days"
"Road"
"Struggle"

that, to steal a phrase from a McCartney written tune from way back when, is quite the Magical Mystery Tour.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 pm

as per the subject of the moment...look at the astonishingly high level of lyrical content on many/most of those songs mentioned, as well...

word-wise...most of these are deft, well-crafted, noteworthy addtions to...almost :-D ...anyones canon of writings

in a few of those songs you've suggested, Matts...i'd say there are some classically written gems that'll stand the test of time for most honest admirers of a well written lyric/song...

and that would seem to be the essence of being underrated...layers of achievement often overlooked
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby garrystanton » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Yes Mr H...and his Bobness himself said he is in awe of Macca- quite an endorsement.
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Mr. H, I think you're right. If these songs were written under a pseudonym, I'm sure there would be much in depth analysis. But, you know, it's just Paul...

...who, as Garry has pointed out, has won the admiration of Ol Zimmy Wilbury.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions