NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby Awesoman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm not sure what to think of New. I don't really dislike it, but I can't say I've really embraced it either. I'd say I like about half the songs on there. The one tune that really stuck out for me is "I Can Bet" with it's pretty catchy hook. "Save Us" seems like a tuneless throwaway rocker that doesn't really grab me. "Everybody Out There" fares a little better, although it isn't quite memorable itself. "Queenie Eye" is pretty decent even if the lyrics are a little too goofy. "Turned Out" is also pretty enjoyable...why was this one a bonus track? "Road" is an interesting track and "Get Me Out of Here" is utterly ridiculous. Paul's in pretty good form vocally although when you compare it to his previous albums like Memory Almost Full or even Electronic Arguments, he doesn't seem to be taking a lot of risks with his voice.

Overall this is a decent album, and I agree with the consensus here that a lot of these songs tend to grow on you.
Awesoman

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 am

Awesoman wrote:I'm not sure what to think of New. I don't really dislike it, but I can't say I've really embraced it either. I'd say I like about half the songs on there. The one tune that really stuck out for me is "I Can Bet" with it's pretty catchy hook. "Save Us" seems like a tuneless throwaway rocker that doesn't really grab me. "Everybody Out There" fares a little better, although it isn't quite memorable itself. "Queenie Eye" is pretty decent even if the lyrics are a little too goofy. "Turned Out" is also pretty enjoyable...why was this one a bonus track? "Road" is an interesting track and "Get Me Out of Here" is utterly ridiculous. Paul's in pretty good form vocally although when you compare it to his previous albums like Memory Almost Full or even Electronic Arguments, he doesn't seem to be taking a lot of risks with his voice.

Overall this is a decent album, and I agree with the consensus here that a lot of these songs tend to grow on you.

My advice is to keep listening. This album has tremendous depth and is in my top 4 along with Ram, Band on the Run and Chaos.

Re: the lyrics on Queenie Eye - you do realize the chorus came from a kid's game, right? If you have been a fan of Paul's for awhile he often uses metaphors with his lyrics. Many think this song is largely about Heather trying to defame him and taking his money. "(who's got the ball? I haven't got it. It isn't in my pocket"...."dogs and bitches hunt for fame"....Heather going to the press with claims of abuse).

Agree that Turned Out should have been on the album proper. BTW I like Memory Almost Full a lot, but New is so good I think it beats the hell out of it!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

ComeOnBrotha, you nail it with "Queenie Eye." Next to "Early Days," these are my favorite lyrics on the album. It's probably no accident that Paul writes better when he's dealing with personal issues he'd like to set straight. I think the lyrics to "Queenie Eye" compare favorably to some of the best lyrics of his solo career.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:ComeOnBrotha, you nail it with "Queenie Eye." Next to "Early Days," these are my favorite lyrics on the album. It's probably no accident that Paul writes better when he's dealing with personal issues he'd like to set straight. I think the lyrics to "Queenie Eye" compare favorably to some of the best lyrics of his solo career.

I am so glad he wrote Early Days and held nothing back. Not just for his fans, but mostly for him letting all the so-called Beatles experts know exactly where they stand - on the outside looking in. It's so revealing that in some of the reviews I have read that the reviewer seemed offended by the call out, "Now everybody seems to have their own opinions of who did this and who did that...But as for me I don't see how they can remember when they weren't where it was at" inferring Paul was bitter, even though they liked the song otherwise. I believe this is the first time he has responded in one of his songs to all of the half-truths and out and out lies that have been written about The Beatles over the last 4+ decades since they broke up. It sure seems he let a lot go over the years without getting into a pissing match. This song is simply the perspective from a 71-year old man who was actually there, shaking his head and saying, "No, that's not right". He doesn't have to rewrite history when he was a part of history, nor does he need to explain it. I love that song for its raw honesty, including the rough vocal. It's one of the best songs he has ever written and that's saying a lot considering everything he has done.
ComeOnBrotha

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Couldn't have said it better re: "Early Days," ComeOnBrotha.

You're right. When has he EVER bitched in song about this kind of thing? Plenty of interviews, yes...although not so much in recent years. The only thing I find odd (not bitter) is that he put this song out now, instead of 15-20 years ago, when the revisionist history was in full throttle.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:Couldn't have said it better re: "Early Days," ComeOnBrotha.

You're right. When has he EVER bitched in song about this kind of thing? Plenty of interviews, yes...although not so much in recent years. The only thing I find odd (not bitter) is that he put this song out now, instead of 15-20 years ago, when the revisionist history was in full throttle.

Yeah, I've seen him chapped in interviews, but the best way for him to answer is through song so he can reach a lot of people. That's what he does best anyway. He really could have gotten nasty if he wanted to, but that's just not him. Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock and Roll to me" or "That's Not Her Style" were far more combative for example. That's not Paul's style though.
ComeOnBrotha

Postby JimQ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Right..... I've had a lot of travelling to do so I listened very critically to all my favourite macca albums..... and....... NEW is my favourite (which I think technically might make it one of my favourite albums ever). Don't attack me - I've done my best to shake these thoughts off, but listened to all together I saw that the only reason I thought others were better was because they were old and venerated. New has everything I love about Macca in one place. The only song I'm not crazy about is New - and the rest of the planet likes that so I accept I'm wrong (Why can't I look at him?!). I even found my uninitiated girlfriend humming Queenie Eye at me BEFORE I tormented her with the album! Lots of friends (who mocked my macca fanhood for years!) have come up and said "you're a McCartney fan right? Love that Queenie Eye off the radio"!
I Can Bet has a lot of what I liked about Wings and Tug of War. I always smile at the Moog solo - though a great song I think he's poking fun at himself musically too in this one. I get the chills from the Early Days "and your inspiration long may it last..." . His silly little wooo backing vocals all over the place, the wonderful playout bit at the end of Turned Out, the harmonies in Everybody out there, the chordal twists and turns of Hosanna....Mmmmm.... the experimental yet strong and confident appreciate and Road. The lack of cringe lyrics really helps - no balloons on the foot, no one's breath to smell a mile away.... :)The only album I feel guilty about not having in the top spot is CACITB as its such an emotive and beautifully crafted masterpiece. And I am not crazy - I was still a massive fan before either of these albums existed - I love RAM and BOR... hey, even PTP!
JimQ

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:36 pm

JimQ wrote:Right..... I've had a lot of travelling to do so I listened very critically to all my favourite macca albums..... and....... NEW is my favourite (which I think technically might make it one of my favourite albums ever). Don't attack me - I've done my best to shake these thoughts off, but listened to all together I saw that the only reason I thought others were better was because they were old and venerated. New has everything I love about Macca in one place. The only song I'm not crazy about is New - and the rest of the planet likes that so I accept I'm wrong (Why can't I look at him?!). I even found my uninitiated girlfriend humming Queenie Eye at me BEFORE I tormented her with the album! Lots of friends (who mocked my macca fanhood for years!) have come up and said "you're a McCartney fan right? Love that Queenie Eye off the radio"!
I Can Bet has a lot of what I liked about Wings and Tug of War. I always smile at the Moog solo - though a great song I think he's poking fun at himself musically too in this one. I get the chills from the Early Days "and your inspiration long may it last..." . His silly little wooo backing vocals all over the place, the wonderful playout bit at the end of Turned Out, the harmonies in Everybody out there, the chordal twists and turns of Hosanna....Mmmmm.... the experimental yet strong and confident appreciate and Road. The lack of cringe lyrics really helps - no balloons on the foot, no one's breath to smell a mile away.... :)The only album I feel guilty about not having in the top spot is CACITB as its such an emotive and beautifully crafted masterpiece. And I am not crazy - I was still a massive fan before either of these albums existed - I love RAM and BOR... hey, even PTP!

Man...I know what you mean about cheating on Chaos :lol: There's a NEW girl in town and she's got Everybody Out There excited
ComeOnBrotha

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:00 pm

JimQ, you asked of the song "New", why can't we look at him. Well, Macca says why right there: "Don't look at me, it's way too soon to see what's gonna be". As in, you know, 'hey I kinda like you and I'd like to get to know you, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet...' Does that make any sense? That's how I see it, anyway. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:05 pm

JimQ, agree with a lot of what you say here. Although I'm not ready to pronounce NEW his best album ever, I do think it's right up there with his best work.

I'm purposely staying away from it for awhile (if I can! Sometimes I have a playlist that contains some of the songs and they'll pop up) until my Japanese import comes in. And I'm hoping the damn thing gets here sooner rather than later!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions