Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:34 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:
Very scarce. Barely four lines. Then a repeating of the 'im carrying ' parts

Because that's EXACTLY what that song needed. It didn't need loads of lyrics. That song is all about the melody and how it slowly builds with extra layers throughout the song.

If you think that song needs more lyrics then that's a perfect example of why McCartney knows more about song writing than you could ever hope to come close to.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 am

Laz, I've written a few songs over the years myself, and performed them live loads of times.

I don't claim them to be great songs, but I'm comfortable enough with them. There's been lots of occasions over the years where I've heard a song, and a part of it (maybe a lyric, maybe a bit of melody) has struck me immediately as something I wouldn't have come up with had I written the song, and I've thought to my myself "you know what, they're right, and I'm wrong. I'd have done it differently, and I'd have been wrong to do so."

I'm so glad I have that attitude rather than the one you seem to be pushing.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
oobujoobu1971

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 am

Others like Dear Friend also have beautiful melody and start okay enough. But he simply lacked the ability to write more verses that made any sense. The second verse is a huge letdown coming off the first. Using the word friend again, after already starting was started stupid. A song with mucb potential lyrically. But squandered with poor ability to write.

The second verse reads.

Dear friend, throw the wine.
I'm in love with a friend of mine.
Really truly young and newly wed.
Are you a fool or is it true?

And that's s it. After this verse he gives up completely.
He gives us tiny tiny flashes of what could constitute something if fleshed out properly. But then merely doesnt put the required effort on his part.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:49 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:I'm not talking about myself at the moment. I am talking about McCartney songs. A lot of the list you mention offer scarce lyrics. The only thing that saves Maybe I'm Amazed is the melody and production which are near perfect if not perfect.
On their own. The lyrics dont hold up as anything but lazy lazy writing. He says the phrase Maybe I'm Amazed so many times you lose count. And that's just one song from your list. I can do most of the others too if you'd like.

My claims about myself are my opinion and not necessarily wrong or right. If you're allowed to keep repeating about how great such and such songs are, why should I not be granted the same courtesy to be allowed to repeat myself?

Finally you shows that you know absolutely nothing about songwriting - and I mean zero. À songs greatness is the combination of word and music. Most people in the know how finds Maybe I m amazed a great SONG. Get it- not a novel or a poem - Both Maybe Im amazed and Im carrying are examples of songs.. You prefer songs with many words - thats fine. But seriously mate -since when did your preferences- become the standard for songwriting. Your opnions are one thing but please don t claim them as fact.
Of course you are entitled to post whatever you like- just don t see the point on a board devoted to Macca sending post after post claiming that he doesn t know how to write songs. Doesn t really make sense. Add to that-ecscuse me for saying it- your somewhat unrealistic claim to actually be a better songwriter than Macca. It s not true .
As I Said before I m not spending more time dealing with a discussion that only moves in circles.
But Laz I am slightly disapointmed and have overestimated your capacity when it comes to discussing things. But I Will deal with that.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 am

I'm sorry but the lyrics of I'm Carrying indicate to me:
okay you've started this song, first verse, second verse only two lines, nevertheless we're at the end somehow.
There's this whole story that is stuck in non-existence land.

When he wrote Eleanor Rigby he cared to actually tell us a story with a beginning middle end. His solo years seem to consist of 'I'll start this song, do the music properly, but make you write your own story in'
McCartney solo years songwriting is a 'fill in the blanks' which is usually the whole damn meat of the song(lyrically).

add: mhnso, if your idea of discussion is me agreeing with you all the time... Oh well...
It's my opinion that I can write better songs than McCartney, as you like to keep bringing up, my opinion is no less valid than anybody elses when it comes to the topic of songwriting.
Lyrics are an important part of 'quality' songwriting to me..
It doesn't mean that I can't readily enjoy a song with poor lyrics or not having quality writing.
McCartney has proven on occassion that he has the capacity to write a decent set of lyrics. Mostly though you'll find these examples in his beatle days. His solo years it's my opinion he stopped caring about what he wrote down.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:18 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:I'm sorry but the lyrics of I'm Carrying indicate to me:
okay you've started this song, first verse, second verse only two lines, nevertheless we're at the end somehow.
There's this whole story that is stuck in non-existence land.

When he wrote Eleanor Rigby he cared to actually tell us a story with a beginning middle end. His solo years seem to consist of 'I'll start this song, do the music properly, but make you write your own story in'
McCartney solo years songwriting is a 'fill in the blanks' which is usually the whole damn meat of the song(lyrically).

add: mhnso, if your idea of discussion is me agreeing with you all the time... Oh well...
It's my opinion that I can write better songs than McCartney, as you like to keep bringing up, my opinion is no less valid than anybody elses when it comes to the topic of songwriting.
Lyrics are an important part of 'quality' songwriting to me..
It doesn't mean that I can't readily enjoy a song with poor lyrics or not having quality writing.
McCartney has proven on occassion that he has the capacity to write a decent set of lyrics. Mostly though you'll find these examples in his beatle days. His solo years it's my opinion he stopped caring about what he wrote down.

This is My last posting in this matter. Your opnions are just as valid as anyone elses. Thing is - you state them as a fact. Like a schooltecher with a red pencil you sit over the lyrics. You even claims that Macca is lazy and don t bother to finish his songs. That is something you don t know f- k about. Dear friend or Im carrying might be exactley the way he wanted them. After all he is the writer and artist. If you don t like it- thats ok as long as you don t state it as a fact. Most of us here likes different things within Maccas legacy- no problem.
And Laz - I think the word lazy fits better to describe a person who spends hours on the internet claiming to be a better songwriter than Macca. Instead of being in the real word provning it with actual qualitysongs.
End of the line here mate.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:It's my opinion that I can write better songs than McCartney

That is as valid a quote as me saying it's my opinion that I can play better football than Lionel Messi, based on the fact that I once scored a goal but Messi missed the target at various points over his career.

That would be a ridiculous argument and you know it.

You claim that, given the resources, money and studio time, that you could be as successful as McCartney. What you don't seem to understand is that no one makes great records because of their wealth, it's the other way round, they have wealth because they made great records. Some of the best records ever made have been made by people who didn't have a pot to piss in at the time of writing/recording.

I'm also dipping out of this ridiculous conversation here, I've said everything I want to say (as, sometimes, do great songwriters after just one verse of a song).
oobujoobu1971

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:37 am

I disagree comparing skill at a GAME of football like that IS ridiculous. But art and songwriting is different.
Art is subjective. Games of football and peoples skills at them is quantifiable with statistics of wins, losses, how many pkjnts scored verses variohs opposition during games.

Art is far different than games of skill or whatnots.
Completely different things.

Golf is not subjective. There are clear indicators whether you are good or bad. Art with regards to songwriting(the writing itself) is subjective. My subjective opinion is not wrong nor right, but it is valid.

It is a valid statement that i am just as good at writing a song as McCartney or better.

that is a fact. Deal with it.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:39 am

Why does anyone care if Laz thinks he can write better songs than McCartney?

You go, Laz ^:)^
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:29 am

james1985 wrote:Why does anyone care if Laz thinks he can write better songs than McCartney?

You go, Laz ^:)^

Hmm Don t care at all really - it was just that this discussion - partly due to Laz-s way of putting things somehow ended there. But now I am out if it.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions