Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 pm

I think it's fair to discuss individual songs and what we like or don't like about them. We don't have to agree.

For my part, I'd agree with Laz on "Dear Friend." I can't listen to that song. It goes NOWHERE. Nice beginning...then...what?

As for "I'm Carrying," however, I'm of a different mind. There are times I've listened to it and thought, 'hmm, there is no chorus, the lyrics are repetitive..." but then, there are other times where I think it's nearly a perfect little love song. Intentionally simple, sweet, and to the point.

Also, not ALL his songs-- come on, the guy has written kazillions of them-- have to be immaculate model compositions written in some form of Tin Pan Alley/George Gershwin/Steven Sondheim-type of songwriting class perfection.

This type of over-analysis was done on the early Beatles. And, of course, most "serious" critics dismissed them as a fad, as incompetent, out of tune, banal, lousy-voiced frauds, who couldn't properly play their instruments. Sort of like Paul's own father, who didn't understand why they sang "yeah, yeah, yeah" and wanted them to correct it to "yes, yes, yes."

We all know what history has taught us there.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:57 pm

after giving this a bit of thought...I guess i'm going to have to side with mattal and james. there is nothing wrong with laz thinking he's a better songwriter than paul. I consider it a bit ego-centric...but that's okay. what offended me was not that he had a thought I disagreed with...but that he kept on repeating that uni-thought over and over again...like magnus said...a drunken parrot. and we all know paul has had his...weak...moments, lyric wise. nothing wrong with pointing them out and discussing them. but I think his lyrics have been much stronger of late. even rivaling the best of his solo career. I can't think of a solo album he's done, in fact...(maybe chaos, even then...probably not) that has better lyrics than the NEW one. this album has connected with me in a way that no other has in a long, long time.

what paul does really well, though...even in songs I don't really care for...is make parts of songs that are really enjoyable. he is a master craftsman...I think he patches parts of songs together better than anyone. uncle albert/band on the run/venus and mars/rockshow are all great examples of piecework song making. not to mention the AR medley. and his middle eights are beyond comparison...dropping in a part of song that, with nearly any other artist...would have no business being there. a recent example of a great middle eight is early days.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:26 pm

You know Chris it was the repetitiveness of the whole thing that finallly got me a bit p-d of. And the way of knocking -say Maybe Im amazed because the lyrics don t stand on their own. Man- that is so stupid . Who buys a record to sit and read the lyrics without listening to the song. The Word are suposed to work in the context of the song- that s what songwriting is all about. And it s popmusic and entertaiment not fine art, poetry or philosoohy. Even Dylan says that he often picks words to fit the rythm and the meter of the song. Only an idiot would buy- say the Cole Porter songbook to sit and read the lyrics
Roll over Beethoven
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:45 pm

You have yourselves to blame for the repetitiveness.
You all kept bringing it up after I happened to mention it in a post. Then I responded in kind. You responded. I responded.

That is how discussion of two different points of view usually works. You keep trying to explain your position. I mine.
I sometimes try to put a different spin on my same point.
You all attempt refute it again and get ultra-defensive to the point of abusive language(within context) in some cases...
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:10 pm

But Laz, this IS a Macca site and not a Laz site. Like I said, I listen to the music and the way the singer sings the song. As to whether you can write better lyrics than McCartney, I would disagree but then I am very biased with it comes to McCartney. Until you have a song or album on the charts I am not going to say you are right or wrong, just a little confused.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:You have yourselves to blame for the repetitiveness.
You all kept bringing it up after I happened to mention it in a post. Then I responded in kind. You responded. I responded.

That is how discussion of two different points of view usually works. You keep trying to explain your position. I mine.
I sometimes try to put a different spin on my same point.
You all attempt refute it again and get ultra-defensive to the point of abusive language(within context) in some cases...

Sorry Laz if you feel abused. I just think the way you put your arguments as facts are silly. Also think you are wrong judging lyrics as bad because they don t work on their own. Most of the time they are only supposed to work within the context of the song-fit the melody, meter and rytm. Your opnion about your own talent is also your right to have. But this is not the right place to spread that gospel. And I personally think- that even if confidence is a good thing it can also be the opposite. Because- whether you agree with ut or not Macca is generally regarded as one if the most skilled songwriters ever. I haven t heard your stuff but honestly - I seriously doubt you are that good. And if you are- let your songs do the talking- not your talk about it. Just a friendly advice.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm

I don't think I ever once purported anything as fact.
To avoid confusion I've even had to start writing 'my opinion' into everything i post. This is not enough however. People don't read words properly. They see something they don't like and then red fills their eyes.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Laz, do you by any chance live under a bridge? I really don't care if you like Macca's lyrics or not. If you want to bemoan the quality of his lyrics, why don't you start a thread called "Macca sucks" or whatever. This thread is called "Why Macca's lyrics are underrated". If you don't agree with the premise of the thread say your piece and exit the thread. Put your comments in an appropriate thread and maybe you wouldn't get so much flak (probably wouldn't get many replies, either). You must know that returning to a thread over and over when you don't agree with the premise invites vitriol. Why do it? You are edging close to troll behavior, my friend. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 am

Fine. If all you want is threads like 'isnt he great, isnt this great, isnt that great, i love this about mccartney, i love that' ad nauseum... I'll keep off this one at the least.
But to me when you claim something or insinuate something it invites for opinion and discussion. Little did I know we were supposed to agree wholeheartedly with the premise of threads if we are to be allowed to participate in them.

If participating is trolling. Well I'm a troll then.
*resigns in frustration to faulty logic of this sites users*
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 am

I said if you disagree, fine. Say what you have to say, but don't beat a dead horse, man! Sheesh... ~X(
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions