NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby JimQ » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:42 am

I'm in that little sad lull now - the excitement of getting a new album is over and it will be years before we hear another peep from him. And in that 3 - 6 years I suppose his voice will probably suffer a bit so maybe this might be the last truly great macca album. We'll see. In fairness he's not an album machine, he's allowed to have a life! I suppose I feel he's never had such a run of strong albums before - apart from a shaky "getting back into gear" with driving rain he hasn't had an in-epic album since 1993. That's pretty amazing.

I was hoping for a raft of B-sides à la CACITB but I think it was wishful thinking... Or a nice interview where he explains ALL the songs, like a lot of his interviews for both CACITB AND MAF..... Anyway he's given us what I think is the most exciting album of his career so I need to shut up and be thankful!
JimQ

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 am

well, I think we'll hear from Paul quite a lot within the next 3-6 years. Perhaps not a "new" album (pardon the pun), but maybe another FIREMAN project (and ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS was, to me, a great Paul solo album)...definitely more re-mastered releases from his catalogue (I'm eagerly awaiting RRS, LT, BTTE, FP, and a few others)...there are supposedly many tracks from the NEW sessions left over, and Paul hinted they may be coming out in some shape or form...and, of course, the possibility of him working with other artists...not to mention touring...I can't see him stopping that. Perhaps slowing down a bit, but putting an end to it?

Oh, and he did toss around the idea of putting out an album of pure rock and roll after talking with David Grohl (whether that means another covers album, all original songs, or a combo of both I don't know) a year or two ago, when he released "It's So Easy" for the Buddy Holly tribute CD.

I don't see Paul going into seclusion anytime soon. I just hope his health holds up!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm

i've found, JQ, that...in this 'lull'...i'm meandering around some of the older albums...catching up with old friends, near forgotten...

and being reminded about how good...and even great so many of them are

dearest laz's fondest beliefs aside...there be bright gold and deep treasures abundant hereabouts
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Matt,

Did you say a pure rock and roll album. I'm there!! This I would love to hear. I really loved the Russian Album and yes, Mr. H, even Run Devil Run (after you brow beat me into giving it another listen). LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 pm

the Grohl thing is, maybe, the infamous, oft-mentioned guitar album...no ?
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Girl4, to amend it slightly, Mr. H might be right-- a guitar album...but, to me that means rock and roll, no?

I love the Russian Album. Got it as a bootleg vinyl album THEN as a boot CD well before it was "officially" released. My immediate reaction after hearing it was, THIS is what Lennon should have done when he did ROCK AND ROLL!

RUN DEVIL RUN is one of my favorites of Paul's. Top 10 album, easily. It might be a tad too "produced" (compared to the very loose, bare bones RUSSIAN ALBUM), but that's a minor quibble. The title track and "What It Is" are among my favorite original rockers of his.

Just an aside on Lennon's ROCK AND ROLL: I wish there were a treasure trove of "oldies" from his JL/POB sessions on the order of "Honey Don't" and "Matchbox." Those bootlegs are fantastic! Just John on vocals and guitar, Ringo on drums, Klaus Voorman on bass...and that's IT. I could listen to him run through the entire Chuck Berry songbook with that lineup...and that POB production style, with the echo and the sneer in his voice. Classic stuff!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Oh yeah, Mattal an album of Chuck Berry covers by that POB line up would have been fantastic.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions