Hosanna

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Hosanna

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:29 pm

First of all, I really like this song. There have been some varying opinions as to how good it is and as mentioned in other threads I think this one had previously suffered from high expectations. While I still think the chorus could have been more powerful, it has definitely grown on me with each listen. There is a lot of musical depth, even more than I realized at first.

This song would have fit beautifully as one of the best on Chaos and is everything "How Kind of You" and "From a Lover to a Friend" wanted to be.

I think long after the initial excitement of New wears off, this ends up in my top 3. Really enjoying this :-BD
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Re: Hosanna

Postby JimQ » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Yay!! It's a magical little number with good lyrics and clever chordie twists and turns :) I find my hipster angsty anti-mccartney friends like it a lot! I'm glad to see someone coming round! I see what you mean about the chorus but overall its a great great song.
JimQ

Postby mhnso » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Hosannah is imho a real stunner of a song and an unbevably well ececuted recording. Just listen to the melodic basslines or the tapeloops or the shimmering Electric guitar. This is one for eternity.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:13 pm

I've come around. Really like it now. Gets better with each listen.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:16 pm

mhnso wrote:Hosannah is imho a real stunner of a song and an unbevably well ececuted recording. Just listen to the melodic basslines or the tapeloops or the shimmering Electric guitar. This is one for eternity.

Yep. The bass line in particular is fantastic, not surprising but delightful coming from the master himself.
ComeOnBrotha

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 pm

JimQ wrote:Yay!! It's a magical little number with good lyrics and clever chordie twists and turns :) I find my hipster angsty anti-mccartney friends like it a lot! I'm glad to see someone coming round! I see what you mean about the chorus but overall its a great great song.

The chord structure is quite unexpected. Now your friends can actually BE hip :lol:
ComeOnBrotha

Postby mr h atom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 am

:? ...it is quite a nice song...alot deeper than it first seemed to me...def a grower
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby bravefan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:26 am

I didn't see what the big deal was about the song the first time I listened. It really does grow on you. Now if it would happen to me on "Appreciate".
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 am

Hosannah
This song didn t immediately grab my attention - but that certainly has changed. For me it has turned out to be one of the true highlights on an album rather filled with such. Why is that?
The melody. Hosannah has a beautiful melody and interesting harmonies. Melodically it s different from any other Maccasong I can think of. It took a few listenings but now it has stuck(I believe forever) in my head

The arrangement and production - It s dreamy and a bit psychedelic but holds the mood of the song extremely well . Without actually sounding like the Beatles this certainly has the air and quality of that band during the Revolver era. It is that good. The shimmering electric guitars, deep vocal effects and the drums altogether makes this track a real moodpiece with a certain hymnlike quality

Pauls bassplaying. - In my opinion the most melodic and deep bass to find on this album.

The lyrics.-Could have been a simple lovesong but the song-title and chorus were the lovers "sing Hosannah tol the morning sun" proves it s far from it. So what does Hosannah mean?
"Hosannah is a Joyful Aramaic exclamation of praise, apparently specific to the major Jewish religious festivals Originally an appeal for deliverance (Heb. hosia na, Hosanna is a Hebrew term which is derived from the words yasha, which means “save,” and na, which is an expression of entreaty or request and can be translated in a variety of ways–for example, “now,” “I pray,” “I beseech,” “please "

I have no doubt that this song in one way or another reflects that both Linda and Pauls current wife have jewish background. Even though Hosannah also is used in the christian liturgy.
Does all this mean that Hosannah is a religious song? Actually it s hard to tell. The word Hosannah here might be used as a celebration of earthly love. On the other hand the earthly love can be seen as a manifestation of the divine power. The way I follow this song is that the two lovers after initial doubt and struggle finally give in to love and being close to one another. Their celebration of love also being the celebration of God. It s mysterious and strange and very far from the more one dimensional lovesongs Pauls occasionally have been guilty of. Anyway I find it rather intriguing.
Hosannah -more than a Macca song - follows the footsteps of people like Jeff Buckley,Leonard Cohen or maybe Paul Simon. I find this song to be the perhaps most inspirational and truly beatiful music on the album . It might be one of those forgotten gems that we know exists plentiful of in Maccas catalogue. But it deserves to be a classic.
Only complaint.-It ends to soon.
Masterpiece.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 am

Has become one of my favorite songs on the CD. This, "Early Days," "Queenie Eye," "Turned Out," and "Appreciate" are gems among an album full of gems.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions