Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Maccas lyrics are underrated.

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 am

Garrystanton, I would agree with a lot of what you say, however...CHAOS? Some of his better lyrics can be found on that album: "At The Mercy," "Friends To Go," "Riding To Vanity Fair," "Follow Me."
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 am

Mattal- ok, but I do find English Tea annoying and a bit lightweight lyrically speaking!
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mr h atom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 am

i LOVE this quote .." Many songwriters will toil for decades and not have a sniff of the melodic (and sometimes lyrical) genius of Sir Macca."

no truer words, GS...no truer words....

hhhmmmmmmmm...wonder who that might fit well......
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby bravefan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 am

Nobody touches Macca for his melodic abilities...nobody. Lennon, not even close. NOBODY!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 am

Mmm, Mr H...no idea who you're referring to. Who? :roll:
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am

Might be worth remembering a quote from Bob Dylan that I think was only made a year or two ago, when he was asked who he looks up to in the music industry, his reply - "McCartney, he's the only one. I'm in awe of him."

You don't need any other praise once His Bobness has said that about you.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am

oobujoobu1971 wrote:Might be worth remembering a quote from Bob Dylan that I think was only made a year or two ago, when he was asked who he looks up to in the music industry, his reply - "McCartney, he's the only one. I'm in awe of him."

You don't need any other praise once His Bobness has said that about you.

Its true Dylan said that. Can t believe he didn t mention Lazarus. Unfair.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby boney1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm

I once read that Dylan writes the lyrics first and than composes the music.
Macca does it, mostly, the other way 'round I think.
Does Dylan has instrumental songs? ?? Maybe you know- mshno- as a true Dylan expert.

This lyric item is an interesting one from an other point of view.
Macca is popular all over the world, not only in English speaking countries.
I think that the french, german, russian, japanese, swedish, chinese, spanish, dutch- etc speaking people for example
not always quite understand what the (english) lyrics are all about...although the learned the english language at school.

Thats why the lyrics "You say "Yes", I say "No" You say "Stop" and I say "Go, go, go".
Oh no.You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello". ( just joking a bit ) could be understood
in ALL countries......by all people, including who do hardly understand english.
He has a lot of songs like that and so I said, they love it in a lot of countries. Singalong junk ehh songs.
Macca is smart..no-one should underestimate him nor his lyrics.

For me its his melody, the bridges, the -song in song- his voice and than the lyrics.
As he sings "its a tug of war...' that first line, the way he sings it I Know the rest is ok...
Ok, the lyrics must have hand and feet and go phonetic well with the music.
But he does make very good lyrics too, and does it again on New.

I finish with a quote of John Lennon in regard to "How do you sleep"and it fits in this topic I think.

"I heard Paul's messages in Ram - yes there are dear reader! Too many people going where? Missed our lucky what? What was our first mistake? Can't be wrong? Huh! I mean Yoko, me, and other friends can't all be hearing things. So to have some fun, I must thank Allen Klein publicly for the line 'just another day'. A real poet! Some people don't see the funny side of it. Too bad. What am I supposed to do, make you laugh? It's what you might call an 'angry letter', sung - get it?"

John Lennon
Crawdaddy magazine

B.
looking through the backyard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away
boney1

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

I love Dylan. I mean I go beyond the average person who likes Dylan. Not as much as Mhnso, but I'm a big fan. I know he's a great songwriter and he seems to be the bellwether of lyric writing. But hardly anyone ever refers to Dylan's work from the early seventies all the way up to the mid eighties. That's a long time. You know why nobody talks about it? Cause it isn't very good...
Now, remember I love Dylan, but I can admit that I simply don't listen to anything from this abysmal period. The reason I bring this up is this: There really isn't an extended period of time (like Dylan's lost fifteen years) where you can say Macca's been irrelevant; he's had a dud or two in his career (who hasn't?), but overall he's been amazingly consistent throughout his career. Sure you can criticize a song here or there for lazy writing or whatever, but there's always the melodies that are vital to any good song. Dylan understands this apparently. In his "autobiography", he made mention of "Do You Want To Know A Secret" (I know, written by John). He explained that the Beatles could make a relatively weak song sound like a great one. Paul has this ability. On Paul's Electric Arguments he uses the words like an impressionist painter uses paint; not being concise has advantages here. An article I read recently suggested that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" changed the world. It said the song was primarily a hit record and makes less sense when considered as a song. So much of it's melody is disguised harmony that singing it without chordal support would be comical. What it does have apart from power and originality is an instinct for dynamic contrast and a brilliant grasp of construction (Dylan himself is fascinated by the Beatles unorthodox chords and harmonies). Sounds a bit like our kid today, doesn't it?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 pm

magnus...another great post and thread. I agree with almost every word. paul can be lazy, lyrically. but he is also woefully misunderstood. he comes off as wandering, or confusing, when he writes metaphors only, maybe...really "gotten" by those in his inner circle. but for every lazy lyric there are five that are well thought out by him. as mentioned before me...Dylan loves the way paul writes. and while we may not always know what paul is writing about...another great lyricist, lennon, always seemed to "get" paul.

and let's be honest...you can't have lazy without laz. :wink:

the only part I may disagree with, big M...is you compared brian Wilson (whom i both love and respect) to paul when it comes to melody. his harmonies...yes. but his melodies are without peer. and while paul may never be cool...or "in"...his critics and peers are now realizing he does something with such extraordinary skill...that at his advanced age...we are not likely to see something quite like that again.

and once again. brother H...you are right on. life is short. there so much great music out there to choose from in the musical buffet. taste and sample everything. there is always a tasty morsel of blues over here...or punk over there. sometimes even just the gruff spoken word (tom waits, anyone?) can be fun. but it's the contrast in styles that make you love what you keep coming back to.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions