NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby chris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Matall...I can't wait till you get it. Please let me know what you think about it's sound. It's funny...I've never really considered myself an audiophile, however, after enjoying the improved sound of the import...the compressed sound of the mp3 file is now unlistenable to me. although I saved it at a higher bit rate when I ripped it. Do you listen thru your stereo? if so...do you listen thru speakers or do you use a decent set of headphones? Either way...prepare to have your mind blown.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Chris, I listen via speakers, and also thru headphones.

I certainly will give a "review" after listening to it when I receive it.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 pm

It arrived today. My wife emailed me at work and said, "don't you HAVE NEW already?" I had to explain! (She's a huge Beatles and Macca fan, as well...but a bit more critical of the solo work for all of them-- we have our disagreements!).

It's not an SACD, I don't think. It's something called an SHM-CD. I guess it's the material it's made from, or something.

I will listen to it soon...want to give it a headphones AND a speaker treatment. The problem is, all this great music came at once! BEATLES BBC Vol II, the remastered first BBC set...still listening to the new Elton...etc.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Awesoman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm

chris wrote:Matall...I can't wait till you get it. Please let me know what you think about it's sound. It's funny...I've never really considered myself an audiophile, however, after enjoying the improved sound of the import...the compressed sound of the mp3 file is now unlistenable to me. although I saved it at a higher bit rate when I ripped it. Do you listen thru your stereo? if so...do you listen thru speakers or do you use a decent set of headphones? Either way...prepare to have your mind blown.

Couple suggestions:

Lossless is the way to go. I have a 160 gig iPod and am able to store plenty of music that fares little to no compression. And if you're looking for a little more fidelity, check out www.hdtracks.com. Lots of hi-res, 24-bit audio, including Macca's new album (http://www.hdtracks.com/new-deluxe-edition). Of course, hi-res audio is a little trickier to get playing on a portable music player without having to sacrifice the quality at least somewhat unless it's 48/24 or less.
Awesoman

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

8-} I just got a normal cd... :oops:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks, awes...I think i'm going to re-rip my cd's at the highest possible rate (WAV lossless...I think) just for my laptop. And use that (with an amp, natch) for my listening pleasures at home. I'll just have to live with some slight compression while out and about with my (32 gig) phone. Did you say you had 160 gigs? Jeesh, man...that's a ton

But you're right...you can get better than CD quality sound out there if you're willing to investigate a bit. the link you provided seems like a good one to start. and since cd's seem to be disappearing (or will in a few years)...I suppose i'd better get used to buying hi-res downloads. I just haven't actually gotten around to doing it yet. I do appreciate you offering some words of advice. when I usually talk bit rates to most people..i get a blank stare.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:43 am

Of course it s nice with a good sound -but frankly those things doesn t bother me much anymore. I have a high quality - but compact hifi system . Can t stand these big speakers in the home anymore. Mostly i listen in my car -often through my I-phone. Some audophiles claims "bad sound l´kills music". That might be true but I sometimes find that to much obsession with sound also kills music.
Anyway - I am definitively sure that the japanese cd has a warmer sound than the regular with instruments more separated. Some people claim this is not true but personally I trust my ears more than the soundwawes some sound affectionades look at -yes they LOOK at to find out differences in sound
But simple the sound is no reason to send for the japanese edition of New. the reason is-if one like me-has the soul of a completist and want eveything on the same cd -including Struggle. These thing could also be arranged without buying the japanese but since the price wasn t all that bad it seemed OK
Anyway New is a great album-I stick to my first opinion-defintively one of Pauls best. Remarkable.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Chris, if you use iTunes then I would definitely recommend Apple Lossless (ALAC) rather than WAV. Not only does ALAC give you much more tagging options than WAV, but it will be a smaller file size, whilst still being lossless. Maybe 20% smaller on newer music and sometimes up to 60% smaller on older music (but STILL lossless!).
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby chris » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:57 pm

thanks, oobs. would I get flogged for admitting I don't have an iTunes account...or an iphone? i'm just a droid guy relatively happy with his windows media player. my immediate concern is just ripping (or re-ripping) his 500 or so cds onto his pc. when i'm home...I don't mind being tethered to my pc or laptop with my senn hd600's. so...hard drive space isn't an big thing for now. and I don't want to have to repurchase anything I have that is already in good sounding shape.

I should start another thread about this. sorry, NEWbees to hijack your playground.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 am

I don't have an iPhone either, Chris but no iTunes? ........where's my cat o' nine tails?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions