Beatles Live at the BBC Vol. 2

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: Beatles Live at the BBC Vol. 2

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:46 pm

I liked BBC first album. I like the songs on the second one and I bet I will be getting me a copy.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes, James1985...not quite like anticipating, say, the WHITE ALBUM in 1968 or ABBEY ROAD in '69, but it's all we have since 1970.

My first Beatles album was MEET THE BEATLES, when it came out in 1964. I was 6 years old. I just had to have it. I saw them on the Ed Sullivan Show, and asked my parents to get it. They did. I had my Mom play it and play it and play it. But, being 6, I eventually lost interest, and for years, never really got back into music...until it was too late.

My NEXT Beatles album was MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR. In 1970. Yup. Too late. Beatles disbanded. But I was only getting started with them. The next batch-- all at once-- were (and these were the American vinyl releases, of course) REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER, and THE EARLY BEATLES. I don't know why I picked those three. I just did. And played them till they were just two sides of cracks, pops, and scratches.

After that, the rest is history. Got everything. Beatles and solo. Re-bought everything for 8-track, then CD (skipped audio tape-- made my own instead of buying pre-recorded ones), then remastered CD, etc etc etc. So, I don't really feel guilty "stealing" rare tracks from YOUTUBE and putting them in my library. I think I did my share making them all kazillionaires.

Anyway, looking forward to my copy of BBC Vol II in the mail next week. Also bought the re-mastered BBC Vol I, which should come in around the same time. Hopefully, the remastered one will improve the sound quality on that first set.
Last edited by Mattal1958 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Mattal, I'll be getting the remastered vol. 1 and vol. 2 as well. I'm always excited about a new Beatles album, even if it's 50 years old!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:40 pm

I was 11 when Meet the Beatles came out. I stole it from my older sister who stole it from one of her boyfriends. I think she stole it for me since she is and was a BIG Elvis fan. So that was my first Beatles album. My best friend and I would stand outside at lunch time, in the snow and freezing weather talking to our teacher, Sister Mary whoever. She talked about George and I talked about Paul. She could care less about either one but she "acted" as if she was interested. I liked that nun.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jmonti476 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 pm

I got the Vol 2 this evening its really nice the songs are not all as clear as on the first BBC cds but its laid out in the same type of format and is very pleasant to listen too!
jmonti476

Postby james1985 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 pm

The packaging is great – lovely book
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:47 pm

for those of you who have purchased the remastered vol 1...i'm curious...is it worth it to get it again? is it significantly better? I loved the first edition. but i'm hesitant.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 am

Chris, I'll let you know, soon...I purchased both, and supposedly I'm getting them today. But, I may not get to the first release for a little bit...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Listened to the entire two CD set today, and it is a nice addition to the first BBC release nearly 20 years ago. Aside from the amusing banter between tracks among the Fabs and whoever the DJ is at the time, there are some nice musical moments, as well. "Do You Want To Know A Secret?" might be BETTER than the one on PPM.
"Misery" is quite good. "Chains" is great! "Ask Me Why," and "P.S. I Love You" are almost identical to the studio versions (granted, PPM was recorded nearly as quickly as these BBC performances were).

"Sure To Fall" is superior to the first BBC version, and has a very loose, very country-ish vibe to it.
"I'll Get You" and "She Loves You" are well executed, as is "From Me To You," "Money" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand."
"This Boy" is outstanding, as is "Honey Don't" as is "I'll Follow The Sun."

This set also includes extended interviews with all four Beatles-- Disc One featuring John and George right after RUBBER SOUL, and Disc Two featuring Paul and Ringo as they were recording REVOLVER.

A lot of song titles are duplicated from the first BBC release, but they are all different performances than the first batch.

Sound quality varies, but it's pretty good, considering it was 1963-64, being recorded for BBC AM monaural radio.

The nearly 50 page booklet is great, much like the one in the first set. Many terrific photos, as well.

I've also purchased (because I'm nuts) the remastered original set, which I haven't played yet, but which I did some sampling back and forth on. Of the songs I sampled, it's evident the remastering has enhanced the quality...not dramatically so (from what I've heard so far), but definitely a bit.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am

I'll second everything Mattal said about Vol. 2. I'll add that "Devil in Her Heart" is a great performance; very well done as is "Please Mister Postman", the drop dead "Words of Love", "I'm Talking About You" (although the sound quality is not so great), "I'll Get You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Wow!), "If I Fell" (double Wow!), "I'll Follow the Sun" (triple Wow!), "You Can't Do That", "And I Love Her" and "I Feel Fine"- all these are the standouts to me, along with the ones Mattal mentioned. But of course they're all good and fun to listen to. Also the songs recorded for the program Top Gear seem to be of superior quality compared to the other programs. The booklet makes mention that Top Gear's producer was keen to get the sessions to a higher standard and the Beatles went along with that. Also there's a version of "Happy Birthday" the Beatles do for Saturday Club- full band, not just vocals- which is amusing. As for the remaster on Vol. 1, I haven't spent a great deal of time with that yet, but the improvement seems slight to me. If you're currently happy with the '94 release and you don't want to spend the extra money, it's not the end of the world if you don't get it. It's got very nice packaging and the booklet is different, although I haven't read it yet.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums