Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm

See, if Dylan wrote "Bip Bop," ROLLING STONE would have had at least five writers falling all over themselves expounding on it's simplistic, minimalistic brilliance! (actually, I remember hearing an interview with Paul a little after he had done WILD LIFE, and he pretty much said the quick-and-done sessions were inspired by ol' Zimmy, who tended to record quickly, with not too many takes).

Speaking of minimalism...what if Paul had written "My Mummy's Dead" instead of John? He had every right to that sentiment as John did...perhaps moreso, because he didn't have an Auntie Mimi to protect him under her wing...although, I guess old James was a pretty stable influence on Paul. Anyway, what would the McCartney hating scribblers have said about THAT one?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby boney1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I came across Macca's website today and was suprised by the 'question quality' of our Japanese friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION 5: To Paul
(Japanese Fan Question submitted via 'You Gave Me The Answer')
Fuminori asks:
"Do you think that singing your songs is a good way for me to learn English?"
Paul:
"I think that it is definitely a good way. Many people all over the world, for instance Russia and South America, learn English by listening to our music and finding out what the lyrics mean."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I don't think that Bip Bop is a good one to start with. It's too difficult. It's more for advanced English study.
Like literature.
I think you agree mr M. You'r setting the bar with Bip Bop too high for mr.Laz . :lol:

B.
looking through the backyard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away
boney1

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Okay. I think SOME people tend to over analyze and TRY to find some meaning to the lyrics. What if there ARE no meanings? What if he just wants to put a bunch of words together that rhyme or that sound good. Not saying he does, but I think trying to figure out what he is singing about or analyzing the lyrics to death is what a LOT of people do.

Just enjoy the music and his singing. That's what I do.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 am

I really like Bip BoP for what it is- a fun thing. Agree that there sometimes can be a bit of overanalyzation when it comes to lyrics In fact that s why I mentioned Bip Bop
And Dylan has had his sheer of both bad press The Rolling Stones rewiew of Selfportrait is a classic starting with'What is this s-t
Dylan also have hos own Bip Bop. À track from 1991 called Wiggle Waggle.
Last edited by mhnso on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:52 am

G4B...going be honest, sweetheart...that was the most natural, honest, cohesive post you've ever posted. I think you're a little more awesome with that bit of...you. Welcome to the club. You are one of us now.

Sorry...if by association...that knocks you down a few notches.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:14 am

Here is Bob Dylans companion song to Bip Bop . It s called Wiggle, Wiggle and is included on the 1991 album Under the red sky. Gunsn roses guitarist Slash is featured on this track but his axe is mixed so low you almost can t hear it. According to Slash Dylan hid his face with a hood during the session and when Slash asked Bob how to play the answer was. make it sound like Django Reinhart. This tune proves that not only Macca is capable of great lyrics
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a gypsy queen
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle all dressed in green
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle 'til the moon is blue
Wiggle 'til the moon sees you

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle in your boots and shoes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, you got nothing to lose
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, like a swarm of bees
Wiggle on your hands and knees

Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the rear
Wiggle 'til you wiggle right out of here
Wiggle 'til it opens, wiggle 'til it shuts
Wiggle 'til it bites, wiggle 'til it cuts

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle, you can raise the dead

Wiggle 'til you're high, wiggle 'til you're higher
Wiggle 'til you vomit fire
Wiggle 'til it whispers, wiggle 'til it hums
Wiggle 'til it answers, wiggle 'til it comes

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like satin and silk
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a pail of milk
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, rattle and shake
Wiggle like a big fat snake
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks Chris,

Glad to be one of "the guys" now. But don't think that is what you will be getting from me in the future. Yes I have found out, in my old age, that I have many layers that I did not know about and some of them are now coming to the surface. That scares me a little.

So the Dylan CAN write simple songs. Now I have more respect for him. Only song I like by Dylan and I don't know the name. I know a few words. Something about taking a star from his chest, he doesn't need it anymore. I like that song, if I only knew the name. HAHA!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 am

Girl4Beats wrote:Thanks Chris,

Glad to be one of "the guys" now. But don't think that is what you will be getting from me in the future. Yes I have found out, in my old age, that I have many layers that I did not know about and some of them are now coming to the surface. That scares me a little.

So the Dylan CAN write simple songs. Now I have more respect for him. Only song I like by Dylan and I don't know the name. I know a few words. Something about taking a star from his chest, he doesn't need it anymore. I like that song, if I only knew the name. HAHA!!

Ohh you should be giving Dylan a try -being the rockn roll animal you are. He s done some crazy good rockn roll albums. just like Macca many people who are not familiar with Dylan judge him from just a few records. And the man has made more than 50
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:59 am

Girl4Beats wrote:Thanks Chris,

Sounds like "Knockin On Heaven's Door", one of great unfinished songs. He'll do that sometimes, just come up with a great idea that would make an epic song, and then reduce it to a 2 minute knock off song that's left for someone else to make the great song out of. He's done lots of those.

Macca is God, but Dylan's the man....
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark to see
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door.
Here it is - written for the soundtrack to the movie Pat Garret and billy the kid-that s why the lyrics are so short. It s a true classic and exists in loads of cover versions. Guns and roses a famous one. Remember they did live and let die as well
Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can't shoot them anymore.
That long black cloud is comin' down
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door.