NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:50 pm

mhnso wrote:
mr h atom wrote::shock: ... :lol:

there ya go...manglin' the lingo again, M...

i know you meant your taste is like a posterior :-D :wink:

Hmmmm...dunno what I mean really-guess that if I was under torture could be forced to say that PTP is a great album. Biggest torture I experienced so far is actually having to listen to that particular album

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Most McCartney albums, cassettes and CD's I have seen at garage sales? P2P. By far.
I also find some so-called wall art to be hideous. :-??
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:30 am

Save Us 6.5-7: it's okay I suppose.
Alligator 9/10: very good. But lyrics like 'someone finding a key, someone setting em free'
on my way to work 9: very good. Once again lyrics fail him. 'I rode a big green bus' oh well
queenie eye 8. 5/10: good. Seeing and hearing the chorus for this, first time, you may think he's lost his mind. But it grows on you. He never returns to the first verses structure. But it doesn't really matter.
early days 9/10: feels mull of kintyre-ish toward the end in the best way, but the structure of the song feels like something somebody else other than paul may have written, cliched and all.
New 8-8.5/10: Nostalgia song of the record. Its enjoyable at least.
Appreciate 8/10: Somebody I forget who compared this to Gratitude.
what a silly comparison. And good one but maybe my level of enjoyment ranks about on par with Save Us. Maybe a little more.
Everbody out there 6.5/10: Still the worst song here. I don't dislike the music, but the lyrics. Bah. My most disliked lyrics of the album up to this point. So cliched.
Hosanna 9-10/10: Possibly the best song here. Yes, could've been a Beatles track(Paul on his own Beatle). The only bad thing maybe I could level at it would be the one tiny bass riff(slide up) that ive probably heard too often that he does. It doesn't last more than a second though.
I Can Bet 7.5/10: enjoyable at least.
Looking at her 7.5-8/10: very cringe worthy lyrics here that one almost can't help but focus on. :-( music is at the least decent to good.
Road 8-9/10: Fails to climax adequately for an album closer. But I like it quite a lot.

Overall like most of his records of last decade or so achieves a very high mark for music.

Edit: the average puts it at 76/100. But I think it's better than that. Closer to 80-85/100.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 am

Good on you Laz to finally make some notes on the album- and you also seems to like it. Concerning the lyrics I defitively don t agree with you on Alligator. Even less so regarding On My way to work that actually is great storytelling with some real Killer lines. Looking at her actually has interesting lyrics with some real(and for Macca unusual) conflicts within the song. Namely the way she looks and the way the narrator feel about people looking at her. I agree Hosannah is great and imho contains the most melodic basslines on the album
Anyway Laz good that your onback on topic.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

Lazarus, you're overly critical of the lyrics. McCartney isn't Dylan. He's not even Lennon (now people will start attacking me!). But, Paul has gotten a bad rap because of some bad lyrics in the past, and because there is the constant comparison to Lennon with him.

However, overall, kind of agree with your review.

You should have included "Turned Out" and "Get Me Out Of Here" (I know they are bonus trax, but they could easily have been on the album, and for me, they ARE part of the album).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am

Probably am. It doesn't stop me awarding good scores for teh musics most of the time. Hoho.

So 'on my way to work'.
A deeper-ish analysis of the lyrics reveals that it's saying:
The Man is going through the motions and drudgery of his work day in and day out. Mentioning having dreams and wondering why not one ever came true, likely including finding the person/or job of his dreams. Additionally mentioning a girl in a playboy-ish mag and that she had dreams too but they didn't come true so she was forced to do other things. I don't know why he mentions the cigarettes people are smoking and how he's picking up after their messes unless his job involves rubbish collection. The other people smoking cigerretez may mean yhe doing of things that's bad for them and their souls but being addicted or not having the will to stop killing themselves and finally change for the better.
Maybe...

I still don't like much having to extrapolate so much to find meaning in these lyrics. Oh well.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:Probably am. It doesn't stop me awarding good scores for teh musics most of the time. Hoho.

So 'on my way to work'.
A deeper-ish analysis of the lyrics reveals that it's saying:
The Man is going through the motions and drudgery of his work day in and day out. Mentioning having dreams and wondering why not one ever came true, likely including finding the person/or job of his dreams. Additionally mentioning a girl in a playboy-ish mag and that she had dreams too but they didn't come true so she was forced to do other things. I don't know why he mentions the cigarettes people are smoking and how he's picking up after their messes unless his job involves rubbish collection. The other people smoking cigerretez may mean yhe doing of things that's bad for them and their souls but being addicted or not having the will to stop killing themselves and finally change for the better.
Maybe...

I still don't like much having to extrapolate so much to find meaning in these lyrics. Oh well.

Why must there be a meaning in lyrics. The meaning is in the ears of the listener. but honestly On my way to work is very easy to understand. It deals with teenage Macca on his way to his only daytime work. On the way he s observing people and the old Macca also thinks about why not all his dreams were fulfilled. That song is loaded with pictures -just like Penny Lane.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

I disagree that it is loaded with pictures.
Maybe if you count the phrase 'i could see everything how it came to be' as having every picture and image ever taken then it would be consider loaded with pictures. But this is such a huge stretch nobody would claim that.

In penny lane lane there are bankers wearing raincoats i the puring rain, barbers shaving customers, women selling poppys from trays, blue suburban skies, these are just the ones i can recall.
On My Way To Work has a Big Green Bus, that's about it.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:18 pm

i can't believe it...but...i agree with laz...

to me, this one is still quite overrated...nowhere near as good at drawing the pictures necessary to illustrate the thoughts and meanings...it's just a minor rambling trifle amidst a glowing sea of robust and complete imageries, imho...

on most of the rest of your summations...hmmm...you're not really too far off, here and there, from what alot have said...can't say i agree with it all, but, to each his own.

i'd point out that while matts is right in saying that paul is not dylan/lennon...such thoughts are often mistaken by those of weaker minds for a more cynical he is 'no dylan/lennon'....which, to me, is to knock at the very basic idea that each and every artist must and should speak with their own, unique voice...not necessarily a similar...or even exact same voice...as another just as accomplished artist...

i might expect mccartney to affect a dylan/lennonesque tone once in a while...but i expect him to always be 100% paul while doing it

paul style of writing is as uniquely his own...just as , say stephen kings is different than peter straub...or tom clancy from john lecarre...

thus comparisons to other writers does not always solve the 'is that person a good writer' conundrum
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

You're right Mr. H. Each artist brings his own unique vision to the table and it's up to the listener to interpret. There are lots of wonderful songwriters, but there's only one Paul McCartney. Just as there's only one Dylan, one Paul Simon etc...they're all individuals with great and differing talents. Also each listener is unique as well. One individual might criticize a particular lyric for not making sense or being good enough, while at the same time another listener might think that particular lyric says just the right thing. Which leads us back to the old idea- art is subjective. As for "On My Way To Work", when I first heard it I thought it was pretty good and then I started to feel ho-hum about it. After not listening to the album for a while, I went back to it only to find that "On My Way To Work" has become a favorite; I truly love it now...go figure, eh? :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm

:-BD

agree 100%

look...i don't in any way dislike OMWTW...it is, right now (for whatever reason), the only song that just hasn't reached out and smacked me silly like a drunken clown at a nudist camp...

that said...every song off this album has changed, morphed and affected me over its' short existance in my life...i fully expect that one'll sneak up and give a big ol' sloppy one of these days

for me...lately..the sneaky ones have been 'hosanna' and 'everybody out there'... which each keep getting better and better w/ea. visit to the New ranch
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions