Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

MHN....

That's the song. I knew someone would know it since a lot are Dylan fans. Yes I like that song.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 pm

"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is an unfinished song? Wow. It' finished enough for me!

Not only do I like Dylan's version, I absolutely LOVE Warren Zevon's.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Don't believe I've ever heard Warren Zevon's version. But then again, I don't listen to a wide range of music by a wide range of singers. I am very biased when it comes to my music listening. Hey! That's me.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 am

:ymapplause: ...yeah, Matts... :-BD

the zevon version is, indeed, a most sublime creation...so sad...so honest...so true...much like the whole of the album

"shadows are fallin and i'm runnin outta breath...keep me in your heart for a while..."

....dang....great album.... :salute Z
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 am

Warren Zevon -a great fallen master. Werewolfes of London rocks a s-tload i would say.
Back to topic. My aim when showing the lyrics of Dylans sublime Wiggle Wiggle together with Maccas equal sublime Bip Bop was to give attention that both those giants sometimes makes songs that really doesn t mean very much. Diference is that every time Maccas lyrics are discussed Bip Bop or Driving Rain is brought up. I rarely see anyone mention Wiggle Wiggle discussed when Dylans abilities of writing lyrics are discussed. With that said I still believe that Dylan is the best lyricist there ever has been within the rock clture and arguably one of the greatest writers of any time. But Macca is a far better lyricist than he is credited for. He can be funny, sentimental and honest. He is partially good that with relatively few words creates moods and tell stories. He often disguises his true feelings in metaphors but lately also has made more straightforward writings. I would say that in his own way Macca has written more good lyrics than most and some also worse than most.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 am

Often times we his solo works you see the lyrics and he's only bothered writing one verse, maybe two.

Eb and Iv is an example of this. Barely two verses then repeats for another 3 minutes. He hasn't learned bow to call 'cut' instead just repeats the same musical paterns an additional manh minutes more than nessecary.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:25 am

Lazarus
Your third example in your ongoin crusade to prove that Macca can not write songs is Ebony and Ivory, before that you have mentioned Mumbo and Driving Rain. Personally I belong to the minority that actually like Ebony and Ivory but anyway your examples are a bit odd
1 I and others here are aware of your opnions. But most of us doesn t share them. What is the point of repeating them like a drunken Parrot
2. Why don t you exemplifie your thesis with songs like Jenny Wren, At the Mercy, Queenie Eye, Maybe Im amazed, Band on the Run, The pound is sinking, Old Siam Sir, Eleanor Rigby, mr Bellamey, Only Mama knows, Run Devil Run, heaven on a sunday, Dear friend, To many people, Back seat of my car, Alligator,Coming up, Wanderlust, Hey Jude, Tug of war , Bad Boys bickering, no more lonely nights, Hosannah, Early Days, Vanity Fair, We got married, Juniors farm, mrs Vanderbildt, My brave face, Mull of Kintyre, i m carrying, Love in song, Every night,Yesterday or Another day.
3. I know why- because if you did you would be standning there with your pantalones down way under your knees.Proven that whatever talent you have you haven t done anything close to this stuff. And very few others as well
End of this discussion for me- unless you actually admit that both your ways of arguing and some of your selfboostings might be a little over the top
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 am

I'm not talking about myself at the moment. I am talking about McCartney songs. A lot of the list you mention offer scarce lyrics. The only thing that saves Maybe I'm Amazed is the melody and production which are near perfect if not perfect.
On their own. The lyrics dont hold up as anything but lazy lazy writing. He says the phrase Maybe I'm Amazed so many times you lose count. And that's just one song from your list. I can do most of the others too if you'd like.

My claims about myself are my opinion and not necessarily wrong or right. If you're allowed to keep repeating about how great such and such songs are, why should I not be granted the same courtesy to be allowed to repeat myself?
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:22 am

Mattal1958 wrote:"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is an unfinished song? Wow. It' finished enough for me!

Not only do I like Dylan's version, I absolutely LOVE Warren Zevon's.

When I say unfinished, what I mean is that, had someone else written it, let's say Macca, or Elton John/Taupin they probably would have made a much "bigger" song/production out of it (Not necessarily better). Dylan seems to give you the verse and chorus, the general idea of the song, and before you know it it's finished!

Not criticising Dylan at all, I love the guy.

I suppose it's the equivalent of if Macca had left us with just a fragment of Maybe I'm Amazed on the McCartney album, rather than the full song we got (In my opinion his greatest ever song!).
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:23 am

I'm Carrying.

By dawns first light I come back to your room again.
With my carnation hidden by the packages.
I'm carrying something.
Im carrying something for you.

Ah long time no see baby sure has been a while.
And if my reeappearance lacks a sense of style.
I'm carrying. Can't help it.
I'm carrying something for you.

Very scarce. Barely four lines. Then a repeating of the 'im carrying ' parts
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions