NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby mhnso » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:59 am

"On My Way To Work"
If one -like Laz thinks that the green bus is the only picture painted in these lyrics I find it hard to understand. I see a lot of images here - truly. Whether one likes it or not is another thing
On my way to work
I rode a green bus
I could see everything
From the upper deck

People came and went
Smoking cigarettes
I picked the packets up
When the people left

But all the time I thought of you
How far away the future seemed
How could I so many dreams?
And one of them not come true

On my way to work
I bought a magasine
Inside a pretty girl
Who liked to water-ski

She came from Chichester
To study history
She had removed her clothes
For the likes of me

How would you know that I was there
How could I soul-search everywhere
Without knowing what to do

On my way to work
As I was clocking in
I could see everything
How it came to be

People come and go
Smoking cigarettes
I pick the packets up
When the people leave

But all the time I think of you
How far away the future seems
How could I have so many dreams
And one of them not come true

On my way to work

How would you know that I was there
How could I soul search everywhere
Without knowing what to do

On my way to work [x2
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 am

mhnso, I think the lyrics to "On My Way To Work" are pretty damn good, and your posting of them makes the point. It has just enough imagery to go along with what I think is really the story of a young man trying to figure it all out...and how, really, in the end, we continue to try and figure it all out. A theme Paul has returned to time and time again in his songwriting:

In years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me

What's the use of worrying/what's the use of hurrying/what the use of anything?

Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow/Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow/Through the week we beg and steal and borrow/Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow

Dragonfly fly by my window/You and I can find a way to see/Dragonfly, the years ahead will show/how little we really know

What do we know about Lord knows/What do we know/we know that birdies fly/we know that babies cry/we know that we'll get by/but what do we really know?

I always viewed this basic philosophy of his as a nice counterbalance to both John's and George's pronouncements and preachings on telling us what to do and how to think.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Hello Everyone,

G4 here. I have FINALLY listened to NEW. I only have the PINK album but I really like this one. Okay. In another thread, it was talking of lyrics, I don't really listen to the lyrics. Yes they are important but I like the song for the way it is sung and the music. That being said, I found "Appreciate", "Everybody Out There" and "Road" to be my faves on this album.

The entire album sort of reminded me of "Flaming Pie" and a few others. Just teeny tiny glimpses of the album. But I totally enjoyed listening to this one. I sat outside with my CD player, my headphones, my drink and just sat there listening to the whole album and found I really liked it.

I think, for those who know me, the reason I don't care for Chaos and Memory (even though the majority of you do) is because I found most of the song depressing, TO ME, and because he was going through some things with "She Who Must Not Be Named" and the songs sounded depressing to me. Of course, that is only my opinion, but nonetheless, the songs sounded depressing.

These songs didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed this album and I will give it another listen. I did hear two of the bonus tracks from the BLUE album though and I did like those too. But those three songs mentioned above, I think, will be my faves on this album.

I said I would give a listen and I finally did. Thanks for pushing, Mr. H and Chris and others.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I have a feeling you'll be going back more and more to this album, Girl4. I know I have. Haven't gotten sick of it, nor have I been turned off by any songs, yet. In fact, some songs that I didn't like at first ("Hosanna," "Road," "On My Way To Work") I am growing more and more fond of. The only song that has kind of remained static, in a "mehh" way, is "Save Me." It's a nice opener. Energetic. Decent rocker. But, it might be one of the weakest tracks on the album.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed the album. It was uplifting and I enjoyed the music a lot.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 pm

G4...we knew you'd come around. lots of different opinions on his music...even here. but there aren't too many detractors with NEW. and mattal is right. with each listen, you'll find new and different things. this album is an adventure.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Chris,

At least I like it better than Chaos and Memory. HAHAHA!! It soothes the rock and roll animal in me.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm

I like New more than most any album over the last years. The more i listen to this album the more convinced am I that Macca has created a real masterwork of pop music. In fact -after listening a lot I haven t find anything about it that I don t like. And the stuff that from the start left me a bit cold I really like now - in some cases like Hosannah has grown to real favorites. And the songs I really like from the start I still enjoy. New is far better than I ever expected Macca to manage at this stage of the career, I am really happy when a long time favorite artist deliver something like this. Brilliant.
Besides the song New -I have liked it from the start but within the context of the album even more so-stucked between the rootsy brilliance of Early Days and psychedelic groovefiest of Appreciate. Those three songs in that sequencing order is as close to the brilliance of the Beatles White album we can get.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:33 pm

EARLY DAYS. Imagery. Painting pictures. Yes he can!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:09 pm

You're right, Mhnso, this one just keeps getting better. And the song "New" hasn't suffered from the usual fatigue that a pre-album release usually gives me; still love to hear it. It's really impressive that Paul has managed this late-career renaissance.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions