Why so many Macca haters?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 am

I don't think it's envious to expect people with the resources and talent to use what they've been given and not squander it playing the same way at live shows all over the world instead of actually using their time to create?

And yes on these boards I can sound a little combative and argument spurring, and seem to have two opposing opinions fighting in the same post, but that has nothing to do with ones songwriting abilities. You can be good at writing articles but bad at writing books. You can be good at writing plays but not at musicals. Etc. There is not just one way to be good or bad at writing.

If I seem to disagree a lot and spur retorts it's not only because I partially or fully believe what I'm saying and not because they're nessecarily right or wrong assumptions and opinions, I acknowledge I could be wrong, BUT I also do so because spurring argument and discussion through differing opinions is far more interesting than us all agreeing or even mostly agreejng.
Conflict is interesting. Happy happy joy joy yes-man-ing is not interesting. I figure if I'm going to post I'd best have an opinion of my own that might be worth sharing and shake tings up or cause discussion.

I'm not angry with any of you for having the opinions and opinions of me that you do. Lost my train of thought.
I appreciate the responses though.

Adding: tbe the 'you havemt done this so your opinikn isnt valid?' that is not a good argument for why im not or could be on a McCartney level of songwriting or better given adequate resources.

I've taken to posting audio of my composed tunes on youtube recently. This will continue hopefully. In the past ive barely put any music to the 1000's of individual song lyrics ive written.

But anyway.
Sorry if I come off looking a certain way, ego-mad or other, this is not intentional. And only represents a part of my personality. Other words that describe my personality include: humble, quiet, opinionated, optimist, pessimist, creative, llazy, lacking drive, loving, and manh other conflicting words. I seem to be harder to box into one category than most.

Ranting sorry.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:10 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:I don't think it's envious to expect people with the resources and talent to use what they've been given and not squander it playing the same way at live shows all over the world instead of actually using their time to create?

And yes on these boards I can sound a little combative and argument spurring, and seem to have two opposing opinions fighting in the same post, but that has nothing to do with ones songwriting abilities. You can be good at writing articles but bad at writing books. You can be good at writing plays but not at musicals. Etc. There is not just one way to be good or bad at writing.

If I seem to disagree a lot and spur retorts it's not only because I partially or fully believe what I'm saying and not because they're nessecarily right or wrong assumptions and opinions, I acknowledge I could be wrong, BUT I also do so because spurring argument and discussion through differing opinions is far more interesting than us all agreeing or even mostly agreejng.
Conflict is interesting. Happy happy joy joy yes-man-ing is not interesting. I figure if I'm going to post I'd best have an opinion of my own that might be worth sharing and shake tings up or cause discussion.

I'm not angry with any of you for having the opinions and opinions of me that you do. Lost my train of thought.
I appreciate the responses though.

Adding: tbe the 'you havemt done this so your opinikn isnt valid?' that is not a good argument for why im not or could be on a McCartney level of songwriting or better given adequate resources.


In our lifetime no other songwriter has come close to being as prolific as McCartney. He has absolutely made the most of his talent. He could have stopped after The Beatles but he didn't. He could stop any time but he won't. Most artists don't have it in them to accomplish what he has done in his career. Frankly I don't care if you like him or not but whether or not you choose to admit it you seem filled with envy and that is no way to become a success. If you think you are good you actually need to prove it. Not to any of us, but to yourself first. If you want to use "I don't have the resources" as your excuse you will get nowhere. Instead of criticizing why not put your energy into getting better? Maybe if you worked at it you might get somewhere! To say "I could be as good or better than Paul McCartney if only I had his talent or luck or resources" is meaningless. If all you all looking to do is stir things up just to create conflict, well that is kinda pitiful.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
User avatar
ComeOnBrotha
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:08 pm
Location: Birmingham, MI

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:37 am

I've already proven it to myself. I can extrapolate from what I've done and where I am to where and what I could be in the future. If only time, resources, drive, would allow.
It's an opinion of my own and I don't expect anyone to like it.
It may seem I'm envious and I am but not in the way you'd think. Who wouldn't want to have infinite resources to aid them in the creation of musical works?
Unless it's terribly easy I have no intention nor drive of practicing forever to be a professional musician.
I'll work with what i have through noodling on instruments from time to time and create that way. I won't play the game McCartney did to reach worldwide adulation. I will play my own game. Even if it means it taking decades longer before I get my real start/launch, I will play my own game. Nothing to prove.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 am

Asked a girl what she wanted to be, she said baby can't t you see, i wanna be famous, a star of the screen, but you can do something in between.
Baby you can drive my car, yes I'm gonna be a star,
baby you can drive my car and maybe I'll love you.

Contrast to:
i can try to give you everything you ever wanted.
Youre not hard to please.
And the only thing im asking in return is something
you can give with ease.
Keep on sending your love.
Cause in the heat of battle youve got something thatll
save us. Save us now.

OR:
1-2-3-4-5 LETS GO for a drive, 6789 10,
lets go there and back again.
Somethings open, its my heart,
somethings missing its when we're apart,
somethings good its when we're back together again.

----
hmmm.
Why is it that when he left the Beatles all the wit double-meanings and solid songwriting turned into the above solo songwriting.

He didnt care anymore. Nothing left to prove to anyone nor himself. This comparison of a small sample is a good example of Beatle Paul songwriting(at the least good and at best great) to Solo Paul songwriting.
There are a lot of people that dont think he deserve songwriting adulation because of this, his solo songwriting
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby mhnso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 am

Lazarus
Thing is - this site deal with the music of McCartney -not your music. Whatever talent you may have - it s up to you to prove. But this is not the place to do it. And honestly - for an aspiring songwriter Macca is not a realistic matk to compare with sine he is one of the alltime greatest in that very field. I don t claim this as an opnion it s a fact. Just like Mozarts, Elvis or Lous Armstrongs talent and contributions are beyond discussion.
With that said I have through the years enjoyed many of your postings because you look at things in different way...but stick to the topic that is music and life concerning Macca not music and life concerning Lazarus.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:05 am
Location: sweden

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby mhnso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:42 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:Asked a girl what she wanted to be, she said baby can't t you see, i wanna be famous, a star of the screen, but you can do something in between.
Baby you can drive my car, yes I'm gonna be a star,
baby you can drive my car and maybe I'll love you.

Contrast to:
i can try to give you everything you ever wanted.
Youre not hard to please.
And the only thing im asking in return is something
you can give with ease.
Keep on sending your love.
Cause in the heat of battle youve got something thatll
save us. Save us now.

OR:
1-2-3-4-5 LETS GO for a drive, 6789 10,
lets go there and back again.
Somethings open, its my heart,
somethings missing its when we're apart,
somethings good its when we're back together again.

----
hmmm.
Why is it that when he left the Beatles all the wit double-meanings and solid songwriting turned into the above solo songwriting.

He didnt care anymore. Nothing left to prove to anyone nor himself. This comparison of a small sample is a good example of Beatle Paul songwriting(at the least good and at best great) to Solo Paul songwriting.
There are a lot of people that dont think he deserve songwriting adulation because of this, his solo songwriting


Pauls has written some of the best songs ever written after the Beatles split up. You can t judge a song by only reading the lyrics- it s the way they fit with the music and mood that counts. And to judge Paul the lyricist by quiting Driving Rain is not a fair argumentation. Vanity Fair, Alligator, Little Willow, Looking at her, Early Days, To much Rain, At the mercy and on and on. All great songs with good to great words.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:05 am
Location: sweden

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 am

This is where we disagree. The lyrics must have a semblance of meaning with good wordplay etc, and also go with the music. But words simply going with the music does not make a great songwriter nor song. Otherwise Mumbo would be considered an a time classic rock song.

Edit: ill try to refrain from talking about my own stuff as it appears to many as ego driven and irks them a lot.
Ill focus on teh musics.

On a side note, is there a thread already where people list their top ten Paul song personal list?
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby mhnso » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:07 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:This is where we disagree. The lyrics must have a semblance of meaning with good wordplay etc, and also go with the music. But words simply going with the music does not make a great songwriter nor song. Otherwise Mumbo would be considered an a time classic rock song.

Edit: ill try to refrain from talking about my own stuff as it appears to many as ego driven and irks them a lot.
Ill focus on teh musics.

On a side note, is there a thread already where people list their top ten Paul song personal list?

What I was saying was that Driving Rain is not a fair example of describing Macca as a lyricist neither is Mumbo. Tutty Fruity and Be bop a lula are two classic rocksongs with lyrics that might not be considered great . So I think your arguments lack some validity- honestly. Maybe Im amazed has great lyrics just like more recently On My way to work or Early days. Anyway it s up to the listener. And for me it s beyond belief claiming that postbeatles Macca has not been a great songwriter. Certanely better than most -perhaps even your efforts
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:05 am
Location: sweden

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:23 am

To cherry pick bad lyrics by Paul as a solo artist (and to be honest, there are plenty of them to choose from) isn't playing fair.

He's written quite a few songs with excellent lyrics. Some with great lyrics. Just off the top of my head, "Tomorrow."

"Dear Boy"

"Single Pigeon"

"Mamunia"

"San Ferry Anne"

"Don't Let It Bring You Down"

"Tug Of War"

"Wanderlust"

"Here Today"

"No Values"

"Put It There"

"Little Willow"

"Magic"

"Riding To Vanity Fair"

"Follow Me"

"That Was Me"

"Lifelong Passion"

"Early Days"

Again, just songs that popped into my head, going chronoligcally from early solo to now.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Re: Why so many Macca haters?

Postby chris » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 am

Okay...I was hoping it wouldn't come down to this...but it has. Sigh...

This is a personal note between me and Laz. I've known you for a long time. Years...in fact. We both know we haven't always agreed. But i've always treated you respectfully. You can go back and read the posts of this very thread for proof. But I fear the time has come for this to end. You have become a one note poster that continues to beat...over and over...the one and only thought you seem to entertain. I am officially washing my hands of this thread and you, laz. You've become stale...redundant...and boring. it's as if the only reason you come here to post is to look for attention. And I've decided to stop playing this game.

If you want to reach out to me to have a civil discussion...I'll listen. But until then...consider this my final word.

Signing off...
Last edited by chris on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
User avatar
chris
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Chicago, U.S.A

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest